Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KaptainKornhole
Topic Author

Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:22 pm

Greetings,

I noticed my system updated to 7.5.1 build 4111 on Feb. 25th.  Now all movies with DTS are out of sync (audio with video).  From what I can see this is a common occurrence and is a bug with the 7.5 update.  To make matters worse, when I set the audio to Dolby D or Dolby D+ on the Roku no audio WHATSOEVER comes out of my receiver EVEN when I switch it back to "auto".  I actually have to "update software" via the secret menu (Home X 5, FF X3, and Rew X 2).  It won't let me rollback to 7.2.2 (before the bug occurred) and will only let me "update" to the same firmware I have now.  At least the sound comes back.  But the DTS sync issue is still there and I have some movies where that is the only audio stream (some have AC3 pass-through).  This is RIDICULOUS!  I bought a Roku because I thought it would be better than an Apple TV.  I had Prime, Plex, Netflix, etc. on the Roku.  My old Apple TV didn't have Plex or Prime.  I guess I have to buy a 4th generation Apple TV and junk the Roku.  I wonder if I can revise my online review where I bought it.  When are you going to fix this?!

jsmiddleton4

Re: Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:22 am

They keep telling us there aren't any issues with DTS.  There are.  They can't find the DTS Core if DTS HD MA is being used, etc.  Has problems with trying to get Plex to squeeze DTS through the Roku.  Plex blames ROKU.  Roku blames Plex.

thenizzle

Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 am

Same issue, same b.s. here.

This DTS bug is absolutely ridiculous.  I have not used my Roku in a while and was hoping maybe it was fixed.

How did they release such a product?????????????  I have Roku ULTRA btw... ULTRA as in ultra craptastic.

reuszenm

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:20 am

I have the same issue. I use DTS almost exclusively for PLEX and I'm getting awful sync issues. I'm also getting audio dropouts as well on every channel on my Onkyo TX-NR818 (tried both of my Premier + units). I'm now using my Gen2 FireTV instead when using PLEX and have replaced my Premiere + with an older Roku 3 to get rid of dropouts when using Vudu. 

This is a huge bummer for me. I'm a heavy Roku user and have passed down my older units to family members as I've upgraded. Looks like it's Amazon's player for me until this is figured out.

jsmiddleton4

Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 am

With the Plex/ROKU/DTS issues I'm not sure its JUST ROKU.  

Plex can't seem to play well with DTS in general.  Issues noted on the Plex forum regarding DTS.

And as we've seen in the past with this kind of thing Plex gently suggests its ROKU's fault.  ROKU gently suggests its Plex's.

As a result no one fixes it.

Its not some esoteric audio codec.  Its just DTS!

Very annoying.

dpippin

Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 am

Also having same issue. It is very frustrating there's been no movement on this.

zolotoiy

Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:49 am

Good thing I din't dump my elderly WDTV Live+ , just connected it again to my HT setup. Despite having sluggish UI WDTV plays every possible file format flawlessly including Dolby TruHD and DTS HD Master. And 1080p/24 to top-up already nice set

Parallax

Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 pm

zolotoiy wrote:
Good thing I din't dump my elderly WDTV Live+ , just connected it again to my HT setup. Despite having sluggish UI WDTV plays every possible file format flawlessly including Dolby TruHD and DTS HD Master. And 1080p/24 to top-up already nice set

Yeah I used to love my old WD TV Live as well - unfortunately it eventually died on me. Went for the Roku because of 4K+HDR support + Plex. On the sound side I am not really impressed because of the sync issues and lack of passthrough of old formats (DTS HDMA and Dolby TrueHD are indeed old).

Echoing the issue with DTS. I have experienced an increase in such problems ever since the 7.5.1 upgrade - and build 4111 (the latest) has made things worse as far as audio syncing goes. On the plus side they did fix my HDCP issues, so there's that.

