Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

atc98092

Re: Is Roku Ever Going to Fix the DTS Audio Sync Bug?!

Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 am

interconnect wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
While I have Plex, I rarely use it. Instead I have a DLNA server installed on my media server. I'm currently watching a movie (using the Roku Media Player) with a DTS Master Audio track, which my Roku 4 passes through to my AVR as just the lossy DTS core. If I watch really closely, I might see just a hair of a audio sync issue, but I have to be watching for it. And I could be imaging it because I'm looking for it. Overall, the DTS audio appears to be in sync for me. My point is that it might not be a Roku issue, but instead something with the Plex channel. If I had to guess, Plex is likely transcoding the audio, which might introduce a sync issue. Since the audio doesn't need transcoding, it's something that Plex shouldn't be doing. I do know that Plex by default will transcode videos that really don't need it, in their effort to reliably play as much content as possible. 

All DTS audio is out of sync, regardless of the app; it’s a system wide issue.

Well, I saw no sync issue with my Roku 4 last night. I'm not trying to defend Roku (although it guess I am), but problems that are random are really hard to troubleshoot and resolve. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

interconnect

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:32 am

atc98092 wrote:
interconnect wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
While I have Plex, I rarely use it. Instead I have a DLNA server installed on my media server. I'm currently watching a movie (using the Roku Media Player) with a DTS Master Audio track, which my Roku 4 passes through to my AVR as just the lossy DTS core. If I watch really closely, I might see just a hair of a audio sync issue, but I have to be watching for it. And I could be imaging it because I'm looking for it. Overall, the DTS audio appears to be in sync for me. My point is that it might not be a Roku issue, but instead something with the Plex channel. If I had to guess, Plex is likely transcoding the audio, which might introduce a sync issue. Since the audio doesn't need transcoding, it's something that Plex shouldn't be doing. I do know that Plex by default will transcode videos that really don't need it, in their effort to reliably play as much content as possible. 

Well, I saw no sync issue with my Roku 4 last night. I'm not trying to defend Roku (although it guess I am), but problems that are random are really hard to troubleshoot and resolve. 

Well it’s not random. Your using DLNA so that may be bypassing any processing that’s done onboard the Roku, and hence no issue. However, anyone that tries to play a MKV with DTS using a locally installed app has the sync problem. It’s not a Plex issue since it happens when using all locally installed apps.

Point is, if you don’t know, just don’t start making conclusions on where the problem is.

Pieter3d

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Just ran into this issue too. DTS audio is slightly ahead of the video. What a shame, I really like the Roku Ultra otherwise.

I've temporarily avoided the issue by setting HDMI audio to only Dolby+, causing DTS to be transcoded on the fly. So far I can't tell if the audio quality is diminished or not but it really would be nice to just avoid this all together and have the Roku output the native DTS stream.

Fingers crossed that this bug gets worked on in 2018!

PManarin

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:57 am

I've had to do the same with DTS > DD. It is a real shame because the Roku specifications of being able to handle DTS was the selling point over every other streaming device. I feel a little cheated everything I play a DTS file. Not sure whether to give the android TV box a go or get an apple TV for Emby if DTS will continue to transcode on roku?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:27 pm

If you have a file you can upload to our problem media box account that shows this dts audio sync problem, please pm me and I'll send an invite.
thanks
rokudale

interconnect

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 pm

RokuDale wrote:
If you have a file you can upload to our problem media box account that shows this dts audio sync problem, please pm me and I'll send an invite.
thanks
rokudale

Sure, that would be every single DTS Audio track in my library, which is hundreds.

PManarin

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:16 am

I have a 50Mb sample with DTS that you can use. Has two actors with dialogue so that you can see the sync issues.

knight2001dts

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi!

As a complete newby to the ROKU world, I have just bought 2 ROKU ULTRA 4660 units after having tried one and being blown away.

I use PLEX as my media interface.

I didn't notice this audio issue until I watched a movie with a DTS soundtrack last night and now found (thankfully) that I'm not the only one having the issue.

The media player itself is extremely powerful and incredibly smooth when it comes to video - playing 4K video as smooth as silk - something my 8 core Mac wont even touch!

It is good to see that ROKU has acknowledged the issue and is working on it.

