Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Rcosta

Re: "My Feed" = Not Working

Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:31 pm

lyprulz wrote:
Rcosta wrote:

As I do this type of work professionally in the Silicon Valley, I can tell you that a large change in functionality does not happen in a vacuum. Many people have to sign-off on it. The only way to get a change is to let Roku engineering and support know of your displeasure and "MAYBE" the decision makers (Product managers etc. ) will reexamine the functionality if there is a large displeasure with the feature. 

Working in tech as well, I also know how hard it is for these changes to happen and how unlikely it is that the feature will ever change back (or that an alternative feature will be provided). That's why 1) I hope the e-mail was the correct response and this is just a bug needing to be fixed, or 2) that everyone also joins me in e-mailing and tweeting to Roku to express their displeasure at the new functionality.

@lyprulz, As I am one of the "decision makers", in reference to my work as the Program Manager/ Product Manager at the company I work for, if a change in functionality was met with a large outcry from my customers, then based on the business decision on how difficult it is to roll-back the previous software build, I may choose to do it, but it is always costly to the business due to the work needed by the software developers and to schedule it into a new sprint cycle, prioritization of the rollback and resource allocation versus a balance of what other bug fixes/feature releases are on the next sprint cycle and what you de-prioritize from your next release,the QA personnel for regression testing etc. It is possible that a feature can be redefined, but as you can see, this is what I do for a living, so I do understand the implications of a software/feature change.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

TJ265

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Rcosta wrote:
lyprulz wrote:
@lyprulz, As I am one of the "decision makers", in reference to my work as the Program Manager/ Product Manager at the company I work for, if a change in functionality was met with a large outcry from my customers, then based on the business decision on how difficult it is to roll-back the previous software build, I may choose to do it, but it is always costly to the business due to the work needed by the software developers and to schedule it into a new sprint cycle, prioritization of the rollback and resource allocation versus a balance of what other bug fixes/feature releases are on the next sprint cycle and what you de-prioritize from your next release,the QA personnel for regression testing etc. It is possible that a feature can be redefined, but as you can see, this is what I do for a living, so I do understand the implications of a software/feature change.

I've got a couple questions for everyone. 
1st)  Has anyone received any notices in "My Feed" since this began? 
It seems like it's been almost two weeks since I first noticed an issue with "My Feed."  But this evening, I just realized I haven't received a single message regarding any updates during this period.    With the sales promo at Fandango, new videos @ Amazon, and all the shows from Drama Fever and Viki finally showing up in searches, I should be receiving at least one notice a day informing me of a lower price, new episodes, or something regarding an actor I'm following.  I was accustomed to getting a few per week.  Therefore, I believe they ran into some issues with the change(s) they were implementing and that application simply isn't working anymore. 
2nd)  If there was an "upgrade" push, wouldn't that be reflected in System Update?  I use a Roku 3.  It's showing Software Version 7.5.0, Build 4099, Last Updated on Dec. 1.   ???

Rcosta

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:32 pm

TJ265 wrote:
Rcosta wrote:
lyprulz wrote:

1st)  Has anyone received any notices in "My Feed" since this began? 
It seems like it's been almost two weeks since I first noticed an issue with "My Feed."  But this evening, I just realized I haven't received a single message regarding any updates during this period.    With the sales promo at Fandango, new videos @ Amazon, and all the shows from Drama Fever and Viki finally showing up in searches, I should be receiving at least one notice a day informing me of a lower price, new episodes, or something regarding an actor I'm following.  I was accustomed to getting a few per week.  Therefore, I believe they ran into some issues with the change(s) they were implementing and that application simply isn't working anymore. 
2nd)  If there was an "upgrade" push, wouldn't that be reflected in System Update?  I use a Roku 3.  It's showing Software Version 7.5.0, Build 4099, Last Updated on Dec. 1.   ???

TJ265. Have you manually checked for system updates?
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB

TJ265

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 pm

Rcosta wrote:
TJ265. Have you manually checked for system updates?

Yes.  Often.  Especially after I encounter something amiss, like no feed notices, slow loading channels, no subtitles, voice-video tracking out of synch, etc.

Is your update date different?

Pompey

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:31 am

TJ265 wrote:
1st)  Has anyone received any notices in "My Feed" since this began?

