Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Peter Jarrett
Topic Author

"Send" currently playing item to another Roku

Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi All,

One feature I would love to have is to be able to use the remote on one roku to send the current item to my other Roku. I have 2 rokus in the house, a 1000 and a 2000. One is upstairs and the other is downstairs. Would be great if i could click Select, then scroll to "Send to RokuLounge" or vice versa.

In the morning I get up, stick on either a music playlist or BBC Radio 2 and then listen upstairs. I then turn it off and go downstairs and have to turn the other one on and bring up what i was listening to upstairs manually.

If this is an internet station from my favourites then it's not a huge issue, but if i'm listening to an album or playlist then it's annoying to have to search again, then skip through to the track I was listening to.

As i'm on 3.0 and obviously can control both rokus from the web, it would be great if roku 1 could send a message to Radio Roku and get it to relay the command onto my other roku as if i had just clicked to play - that way they don't 'even need to know each other exist directly. I suppose I could even then click "Send to RokuWork" and have my one in the office start playing for when I get in :D

Ok, I see at least 2 issues:

1) if i'm listening to a DRM track then I totally understand that roku 1 would have to surrender the license before 2 could start playing it - no problem there, i can't hear either as i come down the stairs anyway!

2) Ideally it would be great if it would pick up mid-track when listening to a song - more than likely this is WAY beyond do-able with the current server architecture, so i'm happy to just have it re-start the current track.

Anyway just my tuppence worth - keep up the great work though, have loved my Roku for 4 years and climbing - and RadioRoku is the best thing I've seen for internet radio management!