Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

UniCav
Topic Author

Streaming FROM Roku to other devices?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:56 pm

I recently purchased a Roku ultra. My goal was to have a small device to replace a Windows computer in my entertainment system that would allow me to watch my digital video collection on a USB drive. Decided to connect it to my newest TV which is 4K. After playing around with the channels a couple days and enjoying it I finally got around to trying the USB drive. Apparently I completely misunderstood this but isn't the Roku supposed to be both a media streaming client AND SERVER? I can't seem to find any way to stream anything from the Roku to a networked device like my phone or another smart TV

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Streaming FROM Roku to other devices?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm

No, the Roku only receives video, not transmits.. Don't know what gave you that idea. No streaming device on the market does that.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koy2eg1ioZ8&list=HL1380998604&feature=mh_lolz

UniCav
Topic Author

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm

There are many whole home media streaming options both hardware and software. Roku being one of the most popular devices today I did preliminary searches and mistook all the talk about being able to stream from USB devices, and with phones and tablets, to mean the device had a DLNA server on it.

atc98092

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:51 am

jeffrok wrote:
No, the Roku only receives video, not transmits.. Don't know what gave you that idea. No streaming device on the market does that.

The Nvidia Shield is capable of being a Plex server, as well as a client. But that's the only one I know of. You have to have the more expensive version, as the base model has insufficient memory for the Plex database, and there's no way to tell it to use external memory.
Dan
Roku Stick (2016), 4 and Ultra, Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, 40+Mbps DSL from CenturyLink

AeroR1

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm

jeffrok wrote:

No, the shield receives and transmits video.  Dont know what gave you that idea.  One streaming device on the market does that.