From what I see, My Feed is really fouled up.  Shows and movies that are newly available are not showing up at all.  Those few that do show up are displaying perhaps only one channel choice, when I know there should be multiple choices.  The TV shows in the list do not display an "unfollow" radio button any longer.  I think someone left the fish out just a little too long........
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

AChanceFind

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:17 pm

Just wanted to add my voice to this and say that I also have noticed that "My Feed" is more or less completely useless now.  Shows/Movies that I know are available and following are not showing up and I am not being notified when new shows are available.  

For example, I had been following the 80s show "Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack" for a long time and had it not been for the advertisement box showing it as available on "FilmRise" I would have never known I could go watch it for free.

Some items also seem to be orphaned in that they can't be un-followed or even if un-followed then re-followed they don't show up again.

It's disappointing to see the inconsistent responses from Roku on this , but not at all surprising as this type of confusion/misinformation and obfuscation is the new modus operandi  for almost all tech support engagements with most companies these days. Glad I found the story here and didn't waste any time even contacting Roku about it.

Hopefully they will fix it soon but if not seems to me another nail in the coffin for Roku.

TJ265

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:45 pm

AChanceFind wrote:
Just wanted to add my voice to this and say that I also have noticed that "My Feed" is more or less completely useless now.  Shows/Movies that I know are available and following are not showing up and I am not being notified when new shows are available.  

For example, I had been following the 80s show "Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack" for a long time and had it not been for the advertisement box showing it as available on "FilmRise" I would have never known I could go watch it for free.

Some items also seem to be orphaned in that they can't be un-followed or even if un-followed then re-followed they don't show up again.

It's disappointing to see the inconsistent responses from Roku on this , but not at all surprising as this type of confusion/misinformation and obfuscation is the new modus operandi  for almost all tech support engagements with most companies these days. Glad I found the story here and didn't waste any time even contacting Roku about it.

Hopefully they will fix it soon but if not seems to me another nail in the coffin for Roku.

Yesterday, I posted this question @RokuSupport on Twitter, "Has "My Feed" been disabled in Roku 3?"

Today, I received this response:  "We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates. Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed. You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free. As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!"

Me:  "I haven't received an update in in weeks. However, I've conducted a search for a television series that an actor I'm following is starring in and saw the show's been added to a channel. I'm reporting to you that My Feed isn't working anymore. Also, as a customer who particularly liked My Feed the way it was, how is it determined that anything in the list I was maintaining is clutter?"

@RokuSupport:  We rolled out an update to My Feed a few weeks ago. The intended nature now is to only show where there is an update. We value your feedback and will send your note over to our dev team.
There are a few people who don't like the new behavior of My Feed, so you're not the only one.

Me:  "Last question: You stated you rolled out an update a few weeks ago. Wouldn't that be indicated in "System Update?" Mine states the last update was Dec. 1, 8:57 a.m. I click "Check Now" often and it always states my software is up-to-date. Is it possible that I've experienced a problem and wasn't properly updated?"

@RokuSupport:  "It wasn't a full OS update, it was just a feature update to My Feed.
We'll put out some official messaging soon.
But what you're describing is the change that was made."

Pompey

Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:38 am

I'm wondering when we might get some information about when the My Feed feature will be working once again?  ...... or will we have to execute a FISA warrant? 
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Pompey wrote:
I'm wondering when we might get some information about when the My Feed feature will be working once again?  ...... or will we have to execute a FISA warrant? 

Roku almost NEVER reveals when a fix is coming (or often, if a fix is coming). 

lyprulz

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:27 pm

TJ265 wrote:
Yesterday, I posted this question @RokuSupport on Twitter, "Has "My Feed" been disabled in Roku 3?"

Today, I received this response:  "We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates. Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed. You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free. As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!"

Me:  "I haven't received an update in in weeks. However, I've conducted a search for a television series that an actor I'm following is starring in and saw the show's been added to a channel. I'm reporting to you that My Feed isn't working anymore. Also, as a customer who particularly liked My Feed the way it was, how is it determined that anything in the list I was maintaining is clutter?"

@RokuSupport:  We rolled out an update to My Feed a few weeks ago. The intended nature now is to only show where there is an update. We value your feedback and will send your note over to our dev team.
There are a few people who don't like the new behavior of My Feed, so you're not the only one.

