Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RobRoy

Re: Roku 7.7 software issues

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:29 am

Last evening my Roku 2 XS v7.7  b4117-02 updated to v7.7 b4127-02. After b4117 my Roku became unstable with slow channel menus and spontaneous reboots. Tested all channels, individual channel menus navigating was very responsive without lags and no spontaneous reboots.

Rob
_
"Life is tough It's even tougher if your stupid" John Wayne
"Expert: A former drip under pressure" My Highschool Physics Teacher
Roku 2XS | Amazon Prime, HBO Go, Netflix, Showtime Anytime, Starz Play, Vudu, Pandora

DaDDz

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:56 am

RokuShawnS wrote:
Guys, we're getting quite a few emails about this, and we're doing our best to get them out.

We managed to get a few of you (I think) tonight.  Another (larger) batch I'm compiling now will go out tomorrow morning.

PLEASE BE  CERTAIN when you email me you follow the instructions in my post above: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=104029&start=195#p566768

I have a special email rule that will autofilter these emails with the EXACT subject line into a special folder to be able to get to it quickly and efficiently.  We also need the EXACT information listed (I've seen at least one email that didn't have the correct information).

I saw the 7.6 downgrade was available when looking at system updates, so went ahead and applied the 7.6 "update".  Will 7.6 be locked there until 7.7 is stable, meaning it won't auto-update to 7.7 tomorrow and we have to go through this again?
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Sonos Surround 5.1Sound System
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Home

jontalk

Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:11 am

My Roku 3 had been rolled back to 7.6 soon after the problems with the previous 7.7 build occurred which allowed me to view Netflix as usual. A week or more ago Netflix updated their app; 2 days ago my Roku automatically updated to 7.7 build 4117 and everything works fine. It's clear Netflix engineering who happens to be in the SAME building as Roku worked together realizing the problem was an issue with the Netflix app being out of date. I'd suggest everyone do an update and make sure they have the latest Netflix build
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

DubTaylor

Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Unfortunately, what works fine for you with Netflix is still broken in a bad way with Plex requiring the rollback to 7.6 so you won't own a little black Roku Brick, formerly known as a Roku 3 4200X.

I have requested the roll back - hasn't happened yet - so I have to use the HDMI cable that runs from my Plex Server to the TV in order to drag a Plex Media Player over there... since my Roku 3 is useless in that regard.

Everything is not 'fine'.

boblinthewild

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:11 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
Unfortunately, what works fine for you with Netflix is still broken in a bad way with Plex requiring the rollback to 7.6 so you won't own a little black Roku Brick, formerly known as a Roku 3 4200X.

I have requested the roll back - hasn't happened yet - so I have to use the HDMI cable that runs from my Plex Server to the TV in order to drag a Plex Media Player over there... since my Roku 3 is useless in that regard.

I know this is far from optimal, but are you able to set your Roku to 720p to avoid the problem? To be sure, I hated that solution but it least allowed me to use the Roku until my 7.6 rollback came through. Hopefully you'll get your rollback soon. That all said, I fully agree with your last sentence. All is definitely not well in Roku-land.

woosterek

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:00 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
woosterek wrote:
Hey Guys,

I sent a downgrade to 7.6 email yesterday, but I still have 7.7 as of this evening and am unable to roll it back manually either in the system update screen or in the update screen in the secret settings.  I thought you were going to do that remotely yesterday evening?  What's up with that?  Plex is completely unusable, which is a problem since that accounts for more than 2/3 of our viewing.  I've tried to be a good sport, but I'm going on week three of having a useless brick.  Please just fix it or roll my firmware back to 7.6.  Do I need to re-send the model and SN info?

Woosterek, can you please resend the email?  I probably have it already, but I want to be sure I didn't accidentally skip over you.

To anyone else who hasn't seen the update:  I still have a LOT of emails to go through.  I'm trying to get everyone as fast as I can.

Thanks, Shawn.  I was able to roll back to 7.6 this morning.  Everything is working fine for now.  Hope you find a permanent solution soon.

kearbear

Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:55 pm

Roku Premiere 

Issue #1 
Having issues with playback. Audio drops video is still playing. I attempted to pause the movie/show to see if it would work. When I do this, then hit play, the audio is out of sync. On some channels/apps I am able to rewind the program and this will fix the issue but it will happen again in 10-15 mins of the same show/program.

