Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

phorgive
Topic Author

HDMI ARC handshake issues

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:59 am

I am having trouble even initiating a handshake.  I have a  TCL 55R617 (great tv btw) and a Yamaha RX - V38. Both HDMI Control are on, both ARC's are on.  I am able to connect my Bluray player through my receiver and watch it on my tv via ARC input but I am not able to have any audio via my receiver.  Also, I am not even able to have 5.1 surround from my TCL via optical output.  Am I doing something wrong?

apodtele

Re: HDMI ARC handshake issues

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:26 pm

1. Connect HDMI (ARC) IN on you TV with HDMI (ARC) OUT on your receiver. Do not use optical cable.
2. Go to Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC) and enable "HDMI ARC".
3. Go to Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC and select the audio format that works for you. Even though "Autodetect" is recommended, you might want to explicitly disable Dolby Digital Plus by selecting "Dolby Digital, DTS" (without +).

phorgive
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 am

"1. Connect HDMI (ARC) IN on you TV with HDMI (ARC) OUT on your receiver. Do not use optical cable. Done that
2. Go to Settings > System > Control other devices (CEC) and enable "HDMI ARC". Done that too
3. Go to Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC and select the audio format that works for you. Even though "Autodetect" is recommended, you might want to explicitly disable Dolby Digital Plus by selecting "Dolby Digital, DTS" (without +).
DTS?  I believe TCL 55R617 does not support DTS but does support DD.  Btw, now I can't even watch anything via receiver to TV.  I found a temporary solution.  I connected ARC out from receiver to HDMI1 from TV.  
I will try to do what you say retarding selecting DTS as oppose to auto select without the (+).  

apodtele

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:18 am

On TCL 55R617, only HDMI3 supports ARC. Choose whatever format works for you but do not descend to PCM-Stereo just yet. Your Yamaha receiver will display AV4 when ARC when and if everything works.