Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TJ265

Re: "My Feed" = Not Working

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 am

To atc98092,

Regarding firmware, upgrades, testing, or anything for that matter, they should at least, as a courtesy to their customers, post a notice or publish an article about the "known" issue.

lyprulz

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:46 am

Hey everyone, I got the following feedback from @RokuSupport on Twitter and wanted to share it here with everyone: 

We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates.
Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed.

You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free.

As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!

Personally, as far as I'm concerned (and I told them as much) this is a loss of functionality for me. It was useful to be able to keep track of all of the things I had followed in one place. Not being able to see things until there is some change in their availability, to me, makes it as though I'm not following them at all. I understand wanting to cut down on some of the clutter for some users, but not being able to go to a central location to see everything that I'm following kind of defeats the purpose of the feature for me.

Lost In Delaware

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 am

This sucks.

I have some actors in it that are no longer alive, like John Candy, who will never have new material.

I used to use it to save me time of having to do a search each time...I could simply click on filmography to see what was available by him.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

lyprulz wrote:
Personally, as far as I'm concerned (and I told them as much) this is a loss of functionality for me. It was useful to be able to keep track of all of the things I had followed in one place. Not being able to see things until there is some change in their availability, to me, makes it as though I'm not following them at all. I understand wanting to cut down on some of the clutter for some users, but not being able to go to a central location to see everything that I'm following kind of defeats the purpose of the feature for me.

To play devil's advocate, if someone is following a BUNCH of stuff (and awaiting updates), having a list of updates is superior in terms of usability than just having a list of what you've marked. It's the same way an RSS feed works - it's there for updates, not as a list of sites.
All that said, it would be nice for a lot of users to have a list of shows or actors they want to keep track of, but I've never gotten the impression that "My Feed" is supposed to be that.

lyprulz

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:58 am

mikebdoss wrote:
To play devil's advocate, if someone is following a BUNCH of stuff (and awaiting updates), having a list of updates is superior in terms of usability than just having a list of what you've marked. It's the same way an RSS feed works - it's there for updates, not as a list of sites.
All that said, it would be nice for a lot of users to have a list of shows or actors they want to keep track of, but I've never gotten the impression that "My Feed" is supposed to be that.

The previous functionality kept the full list, but moved the most recent updates to the top of the list, which I thought was pretty perfect as-is.
Either way, I don't think the new functionality is bad, I'd just like to be able to see everything I've followed in one central location, even if that location isn't on the main Feed itself.

Pompey

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Something is wrong with this picture.  The twitter update from support doesn't explain all the anomalies I've seen.  There has to have been at least a dozen movies I was following that ARE available on various Roku channels and still disappeared.  Also, when this issue started, the handful of movies that remained in my list all displayed the radio button to "follow" them, even though they were already followed and clearly displayed in my list. Also, the TV shows that remained in my list lost the radio button to "unfollow."  As an experiment, I went through the search function and "unfollowed" the shows that way.  Then I tried to re-"follow" them, and now they never show up in my list; even though I know they have brand new episodes available on Roku.
Me thinks perhaps this is akin to Microsoft-speak .....  wherein a bug is magically touted as an enhancement.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

TJ265

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 pm

lyprulz wrote:
The previous functionality kept the full list, but moved the most recent updates to the top of the list, which I thought was pretty perfect as-is.
Either way, I don't think the new functionality is bad, I'd just like to be able to see everything I've followed in one central location, even if that location isn't on the main Feed itself.

I agree with you, lyprulz.  I prefer the way it was over how it is now.  And like pompey wrote, there are other issues.  One of the three shows viewable in my list I wish to "Unfollow" and can't because the button isn't available.  And as far as "clutter," shouldn't the end user determine what they want to view?

lyprulz

Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:12 pm

I'd encourage everyone to also send a DM to @RokuSupport so they can add your comments to their feedback tracker. Again, if nothing else, I'd like for us to have access to a centralized place to keep track of everything we've followed.

atc98092

Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:42 am

TJ265 wrote:
To atc98092,

Regarding firmware, upgrades, testing, or anything for that matter, they should at least, as a courtesy to their customers, post a notice or publish an article about the "known" issue.

