Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bwaslo

Re: Roku 7.7 software issues

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am

On a reddit forum site, I saw a post by someone identifying as being with Roku suggesting that I remove the Netflix channel, restart the Roku box, then re-adding the Netflix channel, so, faced with unhappy family that had gathered to watch a movie I tried that.

But now I can't install the Netflix app!  THAT gets to exactly 88% then a message box pops up:
! Channel install failed
___
Could not add 'Netflix'
* Ok 
But.... that's NOT ok.  So what do I do now?  (Just tried it again this morning).

Just saw the suggestion about how to back up firmware versions, will try that.  :(

bwaslo

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:46 am

rockou wrote:
To get to the screen to try and get a previous version installed do this
Press Home 5 Times followed by FF 3 Times followed by RW Twice. 

Got to that screen (thanks for the steps) but the only version offered me on the Update software thing is the 7.7 version I already have.  Guess I can try reloading that again....

bwaslo

Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am

So, I tried to do the update software (to the same version).  Got:

"The software update failed because the verification failed
* OK
Error code: 006".

This is not going well.

bwaslo

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Fortunately, Plex is still working here.  It and Netflix (and occaisionally Amazon) were the only thing we used, wish the Roku guys would stop updating things only to add more channels that I don't want!

farside847

Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:30 pm

Roku 3 4200x - seeing issues when watching videos. Seems to happen in the begining right as it buffers-up to 1080p. At this point the video is frozen and the audio keeps going. Hitting back and resume sometimes fixed it. Other times I need to reboot the roku. I am also seeing the screen flicker after a video is finished and it has the countdown to the next video.

In order this is what happens
 - hit play on a movie
 - movie starts to play at 1080p for a few seconds
 - then shifts to 480p seamlessly for a few seconds
 - then shifts to 720p seamlessly for a few seconds
 - then shifts to 1080p and video pauses - ack!
 - hit back, resume movie
 - plays right off the bat at 1080p through the whole movie
 - movie finishes, goes to next up screen
 - screen flickers horribly

Network test in the netflix app shows 30mbps, not sure why it is doing all the shifting so much between resolutions, but this is done pretty fast so its not really an issue. But thought I would detail it out for folks.

jontalk

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:41 pm

I've had several very long chats with Netflix support who for the most part doesn't seem to realize there's a problem. On another thread ONE comment from Roku stated the temporary work around is setting resolution to 720p which in my opinion shows they have work to do. This plus the fact Netflix hasn't updated their app since early April makes for problems especially when Netflix is the #1 app of any being used on Roku..Their testing obviously overlooked important elements and now all of us are stuck with issues.
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm

Roku is actively working on trying to fix this issue with roku-3 and firmware 7.7
For now, you should be able to revert your firmware back to 7.6 using the secret screen.
rokudale

jontalk

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm

RokuDale wrote:
 Roku is actively working on trying to fix this issue with roku-3 and firmware 7.7
For now, you should be able to revert your firmware back to 7.6 using the secret screen.
rokudale

Yes I was able to revert to v 7.6, though it didn't work properly until power cycling the Roku. I had a long discussion with Netflix Engineering about it and they agree it's a problem with v7.7 firmware.
Mill Valley, CA

bwaslo

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 pm

I tried to go back to 7.6, but the secret screen only gives me the option to 'update' to the very same 7.7 version I have.  I tried to even do that, but it fails with error code 006.  Cylcing servers does nothing I can see.

Can't add Netflix app back in either after removing it.

tillig

Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:43 am

Roku Ultra on 7.7 firmware

Since upgrading I haven't noticed the audio chirps, which is nice, but one of my problems has changed a bit.

On 7.6 firmware, if I left the TV turned off overnight (or during the day when I'm at work), on turning the TV back on the picture would jump and flicker. Basically unreadable. Post reboot things would work fine until the next time I turned the TV off for more than a few hours.

On the 7.7 firmware I don't see the picture flicker - instead it just fails entirely to handshake and come back. The TV doesn't detect any input from the Roku source at all. Of the five times I've seen this happen in the last week, one of those times the Roku did come back after about three full minutes. I've tried waiting it out on subsequent occurrences but it doesn't come back.

I've never looked in the secret menu. I'll have to check that out.

ngs428

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 am

tillig wrote:
Roku Ultra on 7.7 firmware

Since upgrading I haven't noticed the audio chirps, which is nice, but one of my problems has changed a bit.

On 7.6 firmware, if I left the TV turned off overnight (or during the day when I'm at work), on turning the TV back on the picture would jump and flicker. Basically unreadable. Post reboot things would work fine until the next time I turned the TV off for more than a few hours.

On the 7.7 firmware I don't see the picture flicker - instead it just fails entirely to handshake and come back. The TV doesn't detect any input from the Roku source at all. Of the five times I've seen this happen in the last week, one of those times the Roku did come back after about three full minutes. I've tried waiting it out on subsequent occurrences but it doesn't come back.

I've never looked in the secret menu. I'll have to check that out.

Are you running through a Denon receiver? These sound like issues I was having. Switched to 4:2:0 in the secret menu from 4:2:2. Fingers crossed knock on wood it is working now.

nocable

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:54 pm

With the 7.7 release, I am getting some "chirping" noises with my 3600R Stick listening to i-Heart radio stations.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
HDMI Stick - 3600R -- Ver. 7.7.0 -- Build 4094-24
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
ISS STARGAZER
NOWHERE STREAM CHANNEL

jontalk

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:28 am

In my humble opinion firmware version 7.7 is just plain UGLY! In over 10 years using a Roku I've never seen problems like the ones with this release. I hope they're monitoring this forum and will take action though I'm grateful I was able to revert to 7.6
Mill Valley, CA

shonks34

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:13 pm

Upgraded my 3600X to 7.7 and had some odd video playback issues on multiple channels (Hulu, Plex, HboGo, Boomerang) and multiple televisions.  During playback, the video would suddenly go crazy and flash and then end up in a kind of old school, TV station off bars in a variety of colors/patterns and slight audio chirping, but audio was ok in general.  Video definitely messed up.  We have never experienced this behavior before with any Roku device.  To resolve, we would exit the channel and resume playback and all would be well for a while and then the same result.  Seems like it is hitting a buffer of sorts, but I did not time the events.  My family got annoyed and we downgraded to 7.6 and all is well again.

mirtai4

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:28 pm

I have the same issue with Netflix freezing and the screen going dark in between shows. I have also been having issues with Sling freezing in the middle of shows.