Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

PhillipsFam5
Topic Author

Cannot update Roku 2 to OS 9

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:04 pm

According to the release notes it should be able to be updated to OS 9 so I can use Spotify however when trying to manually update it last night (shows that its on OS 8.1) it keeps telling me that its updated. The actual model number is 4210x which is one of the models listed in the release notes for OS 9. Am I missing something? Did I misread something?

DBDukes

Re: Cannot update Roku 2 to OS 9

Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:11 pm

PhillipsFam5 wrote:
According to the release notes it should be able to be updated to OS 9 so I can use Spotify however when trying to manually update it last night (shows that its on OS 8.1) it keeps telling me that its updated. The actual model number is 4210x which is one of the models listed in the release notes for OS 9. Am I missing something? Did I misread something?

No. Roku is rolling out updates in waves. Not everybody gets it at the same time. It’s coming. Just not yet for you. Or me. Yet. But soon.

Before you ask “When” re-read what I just wrote.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

PhillipsFam5
Topic Author

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Ok, thanks. I didn't see that anywhere. I'll stay tuned.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

PhillipsFam5 wrote:
Ok, thanks. I didn't see that anywhere. I'll stay tuned.

I don’t think it’s explicitly said that way in the release, but that’s how Roku does it. Some people posting here are reporting 9.0 as their version. But I’m still at 8.1 just like many (most?) people.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku 2 (4210), Roku Stick (3600)
Apple TV (4th gen), Fire TV, TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku generation 1, 2, 3, & 4 boxes.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd gen)

Tajson

Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:05 pm

PhillipsFam5 wrote:

The blog post https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-9 said at the end:

"Roku OS 9 will begin rolling out to Roku streaming players in early November and Roku TVs early next year. It is expected to be completed in Q1 2019. "

So you are looking somewhere between early November and end of March. Most likely, you will have it by end of January as the wave size will become larger and larger.