I don't disagree with you.  :D
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

rjdriver

Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:23 am

lyprulz wrote:

Agreed.  Maybe I am in the minority here, but 75% of what I would use My Feed for is to keep track of older shows that have run their course and no longer have new episodes (updates)- ones that I am re-watching from years ago,  or never had time to watch when they were new.  With the unwelcome (to me) new trend of very short runs of as few as 6-7 episodes now being called a "season", and the long gap before the next one, I am leaning more and more towards not watching "anything* when it's new, and instead waiting until the show goes out of production so I can binge the entire thing at my leisure.   So the new My Feed will no longer allow me to track those all in one place.   Its definitely a step backwards.
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA

lyprulz

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:04 pm

The same day I sent a DM on Twitter, I also sent an e-mail. Here is the text of the response I just received: 

I appreciate your time in contacting Roku Customer Support. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I understand that you are facing issues with the 'My feed' in Roku. This is due to the planned maintenance in 'My feed' to improve the services, we are working on it and it will be automatically restored soon. Thank you for your patience and co-operation.

If you have any issues further, please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,
Betsy,
Roku Support Group

SO, we're getting some mixed messages from Roku here. On Twitter I was told that I basically misunderstood the functionality and they are fine-tuning the feature to bring it closer in-line with how it should be used. Via e-mail, I was told that they are just having some technical issues, and the original functionality will be automatically restored soon.

It would be nice if we could get someone from Roku in on this thread to give us a final word on which of these conflicting responses is the correct response (preferably the answer that I want to hear).

Pompey

Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 pm

There is an elegant, evocative word that sums this up beautifully .........  disingenuous.  Thank God for honest competition; thank God for alternatives; and thank God that Roku isn't the only game in town anymore.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

Lost In Delaware

Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Pompey wrote:
There is an elegant, evocative word that sums this up beautifully .........  disingenuous.  Thank God for honest competition; thank God for alternatives; and thank God that Roku isn't the only game in town anymore.

I've been growing more and more dissatisfied with Roku. I have an AppleTV (which I hate) and a FireTV, all hooked up to the same tv as the Roku 3.
Honestly, at this point, I only use Roku for 2 apps really.....though both are EXTREMELY important to me..

One is Vudu...where I own a couple hundred movies and a bunch of season passes for current TV shows. The other is VHX, which is an app that streams a bunch of MST3K shows that I got from their Kickstarter.

I have a lot invested in both of those (and Vudu is one of the most well done apps on any platform), so as long as they are exclusively on Roku, I will always have a need for one.

Rcosta

Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:33 am

We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates.
Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed.

You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free.

As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!

I do not know how the decision was made to make the change to the My Feed. Did a product manager make the decision? Was the decision made by feedback by users? Was the decision made by the software developers or was it a business decision?

As I do this type of work professionally in the Silicon Valley, I can tell you that a large change in functionality does not happen in a vacuum. Many people have to sign-off on it. The only way to get a change is to let Roku engineering and support know of your displeasure and "MAYBE" the decision makers (Product managers etc. ) will reexamine the functionality if there is a large displeasure with the feature. 
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

lyprulz

Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 am

Rcosta wrote:

As I do this type of work professionally in the Silicon Valley, I can tell you that a large change in functionality does not happen in a vacuum. Many people have to sign-off on it. The only way to get a change is to let Roku engineering and support know of your displeasure and "MAYBE" the decision makers (Product managers etc. ) will reexamine the functionality if there is a large displeasure with the feature. 

Working in tech as well, I also know how hard it is for these changes to happen and how unlikely it is that the feature will ever change back (or that an alternative feature will be provided). That's why 1) I hope the e-mail was the correct response and this is just a bug needing to be fixed, or 2) that everyone also joins me in e-mailing and tweeting to Roku to express their displeasure at the new functionality.