Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Tkdkid717
Topic Author

Roku Ultra - Audio Popping and Clicking

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:31 am

Hey all,
I've noticed occasional digital chirps and audio pops while watching content on my Roku Ultra. They don't happen too frequently (well, happening at all is too frequently) but occur about every 10-20 min. I ran through every trouble shooting step available such as restarting the system,factory resetting the system, switching the hdmi, switching the hdmi port, playing the content through my TV's speakers rather than my home theatre system's, and switching the output of the Roku from an hdmi cable to an optical cable. I replaced the device with my old Roku 3, and could not replicate the issue. The unit was purchased the first week of December. Is it faulty, or is this some firmware issue? It is on the most recent firmware version.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku Ultra - Audio Popping and Clicking

Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 am

C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

TheBoltman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 am

I too am having this issue with an audio chirping / popping / clicking on my Roku Ultra. It happens with all the channels I use at a frequency of every 10-15 minutes. I have a VIZIO Model #E50u-D2 display and a Vizio Model #SB4551-D5 sound bar. I have the Roku Ultra connected the display via HDMI in and the sound bar and connected to the display's audio out via HDMI-ARC. I hear the chirping or popping only on the Roku and not any other device. It happens on all channels and is now driving me nuts. I've tried returning it for another Roku Ultra just after first purchasing the device last December (2016) and I'm still having issues. I've tried calling the Roku support several times and they're useless. I can honestly say that I now actively try to watch content on my other devices (such as Chromecast or Apple TV) since they have great video AND audio. Also, I tell my friends to get and Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast or Apple TV and NOT a Roku because of this issue. Please, please come up with a resolution for this and train your support staff on how to handle it! It was an issue December 2016, it's still an issue March 2017! My most recent call to Roku customer support was 3/16/2017 and resulted in ZERO progress and Roku support case number 6582932.

NOTE: I've tried all the trouble shooting there is. Reset to factory default. Delete and reinstall the channel. Check internet speed (I have the Roku hard wired and get around 260Mbps down/up). Make sure night audio mode isn't on. Try different audio out types (auto, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS). Switching to a different HDMI input on the display. Using a different HDMI cable. Chromecast works without issue. Apple TV works without issue. ROKU HAS ISSUES!

Roku: Ultra (connected to display via HDMI) (Up-to-date Firmware)
Display: VIZIO Model #E50u-D2 (Up-to-date Firmware)
Audio: Vizio Model #SB4551-D5 Sound Bar (connected to display via HDMI-ARC) (Up-to-date Firmware)
Apple TV: Gen 4, 64GB Model #MLNC2LL/A (connected to display via HDMI) (Up-to-date Firmware) NO AUDIO ISSUE
Chromecast: Built into VIZIO Display Model #E50u-D2, Content "Cast" form Apple iPhone (Up-to-date Firmware) NO AUDIO ISSUE
Last edited by TheBoltman on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Breadman86

Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 pm

TheBoltman wrote:
I too am having this issue with an audio chirping / popping / clicking on my Roku Ultra. It happens with all the channels I use at a frequency of every 10-15 minutes. I have a VIZIO Model #E50-D2 display and a Vizio Model #SB4551-D5 sound bar. I have the Roku Ultra connected the display via HDMI in and the sound bar and connected to the display's audio out via HDMI-ARC. I hear the chirping or popping only on the Roku and not any other device. It happens on all channels and is now driving me nuts. I've tried returning it for another Roku Ultra just after first purchasing the device last December (2016) and I'm still having issues. I've tried calling the Roku support several times and they're useless. I can honestly say that I now actively try to watch content on my other devices (such as Chromecast or Apple TV) since they have great video AND audio. Also, I tell my friends to get and Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast or Apple TV and NOT a Roku because of this issue. Please, please come up with a resolution for this and train your support staff on how to handle it! It was an issue December 2016, it's still an issue March 2017! My most recent call to Roku customer support was 3/16/2017 and resulted in ZERO progress and Roku support case number 6582932.

In the exact same boat. I have a Roku Ultra, a Vizeo P-Series display with a Vizio soundbar hooked up over ARC. I bought the Roku Ultra the week it came out, and I didn't have ANY popping issues before January. Then an update came out and I'm getting all the same symptoms you are as well. I don't have any audio issues on any other devices. It's only on the Roku, and every channel on the Roku. 

TheBoltman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

As of yesterday, my device was up-to-date. No, I'm not using an audio-video receiver. The Roku Ultra is plugged directly into the VIZIO Model #E50u-D2 Display via HDMI and the Display is plugged directly into the Vizio Model #SB4551-D5 Sound Bar via HDMI-ARC. Here is how my Roku Ultra is configured.

TheBoltman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Here is an update with more specific information.

Old case ID from the first time I called in 2002650. New case ID from my most recent call 6582932.

