Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

huskerbear

Re: Need input on Roku and OTA DVR

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:28 am

I'll try. Under live tv you you get a channel number grid, naming what's on each channel the next 2 hours. You can scroll and click on a particular show and recording options pop up....much like directv. Under the guide tab (I like) TV shows and movies, based on guide data for the antenna channels you receive are arranged in block format alphabetically. Think cover art like on a DVD case......6 rows wide, scrolling down A-Z. This makes it easy to find shows you would have otherwise had no clue were on your locals, I know I was surprised. Click on any of them to record all, or record new. Pretty slick set up. Hope that helps.

JMM1

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:23 am

I've been using the Tablo for almost a month.

I purchased the Tablo and Hard Drive from Amazon. I also bought two indoor antennas.

When I first installed the Tablo it wouldn't recognize the hard drive even though it was on the approved list. I contacted support and it took about 24 hours for them answer. A firmware update they had recently released was causing the drive not to be recognized. I sent Support my Tablo's MAC Address and he was able to upload a Beta firmware that fixed the problem. FYI you will need to use Chrome to setup the Tablo. I would also recommend a wired connection unless you have really fast wifi.

When I first set it up I was having problems getting a good signal from the local ABC Station. I checked tvfool.com and found that my best bet would be another indoor antenna. I could have gone with a roof or attic mounted antenna but I didn't want to go that route yet. I may go with an attic antenna in the future. I connected both antenna's to the Tablo using a splitter for $5.46. 

I was having problems when recording two shows at the same time. They would be pixelated and fade in and out. About a week ago they did another update and the problem was fixed.

I highly recommend the Tablo for recording your local TV.

vnazario

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am

SJMaye wrote:
vnazario wrote:
Hello:

Have you launched the OperaTV store on your TiVo?  There is a limited native apps on TiVo but there are hundreds you can add from the OperaTV store of your TiVo.

As far as Roku DVR solutions so you don't have to change inputs:

1.  Tablo- Most reliable solution but requires monthly sub fee
2.  Simple.TV-  You can buy a used gen 1 single tuner unit with lifetime for under $100.  However, the company RSS is about to go under and we don't know when they will pull the plugs on their service.  (you can read what is going on in their forums:  http://community.simple.tv )
3.  EyeTV-  Requires Roku private channel NowhereDVR and a fast performing Apple PC (Core2Duo or newer model) and ElGato EyeTV tuner.  You can use an older Mac fine for DVR recording and watching recording content but Live TV will not transcode good to Roku when running from Mac with older/slower hardware.
4.  HD HomeRun with PLEX media server.  You can record and watch recordings via PLEX media server but not live TV
5.  PLEX-  PLEX has a DVR solution but is for PLEX PASS members only.  Sorry, don't know much about it.
6.  PLAYON/PLAYLATER for Roku rquires PC running PLAYON Media Server.
7.  Check out SlingTV, PS Vue and other streaming services that offer some cloud based DVR/catchup options.

I have seen the OperaTV store, but to be honest I never really looked at it much.  Are you saying I can get other streaming services like crackle and others there?  

Regarding SlingTV-  This will definitely be part of the cord cutting solution.  I love everything about SlingTV except I still can't get my local channels there.  It is either cable or antenna.  My only real issue in cutting the cord with my friendly neighborhood cable company is local channels.  I just need a dvr and antenna to do it.  My Bolt can do that, but still need more streaming apps like SlingTV which I understand will likely never make it to Tivo.

Hello again:

Don't know how well this works, but this is Sling TV's current broadcast TV solution:  https://www.sling.com/devices/airtv

I still favor Tablo or Simple.TV as my Roku OTA antenna DVR solutions.

Play around with your TiVo, there are many many many streaming apps to add.  Not to mention it also supports PLEX so you can add even more content to it if you add a PLEX media server to your home setup.  Newer Sony Blu Ray players have many the most native apps of other BR players, support screen mirroring, PLEX and has the OperaTV store for even more streaming apps.  The only downside is that inputting text from the remote is cumbersome but you can use the smartphone remote app for this which is better IMO.