Me:  "Last question: You stated you rolled out an update a few weeks ago. Wouldn't that be indicated in "System Update?" Mine states the last update was Dec. 1, 8:57 a.m. I click "Check Now" often and it always states my software is up-to-date. Is it possible that I've experienced a problem and wasn't properly updated?"

@RokuSupport:  "It wasn't a full OS update, it was just a feature update to My Feed.
We'll put out some official messaging soon.
But what you're describing is the change that was made."

As frustrating as these responses may feel, this is exactly what everyone who dislikes the direction My Feed has gone in needs to do! The more direct feedback they get from us, the more likely this feature will become usable again!

Wallaby07

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:51 pm

This needs to get fixed, back to the way it was. there is no current way to see what is on your list you have to remember them all if you want to delete any of them you have to look them up again to do so. this sucks and is vary bad management of something called "MY FEEDS" and I have so little control over it. if I want to see a hundred shows that should be MY choice.

jeffmim

Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 am

I'll jump on board with this. I used My Feeds to follow my favorite shows, a number of which had previous seasons on Netflix or other services I subscribe to. I could use the My Feed to easily get to the previous seasons on Netflix as it showed up that way (current season as 2016- and previous seasons as range of years, i.e. 2012-2016). Now, the only seasons that show up are the current seasons on channels other than Netflix (Vudu, Amazon, etc.) and NO previous seasons are showing up at all. Its has created an incredible amount of extra work on my part to track down the previous seasons I like to watch from the various channels they are on. It almost seems like something happened to push Vudu, Amazon and a few other channels that carry current seasons at the expense of Netflix and other channels that only carry previous seasons. And as I reported before, original programming that shows up on Sling TV networks (like FX's Taboo) is not being picked up at all by the My Feed (which according to Roku Blog is supposed to be fully supported). New episodes would, strangely enough, show up as available on Vudu, Amazon, etc, but not on the originating network FX through Sling.

I'll also add that I got my Roku Premiere+ through the Sling promotion just a few months ago. I do not have a lot of money and time invested in the Roku platform and would have no problem moving to another platform (AirTV, Nvidia Shield) if it performs better AND has more responsive support in regards to changes that actually negatively impact customers.

rjdriver

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:19 am

jeffmim wrote:
I'll jump on board with this. I used My Feeds to follow my favorite shows, a number of which had previous seasons on Netflix or other services I subscribe to. I could use the My Feed to easily get to the previous seasons on Netflix as it showed up that way (current season as 2016- and previous seasons as range of years, i.e. 2012-2016). Now, the only seasons that show up are the current seasons on channels other than Netflix (Vudu, Amazon, etc.) and NO previous seasons are showing up at all.

I had never tried My Feed until i saw this thread posted and at that time the service was offline for maintenance.  But I was hoping it would work exactly as you describe it once did.  Not just a way to be informed of updates in a series or availability of a movie, but as a list of favorites, if you will - all the shows you are currently watching from any service, with a way to bring you right to the season you were at without having to open the channel the normal way.  From what I read, it used to do this.  But also from what I read, the new version when it comes back will only offer notice of updates in TV series episodes and movie availability. 

Amazon Prime and Netflix both both offer new series, but because the entire season is released at once there are no "new" episodes to be notified of.  As described in Roku support emails and Twitter feeds posted in this thread, the new functionality will make tracking TV series on both of these services no longer possible in My Feed. 

Maybe Roku has done surveys and Jeffmim, lyprulz,  and I are in the minority.  I think it would be interesting to see users here advise how they use Roku for TV series watching.  What is the usage ratio for TV series where all episodes in a season are available at once ( Netflix, Amazon Prime or any similar service I may not be aware of) as opposed to series where episodes are released on a weekly basis (Vudu, non Prime Amazon video, HBO, Showtime, Starz, and the skinny bundle services like Sling and PS Vue,.) 

My Ratio would be 70/30 - all at once to weekly.
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA

TJ265

Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

I got a Feed notice today!  :shock:  First one in weeks.  M. Night Shyamalan's movie 'Split.'

But I'd still prefer to be able to view my whole list.  Sometimes shows became available when I wasn't in the mood to watch.  I'd like to be able to review them.  This new behavior is pissing me off.

Rcosta

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 pm

I just manually updated my Roku TV with 7.6 and now the "My feed" functionality has been "UPDATED" also.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB