Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wurstere
Topic Author

Roku express unable to connect through HDMI ports on Samsung TV

Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:36 pm

I have been struggling to connect my new Roku Express to an old Samsung TV (model# LN37A450 - C1DXZA). It's a 37", 720P TV, specs available here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _720p.html

I've tried everything I can find on the internet regarding this issue and this TV. I unplugged the TV for 10+ minutes and then reconnected the HDMI table with Roku powered on (plugged in). I tried a hard reset of the TV. I've tried all of the HDMI ports on the TV. Other HDMI devices function on the TV. The Roku Express and the HDMI cable work on another TV, just not on this one.

I'm out of ideas. Is there anything else I can try?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku express unable to connect through HDMI ports on Samsung TV

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:06 pm

Which port do you have it plugged into?  Sometimes, HDMI 1 is the best option.  Have you tried it with all HDMI ports, and/or with various HDMI cables (some work better than others).

I'll check tomorrow to see if we have a similar unit in-house (though I doubt it).  I'm a little concerned with the make/model & compatibility with the 720p TV.  
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

wurstere
Topic Author

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:07 am

I've tried it in each of the ports with no luck. The TV can detect that something is plugged into the port (when plugged into HDMI1 for example, only HDMI1 shows as a selection option when selecting "source" on TV remote), it just keeps saying "no signal." Also when I unplug it, it goes from "no signal" to "check connection" or something like that.

I tried HDMI1 again, also this time with a different cord (again, I'd tried that before too) but this time also didn't work.

At this point unless anyone can suggest anything else, I'm considering giving up and exchanging the Roku Express for a Roku Express+ so that I can plug it into the RCA input. I'm worried though that this will appear really pixellated on a 720p TV. Do you think it will look ok? I don't need it to be super high quality HD or anything, but it would be annoying if it were noticeably pixellated.

Many thanks...

atc98092

Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 am

Had your Express been connected to another TV before trying on this one? It almost sounds like the Express is set to 1080, which of course doesn't match the set. If you have another TV available, I'd try it there. It's always possible that it is defective, too.

Do you see the dancing Roku letters when you first power it up? If not, then either the TV has faulty inputs or the Roku is defective.
Roku Stick (2016), 4 and Ultra, Insignia Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, 40+Mbps DSL from CenturyLink

wurstere
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:39 am

Since it wasn't working on this TV, I took it upstairs and did the initial setup on another TV and it worked fine. At that point I set it to 720P so that it would be set properly for the downstairs TV. Then took it back to the old TV and it still didn't work. So I'm pretty confident the Express is fine and it is something with the TV or with incompatibility between the two.

So I'm thinking I just return it, get an Express+ and use RCA inputs. Let me know if anyone has any further thoughts. Thanks for your help.

wurstere
Topic Author

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 am

But I'm not sure which Roku dancing letters you mean. But it seems to start up normally on the other TV, just doesn't show anything on the Samsung TV.

T_J

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 am

BING / Samsung says A450 series Samsung is 2008 model.

I have a 2007 Samsung LNT2642HX/XAA, 720P, 26 inch.

HDMI ports on my 2007 Samsung TV have worked great with several Rokus over the years, N1000 first, then XDS, now Roku 2 (4210R).

Roku 2 / 2007 720P 26-inch Samsung picture looks about the same as my Premiere Plus / 2016 1080P 40-inch Sony TV. Both TV pictures look ok with my slow DSL.