Being a new Roku Premiere+ user, I will give them the benefit of the doubt and have some patience for them to fix this - but my patience only goes so far. At some point I will be prone to run off to a competitor like FireTV or Nvidia Shield (very expensive, but supports DTS-HDMA passthrough and many other sound formats natively).

atc98092

Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:55 am

The Nvidia Shield does indeed serve as a powerful streaming player. It will not only passthrough both DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD, but it also supports MPEG-2 video, as well as other codecs that are not supported by Roku. But all that does come at a cost. It's almost twice the price of a Roku Ultra, and the Shield Pro is $300. Also, it doesn't have as nice a user interface for playing local media. Kodi (or the Shield specific version called SPMC) provides the best UI, but it's much more complicated than using the Roku Media Player.
Roku is keeping beta testers extremely busy, so I have high hopes the issues are being addressed. Unfortunately, no one can say in this forum exactly what is being worked on.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

hackztor

Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:15 am

atc98092 wrote:
The Nvidia Shield does indeed serve as a powerful streaming player. It will not only passthrough both DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD, but it also supports MPEG-2 video, as well as other codecs that are not supported by Roku. But all that does come at a cost. It's almost twice the price of a Roku Ultra, and the Shield Pro is $300. Also, it doesn't have as nice a user interface for playing local media. Kodi (or the Shield specific version called SPMC) provides the best UI, but it's much more complicated than using the Roku Media Player.
Roku is keeping beta testers extremely busy, so I have high hopes the issues are being addressed. Unfortunately, no one can say in this forum exactly what is being worked on.

And that right there is the sad part. All people want to know is IS IT BEING FIXED. That gives people assurance, then people want to know an ETA. A few days, a few weeks, a few months, a few years. So many companies try to keep all this relase notes secret and I am fine when it is features but not when it comes to bug fixes. In the end, the shield costs a little more than a roku ultra but if you add the fact that the shield includes a gaming remote ($60) that gets you right about the price point of a shield compared to a roku. All the other benefits shield provides is just a cushion. The only downside to the shield is the newer version loses IR and SD card (which sucks for older harmony remotes and people who do not want to plug a external hd/ssd into the unit). Due to the unit being 16GB this can become an issue. I like a clean media center and do not want an external hd.

atc98092

Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:14 am

I too wish Roku staff would be more forthcoming about what is being worked on. It frustrates us beta testers that might be aware of an issue being addressed. I can't say if this issue is being worked on, because it never affected me so I never paid attention to it. But the NDA doesn't let me discuss anything being worked on anyway. 
My guess is that they don't want to say they're fixing something, then not having the fix in the next release. It's terrible to promise something then not deliver, so they likely feel it's better not to promise anything. I'm not saying I agree with that, but it could be their reasoning.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

chicagohusky

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 am

No. It has become EXTREMELY obvious that they don't give a flower about their product. Look at how many people have audio issues with their 4th gen products.

The fix is to just keep it as quiet as possible and keep milking unsuspecting customers. The only way to hold them accountable is to go out and start posting truthful reviews of their product.

atc98092

Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:42 pm

chicagohusky wrote:
No. It has become EXTREMELY obvious that they don't give a flower about their product. Look at how many people have audio issues with their 4th gen products.

The fix is to just keep it as quiet as possible and keep milking unsuspecting customers. The only way to hold them accountable is to go out and start posting truthful reviews of their product.

Well, let's just say I disagree that they don't care. I know how hard they are working on issues. But I do wish they'd be more active about telling people they know of issues and are addressing them. The silence just makes people think like you do, and I can't blame you for that. If they made some effort in this area, I think it would help people be a little more patient. But honestly, I understand.
Dan

dgmelvin

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:30 pm

Does anyone that actually works at ROKU even look at these posts? If they haven't been able to fix this known and widely reported issue for a good portion of the last year, can they fix it? Should I just return my Premiere+ and go back to my Roku 3? I'm tired of this kind of stuff. i want to hear a definitive answer from ROKU now!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:02 pm

Yes, every post is read.

No, we cannot comment on potential and/or ETAs on when a bug will be fixed.

I'm sorry I can't give any more information about this issue at this time.  It IS being investigated.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan