Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CParker

Re: Roku won’t connect to iPhone XR hotspot

Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 am

unlimited data is a wonderful thing. And when it's available here, 5G unlimited will be sweet

Although, I gotta say I'd probably never hotspot my phone to stream Roku, I have used it in my truck so I can use my wifi only ipad and connect the truck's network to it on trips so we can bring up weather radar and such.
Chief Technology Officer, Barge Captain/mechanic/deckhand/dock hand, Cook, Lawn care and vehicle maintenance.
Yep.... I'm retired. :D

Lizarino

Wed May 22, 2019 8:04 am

I’ve never gone over my data. I have used my hotspot to stream Roku for up to five hours a day and have gotten to 90% of 3g.

It’s important to have hotspot as an option. I know lots of people that use theirs to stream

Pritchett

Wed May 22, 2019 8:06 pm

I have an iPhone 6s and it won’t connect either. Updated to 12.3 version right now then will try again. My phone name is “iPhone” and there is no special characters in my password...

Lizarino

Thu May 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Roku Support Staff when will this be fixed? What efforts are you doing to fix this? Is there an update coming out soon that will fix this issue?

Kwbrok

Thu May 23, 2019 9:47 pm

I have an iPhone X and have been dealing with this same issue for a couple months. I have a solution that finally worked for me. When setting up my hotspot password for some reason it defaulted to having a space at the beginning of the password. The space didn’t matter when connecting any of my other devices, but it did for the Roku. I backspaced immediately after clicking on the hotspot password setup box and it took the space out

jonmayhew

Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 am

Found a possible fix?
After reading all the post above and making my phone name simple and password with just letters and numbers I still got a message that I was unable to connect One of the options said to try restarting” I did that and when I logged back in I went to settings / about and it said that I was logged in signal strength excellent it now works!

ccsccs

Wed May 29, 2019 2:58 pm

I have simple password. After many restarts sometimes works. Usually it does not.

It was great until the update, now I can't really use it. I set it up in the car for long roadtrips (the back seats have build in screen).
Since this issue is open for 4 months, I'm looking into using Fire TV Stick instead of Roku. 

fredn

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:30 pm

FWIW to anyone else (and I can't believe Roku hasn't resolved this issue in several months!):  Through trial, error, and luck I found a fix.  I'm using a Roku HDMI Stick and an iPhone 6s.  Hotspot's name is very short and neither it nor its password use special characters or spaces.  Tried rebooting both more times than I want to admit.  Roku could see the hotspot but threw error 14.40 when trying to connect.  The trick was to keep the iPhone displaying the hotspot config screen (the one that shows your hotspot password) through the ENTIRE connection process.  I only thought of this test because my daughter's unbelievably antique iPad requires the same thing.  Everything works, and I love my Roku, but shame on them for not paying more attention to this basic issue.

atc98092

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:25 am

fredn wrote:
FWIW to anyone else (and I can't believe Roku hasn't resolved this issue in several months!):  Through trial, error, and luck I found a fix.  I'm using a Roku HDMI Stick and an iPhone 6s.  Hotspot's name is very short and neither it nor its password use special characters or spaces.  Tried rebooting both more times than I want to admit.  Roku could see the hotspot but threw error 14.40 when trying to connect.  The trick was to keep the iPhone displaying the hotspot config screen (the one that shows your hotspot password) through the ENTIRE connection process.  I only thought of this test because my daughter's unbelievably antique iPad requires the same thing.  Everything works, and I love my Roku, but shame on them for not paying more attention to this basic issue.

Your solution was with a 6S. I never had any issue using my 6S when connecting my Ultra or a Roku TV to the hotspot. These people are specifically having an issue with the latest version of the iPhone, which seems to do something different from earlier phones. It's great you found a solution that works for you, but I have my doubts it will help the others. But I'd be happy to learn otherwise  :D
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

indybishop

Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:47 pm

Add me to list.  I purchased my Parent's a Roku today to use where they only have a hot spot option for internet.  Roku hooks to my Samsung hot spot just fine but won't to their Verizon Ipad hot spot.   Should I just return it for a sling-stick or whatever? Are other Roku like devices having the same issues with Iphones and Ipads?  

RokuTannerD

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're running into. We're still investigating some reports of issues connecting to iOS mobile hotspots. 

Please feel free to send me a private message with the Roku device's serial number from Settings>System>About, the Roku account email that the device is linked to, along with details about the iPad that you're encountering the issue on. Please include the model of iPad and the version of iOS that it is currently running. I'll follow up with you directly to continue assisting you. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager

vcatt

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:38 pm

I was also not able to connect my hotspot. To get it to connect I changed my phone name to something simple with no symbols. Chose to set up a Private Network and entered my phone’s name as the SSID. It then prompted me for the password and I was able to connect and set up the Roku channels, etc.