Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lindymcc
Topic Author

Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:08 pm

I noticed a cpl of weeks ago that every time I unplug my Roku then plug it back in that I have to switch batteries.. Not like put new ones in every time but switch them back and forth left with the right and then visa versa... If I dont do this each time then the remote doesnt work at all... Now just recently even if I dont unplug my Roku if it sits there for a long time hour min my remote doesnt work and then I have to witch sides on the battery again... Its frustrating and ruining my batteries because of all the switching around I am doing...

sholsten

Re: Roku Remote... Battery Issues :(

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Mine only eats batteries if I listen much on my headphones. Yours sounds like the Bluetooth is losing connection.

thomasina838

Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:04 pm

has anyone ever received a reply to these questions? and a fix?

i also have to switch around batteries every day. i even thought it was that the batteries were old so i bought new ones. and they still dont work for more than a day or two at a time. i cant switch the same batteries around, right to left. i have to have another pair. and then i can switch them back and forth every other day or so. this is only on the remote for my roku streaming stick. i have 2 other roku devices that work just fine and have for years. it is driving me nuts.

i never use headphones and my remote just sits on a table; no rough treatment.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:04 pm

thomasina838 wrote:
has anyone ever received a reply to these questions? and a fix?

i also have to switch around batteries every day. i even thought it was that the batteries were old so i bought new ones. and they still dont work for more than a day or two at a time. i cant switch the same batteries around, right to left. i have to have another pair. and then i can switch them back and forth every other day or so. this is only on the remote for my roku streaming stick. i have 2 other roku devices that work just fine and have for years. it is driving me nuts.

i never use headphones and my remote just sits on a table; no rough treatment.

Something is wrong somewhere. I only have to change batteries in my Roku remotes every nine months to a year. Of course I do not play games and I don't use earphones and when I set the remote down I set it face down or on a secure stand so it does not rock at all. Any movement, even slight rocking, can cause the motion circuits to operate and thereby drain the battery.

I have a friend that tended to hold the remote while watching TV. He went through batteries much faster that I. He now sets it down face down when not in use and his battery life is now like mine.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

BradC

Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:02 pm

I don't know if it's batteries.

I have the same problem with my roku stick (I have 8 roku players, and only the stick has this problem), where the remote doesn't work, and it seems like the batteries are dead. This started happening fairly recently.

putting in fresh batteries doesn't make a difference.

sometimes power cycling the roku stick will fix it, so it's definitely not batteries in my case. Also, messing with the buttons on the remote while the stick is powering up seems to help it get "detected" as well.

thomasina838

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:48 am

well thanks for the suggestions. i only have this problem with my stick. and i do not hold the remote. or use headphones. last night i took out the batteries before going to bed. and this morning those same batteries are working fine. i will know later in the day if they lasted all day. it is driving me crazy.

startreksteve

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:24 am

I got my Roku 3 on Christmas day 2013, still on the original batteries, I'm curious to see if I can make Christmas day 2014 after all the hoohah about battery life, I've tried the headphone function once or twice, not something I use really.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

thomasina838

Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:53 pm

this is an update to my previous post about the remote for the roku stick behaving strangely. i read one rant in which the user said he had to put the batteries into the remote in a certain sequence as well as a good orientation for good results. and that was the craziest thing he ever heard. but i tried it: always negative end first. inside the battery case i put the first battery in the section where there is a sticker that says roku in bold letters. then the other battery. and it has been working for a week. that is longer than this remote every worked before. and it is the same batteries i was using the month before that i had to switch out every other day. sometimes twice a day. i did try re-pairing a few times the previous month. but it always failed within a day or so. no more. does anyone know if this is a real thing? published by roku somewhere? and i did try putting the batteries in the remote in reverse order and it went back to failing every day or so.

startreksteve

Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:36 am

My Roku 3 remote has now just passed 13 months on the original batteries. I never use the headphones, but a useful tip is when I arent using the remote, I always lay it buttons down, so it cant rock when someone walks by and wakes it up.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

NikiB

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:33 pm

We just upgraded from the Roku stick to the Roku box. This Roku gives us the capability to watch with headphones. The batteries in the remote keep dying, huge problem. When we listen with headphones and then remove the headphones, the Roku will not give sound through our stereo unless we reset it. These are both huge problems. I have tried everything troubleshooting suggested, using the turn off headphones on remote and powering off the roku box. The roku will not power off and the button on the remote does not deactivate the headphones. I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

atc98092

Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:57 am

NikiB wrote:
We just upgraded from the Roku stick to the Roku box. This Roku gives us the capability to watch with headphones. The batteries in the remote keep dying, huge problem. When we listen with headphones and then remove the headphones, the Roku will not give sound through our stereo unless we reset it. These are both huge problems. I have tried everything troubleshooting suggested, using the turn off headphones on remote and powering off the roku box. The roku will not power off and the button on the remote does not deactivate the headphones. I'm at a loss. Any help would be appreciated.

As far as the battery life, make sure you unplug the headphones when you aren't using them. As long as they are plugged in, the audio amplifier in the remote is powered up and it will drain your batteries quickly. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

ratt57

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:37 pm

The Roku remote is the only electronic appliance I own that will drain its batteries if the headset remains plugged in.  If I fall asleep watching t.v. three nights in a row I need a whole new set of batteries.  I wish they'd fix this issue.

atc98092

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:18 am

ratt57 wrote:
The Roku remote is the only electronic appliance I own that will drain its batteries if the headset remains plugged in.  If I fall asleep watching t.v. three nights in a row I need a whole new set of batteries.  I wish they'd fix this issue.

What's to fix? If the headphone jack has something plugged in, that turns on the internal audio amplifier, and that takes power. The audio amp remained powered as long as something is plugged in, and the Wi-Fi direct radio also has to remain in active mode. That all takes power. It doesn't matter if something is actually streaming. Any other battery powered device that is left on constantly will drain the batteries in short time, so this is nothing special with Roku. 
What I would like to see is rechargeable batteries and a docking station for the remote when not in use that charges them. But that would drive the price up, so I wouldn't expect it with all players, but an optional extra. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (2016), and Ultra (2016), Insignia Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network. Samsung JU7100 4K TV, Yamaha RX-V583, CenturyLink DSL

jlsoaz

Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:23 am

I'm having AA battery issues out of nowhere.  I don't remember having had them previously.  I have two newer-seeming remotes that use AAs and one older-one that uses AAAs.  The older one seems to function ok (though it has to be kind of close.  The two newer ones function a time or two and then punk out.  Maybe it has to do with the remote "tying" to the Roku unit and not with the batteries?