Hope this information is helpful to you. 

vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

gkl

Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

vnazario wrote:
Hello:

I don't know why you say TiVo is limited with its streaming apps?  Have you launched the OperaTV store on your TiVo?  There is a limited native apps on TiVo but there are hundreds you can add from the OperaTV store of your TiVo.

2.  Simple.TV-  You can buy a used gen 1 single tuner unit with lifetime for under $100.  However, the company RSS is about to go under and we don't know when they will pull the plugs on their service.  (you can read what is going on in their forums:  http://community.simple.tv )
3.  EyeTV-  Requires Roku private channel NowhereDVR and a fast performing Apple PC (Core2Duo or newer model) and ElGato EyeTV tuner.  You can use an older Mac fine for DVR recording and watching recording content but Live TV will not transcode good to Roku when running from Mac with older/slower hardware.
4.  HD HomeRun with PLEX media server.  You can record and watch recordings via PLEX media server but not live TV
5.  PLEX-  PLEX has a DVR solution but is for PLEX PASS members only.  Sorry, don't know much about it.
7.  Check out SlingTV, PS Vue and other streaming services that offer some cloud based DVR/catchup options.

But the only 3 solutions that integrate with Roku are Tablo, Simple.TV and EyeTV.  With these you don't need to change inputs on your TV.  But TiVo is an excellent DVR and streaming device.  I have a TiVo Premiere.  The only thing I don't like about TiVo streaming is that it is slow performing and loading apps and TiVo is just stand-a-lone for only one TV unless you spend a lot of money on TiVo mini and TiVo stream add-ons which is a deal-breaker for me.

I use Simple.TV and EyeTV for my multi-room via Roku and outside home DVR solution and TiVo on my main TV.  Since TiVo supports PLEX and PLEX has a Simple.TV app, I can watch my recordings from my Simple.TV DVR on my TiVo and on my Sony Blu Ray player.

Hope this information and tips help.

I still use my Simple TVs sparingly.  I wouldn't invest a penny in it, however. I'm less concerned about recording (I use my Channel Master DVR+ for that, which is connected to our primary TV).  I do like being able to watch live TV on a variety of devices.  On that score, the Simple TV is already becoming outdated, as it hasn't be updated (or supported in any way) for at least two years.  As we now have two Fire Tablets, for which no Simple TV app is available, its usefulness is becoming more and more limited.

Am I correct that you can use a Tablo for watching live TV and for recording (by not scheduling much beyond 24-48 hours) without a subscription?  I'm considering one, but also waiting for the new Mohu Airwave for a free live TV solution. We don't watch enough broadcast TV to justify a subscription of any kind.
1 Mohu Sky antenna
2 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antennas
3 Roku 3s, 1 Roku 2
1 Apple TV 3, 1 Fire TV Stick
2 first generation Simple.TVs
1 Channel Master DVR+
1 Samsung BluRay/DVD player
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)

SJMaye
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:54 pm

gkl wrote:
Am I correct that you can use a Tablo for watching live TV and for recording (by not scheduling much beyond 24-48 hours) without a subscription?  I'm considering one, but also waiting for the new Mohu Airwave for a free live TV solution. We don't watch enough broadcast TV to justify a subscription of any kind.

The Tablo does have a subscription at $5/mo or $150 lifetime.   I don't want a subscription either, but I am willing to pay that for the functionality.   We still watch a lot of local programming, but all recorded.  
My Tivo is a really great system with the Minis.  Works perfect for me.  My only issue is that now that I am ready to cut the cord I better understand what my needs are.  I need OTA local programming, Netflix, Amazon (for Prime) and something that will fill the cable channel void.  This could be filled by SlingTV, Direct+TV NOW, PS Vue, but none of these apps are available on the Tivo nor does Tivo seem interested in making them available.  
Due to all this I am looking at the Roku as my central platform and adding an OTA DVR such as Tablo.

vnazario

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:42 pm

gkl wrote:
vnazario wrote:
Hello:

I don't know why you say TiVo is limited with its streaming apps?  Have you launched the OperaTV store on your TiVo?  There is a limited native apps on TiVo but there are hundreds you can add from the OperaTV store of your TiVo.