Roku: 4640X - Roku Ultra (Firmware Version 7.5.1 Build 4111-29 | Last updated 21 Feb 2017, 1:43pm | Last checked 15 Mar 2017, 8:06pm)
Display: VIZIO Model #E50u-D2 (Firmware Version 3.0.13.5, Cast Version 1.21.75378)
Audio: Vizio Model #SB4551-D5 Sound Bar (connected to display via HDMI-ARC) (Up-to-date Firmware)
Apple TV: Gen 4, 64GB Model #MLNC2LL/A (connected to display via HDMI) (Firmware tvOS 10.1.1) NO AUDIO ISSUE
Chromecast: Built into VIZIO Display Model #E50u-D2, Content "Cast" form Apple iPhone (Up-to-date Firmware) NO AUDIO ISSUE

Here's a link to this Roku support forum URL http://bit.ly/2nexmil if you want to include it in your emails to help@roku.com.

Here's a video I just recorded. At about 3, 8 and 19 Seconds in this clip you can hear the Roku Ultra Audio Chirping / Popping / Clicking. Understand that this was recorded on my phone and the sound is much more pronounced in person. 

https://youtu.be/k9wQIfxnHrM

Buzzsaw

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Roku knows about the issue. We have been stuck with it since January...
in January Shawn wrote:
-------------------------------------
Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:27 pm
Hey guys and gals.  I apologize for not getting to this thread sooner.

We're aware of the audio issues some of you are experiencing, and are working on a solution.  I don't have an ETA yet on when it will be available, but hopefully it won't be much longer.

I'll pass along any information as it gets to me.

C. Shawn Smith
-----------------------------------------

The issue was caused by the last firmware update...obviously ROKU has a different idea of what "It won't be much longer" means...
It has been TWO FULL MONTHS NOW...still nothing. Those of us that bought Premier+ and Ultra's because they were the latest and greatest were taken to the cleaners...
Roku Ultra
Samsung 4K HDR 8500 series, 65 inch
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR

TheBoltman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:
Roku knows about the issue. We have been stuck with it since January...
in January Shawn wrote:
-------------------------------------
Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:27 pm
Hey guys and gals.  I apologize for not getting to this thread sooner.

We're aware of the audio issues some of you are experiencing, and are working on a solution.  I don't have an ETA yet on when it will be available, but hopefully it won't be much longer.

I'll pass along any information as it gets to me.

C. Shawn Smith
-----------------------------------------

The issue was caused by the last firmware update...obviously ROKU has a different idea of what "It won't be much longer" means...
It has been TWO FULL MONTHS NOW...still nothing. Those of us that bought Premier+ and Ultra's because they were the latest and greatest were taken to the cleaners...

Buzzsaw, if you look at the image I posted of the Twitter direct message they sent me (03/16/2017), you can see that they commented "there was an update that should have remedied this issue". I saw that post from Shawn but didn't see any updates and the other thread is now locked. Clearly they think the issue has been put to bed. And I agree, we definitely were taken to the cleaners. It's my opinion there should be a voluntary recall / refund if they can't get this sorted out.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:59 pm

The thread was locked for other reasons.

We're still investigating why the issue wasn't solved for everyone (which we fully expected it to be).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

TheBoltman

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:27 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:

We're still investigating why the issue wasn't solved for everyone (which we fully expected it to be).

Shawn, Thanks for following up on this thread. Will you please keep us updated with new firmware versions Roku expects to release addressing the chirping, clicking and popping as well as other advancements dealing with this issue?
Last edited by TheBoltman on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mizzer56

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:21 pm

I wanted to chime in here.

I've had this problem for a while now on my Ultra.  Currently on 7.5.1. firmware with build 4111 I think. The last update was in February.

The Roku is connected directly to my television (Sony KDL55W700B).  I hear the "chirps" and "pops" from the television speakers and from my receiver when I have my external speakers fired up.  The only thing I notice that IS different from before is that the sound no longer cuts out or diminishes after a pop.  It stays at the same level.  Before, it would become several levels quieter.  Now it just pops and keeps on going.  Very annoying!

Please help!

netnothing

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 am

RokuShawnS wrote:

Is there anything any of us can do to help?  Not sure how one would go about getting into a beta program, but I'm willing to help where I can.  I (and my family) are getting tired of the pops/chirps.
-Kevin

Eluder

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Noticed this recently with my Roku Ultra as well, occurs if I'm using my surround system or connected directly to the TV and outputting through the builtin speakers.

I've tried multiple TVs and multiple HDMI cables so it's definitely not the other devices and it seems to only occur in Netflix for me.

TheBoltman

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm

If you come to this thread with your Roku Ultra popping, clicking, or chirping, please add your Roku firmware and build details as well as as much information you can about your TV/display and or speakers. I'm hoping the more info we can provide here, the quicker Roku will be able to identify the issue and submit a resolution for it. Also, let's let them know if we'd be willing to accept a replacement or be in a beta. Let's make sure they know we're unsatisfied with the device. 

netnothing

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Here are my details:

Roku Ultra
version: 7.5.1
build 4111-29
Audio HDMI auto detect (have also tried forcing DD+ with no change)

High speed Amazon HDMI UHD cables.
From Roku Ultra -> Yamaha RX-V481 -> Samsung KS9000
Have also gone directly into KS9000 bypassing AVR

Chirps happen in the following channels: Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu (those are the only ones tested).

I do not get any HDCP errors.  Really only issue with Ultra is the chirps.

-Kevin