Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

j-lard
Topic Author

Roku Stick Plus audio issues

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:17 pm

I have a Roku Streaming Stick Plus. This is plugged directly into my tv. the tv will pass dolby digital. If I have the HDMI setting on auto I will only get stereo on Netflix. there will not be an option to change audio tracks in the app. If I change the HDMI setting to dolby + then I get 5.1. I've contacted Roku support and Netflix and each say the problem is the other. So what I do now is leave the HDMI setting on Dolby + and if I change to a different app like Hulu I will have to change the HDMI setting back to auto. Shame the auto setting doesn't quite work correctly. Any one have this problem?

atc98092

Re: Roku Stick Plus audio issues

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Netflix uses Dolby Digital + for audio. Your Stick (and every other Roku player except for the 2016 Ultra and some TVs) cannot convert the DD+ to standard DD, and your TV also doesn't support DD+. I believe by setting the Stick to Dolby, the Netflix app will only supply standard DD. 
Dan
Roku Stick (2016), 4 and Ultra, Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V679, 60+Mbps CenturyLink DSL

j-lard
Topic Author

Re: Roku Stick Plus audio issues

Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes Netflix transmits in DD+. I'm aware the stick doesn't decode it, neither does my tv. However my tv will pass it through to my receiver. I'll be a little more specific here,
With the HDMI setting at auto I get stereo only from Showtime, and Netflix. When I change the HDMI setting to DD+, I will get 5.1 on Netflix and Showtime. Now I've contacted Showtime and according to their tech person Showtime only streams in stereo. I find that interesting since my receiver will see 5.1 channels and recognizes it as that. You might think well what's the problem? Well the problem is I have to have the HDMI setting on DD+ to get 5.1 and when set that way any channel streaming in stereo only will have no audio. So I must go back to setup and change the HDMI setting to auto. I have my stick connected to my tv and am wondering if anyone else has the same problems. Maybe some are happy with just stereo but I'm not. Maybe I need to update my receiver so I can plug the stick into that but I'm not in any hurry to replace that either. I was just hoping that with the HDMI setting on auto it would truly be auto, detecting the different audio streams and letting me choose, but it doesn't.