Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

brtilak
Topic Author

AV Receiver recommendation

Sat May 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi. Brand new Roku owner here with an old, outdated AVR. I've been thinking of replacing it and now seems to be a good time.

I am looking for a recommendation for a new AVR, or at least for the features I should look for.

• Which DTS and Dolby versions are important?
  • Are HDMI ARC and HDR required?
  • HDCP version?
  • Anything else I should look for?

I don't think 7.2 vs 5.1 is important. I have 5 speakers plus a powered subwoofer.
I have a DVD/Blu-ray player to integrate into the same set-up.
I would like to minimize the number of remotes involved for day-to-day use. (I don't mind using a separate remote for the DVD/Blu-ray.) I foresee a problem being able to control both TV power and AVR volume with the same remote. Is this an issue or does the latest HDMI allow both power (for TV) and volume (for AVR) to be controlled by the same Roku remote?

I'd like to keep it under, say, $600. I don't want one of those multi-thousand dollar behemoths!

Thanks.

atc98092

Re: AV Receiver recommendation

Sat May 11, 2019 6:54 pm

[*]Which DTS and Dolby versions are important?
[*]Are HDMI ARC and HDR required?
[*]HDCP version?
Anything else I should look for?

• For a Roku, standard DTS is all you need, and for Dolby Digital you need DD+. However, if you desire to connect a Blu Ray player, then you want Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio support. In reality, it would be hard to find an AVR that doesn't support that. If you desire the height channels, then you need Dolby Atmos and DTS:X support. Even those are available in all but the least expensive models. 
  • ARC is not a requirement, but it does let you remove one cable between your TV and your AVR. As far as any Roku goes, ARC has nothing to do with it. 
  • HDR support is necessary if you have a 4K Roku and a 4K TV. 
  • For 4K support, you need HDMI 2.0 or greater, and HDCP 2.2 (don't think there's a higher version yet)
  • CEC control is a nice feature, and most likely will be in any AVR you look at.
I have a Yamaha RX-V583, which if I recall correctly was well under $400. It includes all things I mentioned above, including Atmos and DTS:X. I have had great luck with Yamaha, but other major brands are fine as well. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mike.s

Sat May 11, 2019 7:46 pm

IMHO, stay away from Onkyo. Prefer Denon/Marantz. Pioneer/Yamaha are in between.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue May 14, 2019 2:49 pm

Would be good to know what type of Roku you have. Is it a Roku TV or Roku STB? Which model?
If Roku TV, you will need ARC support on the AVR.

CParker

Wed May 15, 2019 11:42 am

I have Yamaha RX-V667 and a Samsung 50" 4K TV.
I have the TV connected to the Yamaha AVR with HDMI-ARC
In setting up the TV I told it to "use external speakers". Using the TV's remote for volume controls the volume on the Yamaha receiver.
CEC (AnyNet) is enabled on the Samsung TV and the Yamaha is set to use HDMI-ARC.

Roku Ultra connected HDMI to TV. 
Enhanced voice remote for that Ultra.
Control other Devices... it then can turn the Samsung TV on and off and adjust volume. And while it THINKS it's adjusting volume on the Samsung TV, the TV is just passing along those volume requests to the Yamaha receiver so what we SEE is that the receiver volume is changing via the Roku remote.

I then set up the "one touch" I think it's called on the Ultra remote. Now pressing Home button on the Roku remote turns on the TV and sets the input to the HDMI input for the Ultra.

Right now the only time I need to grab a different remote is to use the AppleTV or the DVD player (both of which we rarely do)
I dumped cable and use a Tablo OTA DVR (4-tuner... the new Quad) so even watching live TV is done through the Roku. So I'm pretty much down to one remote for day-to-day TV watching.

Look at your ARC settings on both the TV and receivers you're looking at. The Yamaha will switch inputs if necessary to an active ARC-enabled device. This all sounds complicated, but literally took me more time to describe it here than to do it.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed May 15, 2019 12:04 pm

There are very few TVs that will take volume control commands from a STB and properly handle them. Roku TVs do, later Sony's do,  later Sharp's, and Toshiba's. There is only one TV that we know of that will relay a CEC volume message on to the AVR and that is the RokuTV.
Your Roku STB sensing that System Audio Control is enabled between the Samsung and the Yamaha is actually sending the volume control messages directly to the Yamaha since it knows the Yamaha is actually destination for the audio.

CParker

Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm

RokuDale wrote:
There are very few TVs that will take volume control commands from a STB and properly handle them. Roku TVs do, later Sony's do,  later Sharp's, and Toshiba's. There is only one TV that we know of that will relay a CEC volume message on to the AVR and that is the RokuTV.
Your Roku STB sensing that System Audio Control is enabled between the Samsung and the Yamaha is actually sending the volume control messages directly to the Yamaha since it knows the Yamaha is actually destination for the audio.

I just got a geeky nerdy shivver.... *big grin*
Because that's even cooler.... now... please go kick the squirrel that's turning the cage that's cranking out the 9.1 updates... thanks. :D
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

brtilak
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 1:24 pm

Thanks for all the replies!

What I bought:

• Sony AVR. I got a great deal at a local brick and mortar because it was a year old model and was the last one they had in a factory sealed box.
  • Roku Ultra.

Looks like I am limited by my older TV which doesn't know about ARC. I will eventually be upgrading to a newer 4K TV and will live with the limitations until then. That means multiple remotes: TV, Roku, Blu-ray, AVR. At least the Roku can control the AVR's volume. I can also setup the AVR to not power down meaning I won't need its remote -- still thinking on this one.