Issue #2 
Not all the time but at least once a day during playback of movie/show my screen will freeze and then go to what appears to be possibly pixelating pink and green screen and it skips about 2-3 mins. of what I'm watching. I'm able to rewind a watch what I missed. 

All of this happened after the upgrade to 7.7 Please assist.

RkForum

Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:40 am

I have a Roku 4210X version 7.7.0.4117

My issue is playing video from usb port of modem/router to Roku Media Player. 

#1:
The video doesn't play at all. It freezes on "Retrieving"

#2:
When the video plays, stops in random place and freezes on "Retrieving"

In both cases, it doesn't matter the format... it can be mp4, mkv (with or without subtitles)
All of this is only with the modem/router and I have no issues playing from Roku's usb port, I know it because I tried the same videos on modem/router and Roku's usb port.
I hope you can resolve this. Thanks.

P.D: the issue began with the update 7.7.0.4117

jontalk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:19 am

DubTaylor wrote:

Haven't tried it with Plex though I'll check it out. Personally I'm a Netflix, HBO Go, Vudu, PBS ,You Tube viewer among other channels which all work nicely. Even BBC America streams smoothly. I realize you probably have a big library with Plex so I feel your pain
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

jmcre8

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:04 pm

Can't get Surround Sound on my Roku Streaming Stick (purple device .. 3500X. Software version 7.70 build 4117-09). Latest check for software was 8/12/2017. Roku is in front of our Yamaha Receiver - Aventage RX-A730
ROKU .. PLEASE fix this issue ASAP. Watching a movie with only front speakers is extremely FRUSTRATING!!

DaDDz

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:56 pm

RkForum wrote:
I have a Roku 4210X version 7.7.0.4117

My issue is playing video from usb port of modem/router to Roku Media Player. 

#1:
The video doesn't play at all. It freezes on "Retrieving"

#2:
When the video plays, stops in random place and freezes on "Retrieving"

In both cases, it doesn't matter the format... it can be mp4, mkv (with or without subtitles)
All of this is only with the modem/router and I have no issues playing from Roku's usb port, I know it because I tried the same videos on modem/router and Roku's usb port.
I hope you can resolve this. Thanks.

P.D: the issue began with the update 7.7.0.4117

See this thread for instructions on how to downgrade to 7.6 firmware.  Problem like yours could be related to 7.7 which is unstable for a lot of units.
Look for post from Roku support under RokuShawnS
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=195
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR

DaDDz

Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:57 pm

kearbear wrote:
Roku Premiere 

Issue #1 
Having issues with playback. Audio drops video is still playing. I attempted to pause the movie/show to see if it would work. When I do this, then hit play, the audio is out of sync. On some channels/apps I am able to rewind the program and this will fix the issue but it will happen again in 10-15 mins of the same show/program.

Issue #2 
Not all the time but at least once a day during playback of movie/show my screen will freeze and then go to what appears to be possibly pixelating pink and green screen and it skips about 2-3 mins. of what I'm watching. I'm able to rewind a watch what I missed. 

All of this happened after the upgrade to 7.7 Please assist.

See this thread for instructions on how to downgrade to 7.6 firmware.  Problem like yours could be related to 7.7 which is unstable for a lot of units.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR

DubTaylor

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm

DaDDz wrote:

Sent email for downgrade...
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...
Roku can design themselves into a corner with one lightning-fast, forced FW 'Upgrade', but the fix happens when they get around to it.
This - is why I will not be buying any more Roku Devices.

DaDDz

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:28 pm

DubTaylor wrote:
DaDDz wrote:

Sent email for downgrade...
waiting...
waiting...
waiting...
Roku can design themselves into a corner with one lightning-fast, forced FW 'Upgrade', but the fix happens when they get around to it.
This - is why I will not be buying any more Roku Devices.

Not sure if the downgrade happens automatically, but I forced it by just selecting software update from the roku settings, like a regular update.  It shows as an update from 7.7 to 7.6.  Was there a day after I sent the email.
Sony Bravia KDL-50W800B
Roku Ultra
Slingbox 500
Win10 Plex Media Server
BellTV 9242 HD PVR

destruk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:46 pm

The true idiocy is Roku was advised this was happening and yet they force pushed the firmware live anyway.  I'm sure less than 2% of their users have roku set up for local streaming or plex - so it's an acceptable risk to them, but in that case they should make the official stance that this use is not supported so we don't waste our time.