Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

lyprulz

Re: "My Feed" = Not Working

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:04 am

Rcosta wrote:
I just manually updated my Roku TV with 7.6 and now the "My feed" functionality has been "UPDATED" also.

I won't be home to check this for myself for a few more hours -- does this update it to the previous functionality?

rjdriver

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:54 am

lyprulz wrote:
Rcosta wrote:
I just manually updated my Roku TV with 7.6 and now the "My feed" functionality has been "UPDATED" also.

I won't be home to check this for myself for a few more hours -- does this update it to the previous functionality?

As you have no doubt figured out by now - no, unfortunately it does not.  Only gives notification about weekly series episode updates and movie availability 
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA

Deviancy
Topic Author

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

Still not working?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:05 pm

It's not that it's "not working", it's that they've changed it to something different (but probably closer to what they originally intended). 

Rcosta

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:27 am

mikebdoss wrote:
It's not that it's "not working", it's that they've changed it to something different (but probably closer to what they originally intended). 

In my professional capacity in my career, I have found that there is a delicate balance between the business needs and the needs/desires of the end-users. From what I see from all of the forum traffic, the desire to have this feature brought back to the previous functionality is loud and clear.  In my opinion, from the present functionality. it looks like Roku is pushing movies onto us, not based on any user data, but simply for business needs. If I could delete some of the movies in my feed, then the functionality would be more acceptable. Most of the 80 movies that Roku is pushing, I would never watch. Thumbs down on the present functionality of "My Feed"
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

TJ265

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:06 am

Rcosta wrote:
In my professional capacity in my career, I have found that there is a delicate balance between the business needs and the needs/desires of the end-users. From what I see from all of the forum traffic, the desire to have this feature brought back to the previous functionality is loud and clear.  In my opinion, from the present functionality. it looks like Roku is pushing movies onto us, not based on any user data, but simply for business needs. If I could delete some of the movies in my feed, then the functionality would be more acceptable. Most of the 80 movies that Roku is pushing, I would never watch. Thumbs down on the present functionality of "My Feed"

I think you're on to it right here.  Because I've become curious as to how some channels turn up in search results while others streaming the same show don't.  Is it on a pay-for-play basis?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:15 pm

TJ265 wrote:
Rcosta wrote:

I think you're on to it right here.  Because I've become curious as to how some channels turn up in search results while others streaming the same show don't.  Is it on a pay-for-play basis?

That's probably because many channels don't provide a way for Roku to index their collection. 

AChanceFind

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:26 pm

I was using the My Feed to mostly see when movies/shows were available for free. As a result I had a long list of movies basically just bookmarked and would wait for the alerts to show up to see if it was free.  Sounds like now I'll still be alerted when something changes (new channel offering  or change in price?) but that long list is no longer being shown, which I'm guessing for Roku is probably less load on servers or something, along with pushing paid content, both of which are probably better business decisions for them. Now that I get this I think the way it is now probably is just as good since obviously my long list of bookmarked content wasn't getting viewed anyway. I also found that searching is indeed hit and miss so probably depends on how content is promoted or whatever other meta data is tacked on to content which may vary by providers, so really if I'm searching for something obscure an internet search is more reliable.  Either way it is what it is and I'm over it.

TJ265

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:30 pm

AChanceFind wrote:
I was using the My Feed to mostly see when movies/shows were available for free. As a result I had a long list of movies basically just bookmarked and would wait for the alerts to show up to see if it was free.  Sounds like now I'll still be alerted when something changes (new channel offering  or change in price?) but that long list is no longer being shown, which I'm guessing for Roku is probably less load on servers or something, along with pushing paid content, both of which are probably better business decisions for them. Now that I get this I think the way it is now probably is just as good since obviously my long list of bookmarked content wasn't getting viewed anyway. I also found that searching is indeed hit and miss so probably depends on how content is promoted or whatever other meta data is tacked on to content which may vary by providers, so really if I'm searching for something obscure an internet search is more reliable.  Either way it is what it is and I'm over it.

How does it lessen the load on their servers when everything we've "bookmarked" is still being maintained? 

AChanceFind

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:47 pm

I have no idea, I'm only speaking hypothetically that perhaps some infrastructure reason could be some other motive for Roku to change the behavior. The real failing here is Roku's continued inability to ever communicate anything to users when it comes to problems or changes to their platform.  You basically have to come here to tap into the chatter and get the information yourself; common theme always seems to be confusion from support.    I guess I can understand people's frustrations over losing the permanent long list view, but as for me I am over it now, I can always search for things again and decide then and there if I want to watch it and pay or wait for it to be free. 

lyprulz

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:19 pm

lyprulz wrote:
Rcosta wrote:

False alarm, for the record. The old functionality still has not returned.

Rcosta

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 pm

AChanceFind wrote:
I have no idea, I'm only speaking hypothetically that perhaps some infrastructure reason could be some other motive for Roku to change the behavior. The real failing here is Roku's continued inability to ever communicate anything to users when it comes to problems or changes to their platform.  You basically have to come here to tap into the chatter and get the information yourself; common theme always seems to be confusion from support.    I guess I can understand people's frustrations over losing the permanent long list view, but as for me I am over it now, I can always search for things again and decide then and there if I want to watch it and pay or wait for it to be free. 

What I am surprised is that there is no representative from support officially communicating the Roku response. I know that engineering occasionally posts here and it is nice to hear directly from the engineering team.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB

lyprulz

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:15 am

Hey everyone, I did a little digging on the Roku subreddit and found another official response that was very similar to the one that I got from Roku on Twitter. In short, once again, they are saying that they changed the functionality (for the worse, IMO). You can find the relevant thread in the following URL, and I've quoted the most relevant section below: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/60j120/my_feed_is_no_longer_showing_everything_you/ 

We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates.
Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed.
You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free.
As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!

Rcosta

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:25 pm

lyprulz wrote:
Hey everyone, I did a little digging on the Roku subreddit and found another official response that was very similar to the one that I got from Roku on Twitter. In short, once again, they are saying that they changed the functionality (for the worse, IMO). You can find the relevant thread in the following URL, and I've quoted the most relevant section below: https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/60j120/my_feed_is_no_longer_showing_everything_you/ 

We have made changes to My Feed to only show relevant updates.
Don’t worry, we are still keeping track of what you are following! We’re just removing the clutter of the entire list and streamlining the updates to your favorite content directly into My Feed.
You'll see updates when actors you follow have new movies, when new movies or shows you follow are available on Roku, and when movies and shows are available to buy, rent, or become free.
As far as the content that appears to be missing, you're still following it! It'll just show you when you have a recent update instead of showing the entire list. Hope this information is useful. Let us know if you have any other questions, and happy streaming!

What kind of FUZZY logic is that? I would really would like to understand what the thinking was for the decision to change the functionality and how this new functionality is better than the old functionality for the user.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB

Rcosta

Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:32 pm

My Feed update. A slight improvement is that a movie in my feed came up for free and I was notified with the (1) next to My Feed and in a separate window above the Movies window with the 80 "Roku Suggested/My Feed movies" combined together. This new window above the "combo" window is a step in the right direction to fix this "My Feed" debacle.

Thank you Roku, a step in the right direction, but not quite there yet, but closer! :-) 
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB