Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

shorticori
Topic Author

Roku WON'T utilize software update. Keeps restarting.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:26 pm

I have a Roku 2XS Model# 3100x.  The software always has updated automatically, and this time, it is stuck in the update cycle.  It will prompt me to download the newest version of the software, and after I go through the process of that, it restarts and then asks me to do the same thing again (and again, and again).  I've tried to "reset" more than once with the same result.  Please help.  Thank you so much.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku WON'T utilize software update. Keeps restarting.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:11 pm

If you're using a wireless connection, try a wired connection.

shorticori
Topic Author

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Will have to find an ethernet cord to do that.  Any other suggestions until then?

shorticori
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:49 am

So found and ethernet cord and its still doing the same thing.

I really appreciate you giving me that suggestion.  Any other ideas or do you know how to get Roku's attention to respond to this query?  

Thank you so much again. 

Elijah_Baley

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 am

shorticori wrote:
Will have to find an ethernet cord to do that.  Any other suggestions until then?

As your subsequent post indicated having a wired or wireless connection should have no effect on the problem you are seeing.

It is possible that a full factory reset "might" cure the problem but in reality it is highly doubtful. 
The Roku 2XS is a device with a built in flaw where it may work perfectly for a very long time but, as the components age and their characteristics change slightly it often happens that the XS gets into an unstable state. The XS is a flawed device that Roku discontinued support for several years ago.

Many people have XSs that are working perfectly and many others have XSs that are exhibiting some level of instability and still others have XSs that are so unstable as to be unusable. 

I had an XS for years but I had to finally give up and stop using it. Roku "tried" to help but they never even offered to take my XS into their labs to test and continued to deny that XSs were in any way flawed. Roku just effectively ignored the problem. I am quite sure that Roku will not be of any more help with your problem than they were with mine.

I finally solved my Roku XS problem problem. I sold my XS to a person that only wanted it on their account to allow the "Angry Birds" game to be authorized on their account. Once authorized the game could be played on any Roku on that account that was more recent than the XS. 

My suggestion is to replace the flawed XS with a new, still supported, Roku or another streaming device that actually is still stable.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

shorticori
Topic Author

Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am

I really appreciate your quick and honest reply.  It frustrates me because I have loved having my Roku for numerous years now and I find it poor customer service that Roku wouldn't support a faulty model.  

I hesitate to ever buy or support a company that wouldn't offer a solution when this software update was forced upon me to begin with.  Looks like I might be switching to Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, or Apple TV.  

Thank you again for your responses.  I appreciate it! :) 

thetick

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 pm

shorticori wrote:
I really appreciate your quick and honest reply.  It frustrates me because I have loved having my Roku for numerous years now and I find it poor customer service that Roku wouldn't support a faulty model.  

I hesitate to ever buy or support a company that wouldn't offer a solution when this software update was forced upon me to begin with.  Looks like I might be switching to Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast, or Apple TV.  

Thank you again for your responses.  I appreciate it! :) 

They all do forced upgrades.. Google, Amazon and Apple.  You can quickly find similar threads of those users having on occasion the forced upgrade that broke the device.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / Disney XD / PBS / Smithsonian
PC / Chromecast for all other media
Verizon FIOS

shorticori
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:14 pm

Thank you for your reply.  I appreciate it.

Again, I'm frustrated at the lack of support for this problem.  RokuShawn is quick to reply to almost everyone on this forum, except me.  Maybe its because there is no physical solution to this problem, but he didn't even let me know that nor did he, in the very least, offer an apology.  Roku's lack of response has left a bad taste in my mouth for the product/company and thus find myself wanting to give a different company/product a chance... forced upgrades and all.   

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm

My apologies.  I didn't see your post on Friday, and I typically don't work weekends except to delete spam and make an occasional pass at issues that are reported (usually followed up by Monday or Tuesday).

When you did the reset, which option were you using?  The reset button, or the in-menu reset option?  If utilizing the reset button, make sure to hold it down for NO LESS than 30 seconds, no matter what is happening on your TV.  If the in-menu option, I'm assuming that it's the "Factory Reset" option.

If neither of those is working, it's very possible that your flash memory was corrupted during the initial download (bad hop to our server, possibly).  A factory reset should default to the software the unit had on it when it was built and sold, but if the flash memory goes bad for whatever reason, it may not be able to boot to that firmware.  While I don't have a solution for such an issue, I will contact someone in CS tomorrow afternoon and see if there's anything else we can try.  In the meantime, if you can contact CS directly and generate a case number (write it down and PM me the number), I'll have an easier time escalating the issue.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

shorticori
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:14 am

Hi Shawn,

Sorry for the delay in reply, but I've been out of town and didn't want to write back until I could be by the Roku to try the factory reset.  I really appreciate you getting back to me and your help in this matter.  

Unfortunately, the reset did not work.  I have to use the button on the back since I'm never able to even get to a "reset" screen in the menu as I'm just continuously on the software update loop. I am also unable to create a Case number through the website b/c Roku support does not offer any sort of support for my model. :( I sent you a private message though with my serial number etc.  

Any additional help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much,

Cori