But the only 3 solutions that integrate with Roku are Tablo, Simple.TV and EyeTV.  With these you don't need to change inputs on your TV.  But TiVo is an excellent DVR and streaming device.  I have a TiVo Premiere.  The only thing I don't like about TiVo streaming is that it is slow performing and loading apps and TiVo is just stand-a-lone for only one TV unless you spend a lot of money on TiVo mini and TiVo stream add-ons which is a deal-breaker for me.

I use Simple.TV and EyeTV for my multi-room via Roku and outside home DVR solution and TiVo on my main TV.  Since TiVo supports PLEX and PLEX has a Simple.TV app, I can watch my recordings from my Simple.TV DVR on my TiVo and on my Sony Blu Ray player.

Hope this information and tips help.

I still use my Simple TVs sparingly.  I wouldn't invest a penny in it, however. I'm less concerned about recording (I use my Channel Master DVR+ for that, which is connected to our primary TV).  I do like being able to watch live TV on a variety of devices.  On that score, the Simple TV is already becoming outdated, as it hasn't be updated (or supported in any way) for at least two years.  As we now have two Fire Tablets, for which no Simple TV app is available, its usefulness is becoming more and more limited.

Hello gkl:
   Some things I want to clarify:
1.  You are correct in the fact that Simple.TV is no longer supported and that it is in its last legs but it is still operational and you can get a used gen 1 unit with lifetime (no monthly fee).  This is what I use.  When Simple goes dark then the obvious substitute is a Tablo but I will hold off on paying sub fees as much as I can.
2.  As far as Simple.TV app on your Amazon Fire devices:
You can sideload the Simple.TV app to your fire using the Apps2Fire app
You can search for the apk and install it that way via cloud storage and ESFileExplorer app
You can use the PLEX app and use the Simple.TV app/plugin within PLEX
You can use Simple.TV from your devices web browser and install Wukong pointer app or use a BT wireless mouse for better navigation. (This is how I use it).
You use a DVR+ and I use TiVo but these are standalone options.  Only Simple, Tablo and EyeTV offer multi-room and off-site live TV and recording access.  HD Homerun you can record to your PLEX Media Server and watch multi-room and off site your recordings but not live TV
For the road, you can watch Live TV using apps like USTVNow, Mobdro, Channel Pear and use PLEX for your recordings.  So, with a little imagination and resolve you can still find ways to live without Simple.TV when the day comes but certainly paying for Tablo is the easiest most straight forward replacement.
I like the fact that PLEX has a Simple.TV app so I can watch on my TiVo, Sony BR, Roku's, Android streamers my recordings.  So, even if you don't use Simple as your primary DVR you can use it as a recording unit to build your PLEX library.  Simple.TV also has an app that allows you to transfer and convert files to other devices.  Not sure if Tablo has a similar tool. 
Hope this information helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

gkl

Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:50 am

vnazario,

Thanks for the reply.  I may look into your Simple TV solution for the Fire tablet.  I had loaded the Google Play Store, which I believe has a Simple TV app, so that I could use Vudu on the Fire table, but then some of my Fire apps didn't work correctly.
1 Mohu Sky antenna
2 Mohu Leaf Ultimate antennas
3 Roku 3s, 1 Roku 2
1 Apple TV 3, 1 Fire TV Stick
2 first generation Simple.TVs
1 Channel Master DVR+
1 Samsung BluRay/DVD player
HP Stream Mini (Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)