Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

eisenstadt0
Topic Author

CC subtitles with an old Roku XR converter

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:24 am

Hi all!

A friend gave me an old Roku XR converter which works well with my analog TV. The question I have is how to enable CC subtitles with this converter using its original remote. I have had Netflix enable CC subtitles for my subscription and the subtitles appear when the movie is viewed on our computer monitor. But there are no subtitles when viewing the movie on the TV via the Roku converter. The instructions on this site for enabling CC say to use the * button on the remote to access Options but there is no * button on the remote for this older Roku converter. Nor in Settings from the XR box is there any way to enable CC. Do I need to get a more recent Roku converter to enable CC subtitles? Or is it possible to enable CC with my present setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike in Austin

RokuDanny-R

Re: CC subtitles with an old Roku XR converter

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:59 am

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

You can try setting up your CC subtitles by going to Home>Settings>Accessibility (or Captions) then selecting when you want captions to appear.

If more details regarding closed captions, feel free to visit out support page: https://support.roku.com/article/208756848-how-do-i-enable-closed-captioning-

Thanks,
Danny
Roku Forum Moderator

eisenstadt0
Topic Author

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:46 pm

Your response doesn't seem to apply to the Roku XR converter. Its Home > Settings page does not include Accessibility.

Does anyone know a hack to enable CC on a Roku XR box?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike in Austin

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:54 pm

eisenstadt0 wrote:
Hi all!

A friend gave me an old Roku XR converter which works well with my analog TV. The question I have is how to enable CC subtitles with this converter using its original remote. I have had Netflix enable CC subtitles for my subscription and the subtitles appear when the movie is viewed on our computer monitor. But there are no subtitles when viewing the movie on the TV via the Roku converter. The instructions on this site for enabling CC say to use the * button on the remote to access Options but there is no * button on the remote for this older Roku converter. Nor in Settings from the XR box is there any way to enable CC. Do I need to get a more recent Roku converter to enable CC subtitles? Or is it possible to enable CC with my present setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike in Austin

Not sure if this will work, but you could maybe download the Roku app for Android or iPhone, giving you access to an asterisk button. Or, you could buy a standard modern Roku remote for around $10. Or, you could buy a new Roku Express+ which will be much faster AND include the more modern Roku remote, and work with your analog tv, for $50 or less. Your streaming and navigation experience will be much improved with a device that's 10 years newer than the one you're currently using.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:03 pm

eisenstadt0 wrote:
Your response doesn't seem to apply to the Roku XR converter. Its Home > Settings page does not include Accessibility.

Does anyone know a hack to enable CC on a Roku XR box?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Mike in Austin

Bad news, the Netflix app on that old of a Roku never had the Subtitle abilities. It was introduced on the Roku 2 HD/XD/XS series, but the feature was never implemented on the Roku 1 generation. Suggest you get a Roku Express+ model.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert