Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jdmac29

Re: What happened to my news summary in my Home??

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:01 pm

I hate they made this change. I love the news. They did a great job on holidays and new movies that are coming out.
What a shame 

Tivoburkee

Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:27 pm

The News item that was along the left side was actually AOL NEWS, which is still available as a an app.

nocable

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:13 am

visitor200 wrote:
Basil wrote:
Huh. Never notice that before. I had turned it off so I didn't miss it. But the option is no longer there on the menu. Did the recently introduced "Featured Free" (link) take its place?

No. The Featured Free link does not appear on the left side as an option.  I read the link, but it says they will be "rolling out" the feature over the "coming weeks" . . . which means I don't get it now - and the regular News option is no longer there.
Do you have the Feature Free option?  I am hesitant to see what it entails . . . because the Feature Free includes everything under the sun that is free . . . and I have yet to find a news channel that offers the traditional News Summary categories as before.  I already have all the other major news channels that are free, but the original Roku News Summary was more to my liking because it was not based on one single news channel.

For News Summary by Category, I'd recommend you view the NEWSY Roku Channel.

I do miss the Roku/AOL News summary. I could easily see what was Breaking News, to then go and find more detailed reports on a story from various News sources on Roku. Taking away this AOL News Summary is taking value away from the product. I will sign a petition to get that news summary back. Less is *not* more.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

Malfunction

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:24 am

This is too bad, I liked the way the news feed worked like a playlist and played the stories in chronological order.  I also liked the way you could pick topics such as TV/Movies and Tech.  I'd like to see this return as a channel, but I have a hunch that AOL and Roku aren't getting along.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 am

nocable wrote:
I do miss the Roku/AOL News summary. I could easily see what was Breaking News, to then go and find more detailed reports on a story from various News sources on Roku. Taking away this AOL News Summary is taking value away from the product. I will sign a petition to get that news summary back. Less is *not* more.

The News category was actually AOL On News.

If you go to https://channelstore.roku.com/ and go to the News category, you still see AOL On News listed and showing as installed. At least, I do.

It doesn't show in the News category on the actual Roku, though. This is similar behavior to how M-GO and Fandango Now (which it became) is. Fandango Now shows up as "installed" but isn't actually a stand-alone option.

Whether or not Roku will place AOL On News back into the store, or if AOL has discontinued the app, I don't know.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

xabrinax

Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:25 am

I am also missing the News Section. Very disappointed.
Installed the AOL app and it looks like the same feed/categories. Using that now, but not as convenient and user friendly

Eban

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:30 am

Basil wrote:
nocable wrote:

If you go to https://channelstore.roku.com/ and go to the News category, you still see AOL On News listed and showing as installed. At least, I do.

It doesn't show in the News category on the actual Roku, though. This is similar behavior to how M-GO and Fandango Now (which it became) is. Fandango Now shows up as "installed" but isn't actually a stand-alone option.

Whether or not Roku will place AOL On News back into the store, or if AOL has discontinued the app, I don't know.

Can't find the app from the channel store on my Roku nor on roku's smartphones app :/
- Device: Roku Ultra - Laserdisc enthusiast -

cher

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 am

I have the same issue on all of my Roku devices.

Basil

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 am

It's not actually an issue. It's an intentional change by Roku in the main menu.
Basil

Previous:
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

visitor200
Topic Author

Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:00 am

I FOUND IT!  They deleted the News Summary Categories on the Home screen and placed all of the in them channel titled AOL ON NEWS.  Once I added the channel, all of the summary headlines were there.  (Whew)

Currently own 2017 Roku 4660 Ultra

Previously owned: 2015 Roku 1 Legacy, and Roku 3 (Model 4200x), Model N1000, Software V3.1 build 1011, and Model 2000c, Software V3.1 build 1011

beq

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:10 pm

Basil wrote:

+1 my experience too.

AOL On News treated as a special internal app.

Just curious, does AOL Video show similar content?

P.S. Strangely, I could've sworn the News tab had long been missing on our Roku TV's (note that we never explicitly hid it) -- though I think it was still there on the Roku players till now.

roboku

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm

on the roku 3, it's a channel known as aol.video  It's confusing because I was looking for aol news.  

Basil

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:08 pm

There was an app called "AOL On News" at one time, and is shown as "installed" when I go to https://channelstore.roku.com
Basil

Previous:
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

nocable

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:12 pm

visitor200 wrote:
I FOUND IT!  They deleted the News Summary Categories on the Home screen and placed all of the in them channel titled AOL ON NEWS.  Once I added the channel, all of the summary headlines were there.  (Whew)

This AOL.On News channel cannot be accessed on Roku. It shows in the online listing of channels for now, but you can't delete it, if you wanted to.
To see the AOL news stories that you used to see from the Roku Main Menu, you'll need to add the AOL.Video channel.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV

Tivoburkee

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 am

I have two identical Roku stick+ running the same software 8.1.0 build 4145. One has the Fandango Movie & tv on the left side of the Home page, and item in the menu called Home Screen. The other is missing the Home screen option, and Fandango is now only available as a channel like all other services. I guess they're really cleaning up the menu items along the left side.