I would also like to see an option to manually adjust the audio delay in the menu - in case of future audio formats causing the same sync issues?  At least that way there would be a manual workaround until a fix is released.......could that even be a possibility for the moment until a fix is released?

There is also the option to re-encode as DD but that kind of defeats the purpose of the better quality audio offered by DTS.

I will also make the same suggestion on the PLEX forums as that feature has been available on older versions of PLEX in the past....and it helped me out a number of times when the A/V sync was slightly off.

Looking forward to this being resolved as so far, it is the BEST player I have ever used!!!!

Ray745

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 pm

RokuDale wrote:
thanks
rokudale

Every single movie I have that has DTS audio and no alternative audio streams has this happen to it.  I know it's not Plex's fault because it also happens when I put any of the DTS movies on a usb stick and put it right in the Roku and use the Roku media player.  I have a Roku 4660X on 8.0.1 now and it's still happening.  It's getting really really bothersome to be unable to watch all this movies with DTS audio.

atc98092

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45 pm

interconnect wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
interconnect wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Well it’s not random. Your using DLNA so that may be bypassing any processing that’s done onboard the Roku, and hence no issue. However, anyone that tries to play a MKV with DTS using a locally installed app has the sync problem. It’s not a Plex issue since it happens when using all locally installed apps.

Point is, if you don’t know, just don’t start making conclusions on where the problem is.

Nope, don't buy it. Me using DLNA is no different than someone using the Plex server and channel. In fact, I have more control over my DLNA server than a Plex user does. My server is feeding the video and audio as is, meaning the DTS Master Audio track is being streamed. Roku is doing the same processing to my audio stream as if it were connected via USB. It is passing the DTS audio core (and stripping out the Master Audio data) through HDMI to my Yamaha AVR. I have been watching The Martian using the Roku Media Player for the last 30 minutes, including one stop and resume, and the sound is perfectly synchronized.So how is my observation (not a conclusion, by the way) that it seems to be random not valid? All I'm saying is that it doesn't happen at all times to everyone. As someone who has done software development in the past, I recognize how difficult it is to find a problem that doesn't always happen.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Ray745

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:52 pm

atc98092 wrote:
interconnect wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
interconnect wrote:

Nope, don't buy it. Me using DLNA is no different than someone using the Plex server and channel. In fact, I have more control over my DLNA server than a Plex user does. My server is feeding the video and audio as is, meaning the DTS Master Audio track is being streamed. Roku is doing the same processing to my audio stream as if it were connected via USB. It is passing the DTS audio core (and stripping out the Master Audio data) through HDMI to my Yamaha AVR. I have been watching The Martian using the Roku Media Player for the last 30 minutes, including one stop and resume, and the sound is perfectly synchronized.So how is my observation (not a conclusion, by the way) that it seems to be random not valid? All I'm saying is that it doesn't happen at all times to everyone. As someone who has done software development in the past, I recognize how difficult it is to find a problem that doesn't always happen.

I think some people have a problem with you calling it random because for some of us, it happens on every single DTS track.  Obviously, if it's not happening to you, then it's not something that happens on every single Roku Ultra on every DTS track, but it seems like there are a lot of Ultra's out there where it happens on every single DTS track, mine included.  I'd be interested to hear if it ever happens on yours, or is yours always ok?  

atc98092

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm

Yes, by random I was referring to not every Roku has an issue, not that it only happens with some titles. 
I'd have to take some time to determine which of my files has DTS audio (Master Audio or otherwise), but from what I've observed I have never seen any audio sync issues on any channel, other than YouTube. And with YT I am suspicious of the source material.
Dan

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Is anyone having these DTS audio sync issues with the older Roku-4? If you have both the Roku-4 and Ultra with optical is there a difference in DTS AV-SYNC?

atc98092

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:11 pm

RokuDale wrote:
Is anyone having these DTS audio sync issues with the older Roku-4? If you have both the Roku-4 and Ultra with optical is there a difference in DTS AV-SYNC?

Dale, I don't notice an issue with either my Ultra or my 4. However, they both use HDMI audio connected to Yamaha AVRs. 
Dan

Pieter3d

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:16 pm

atc98092 wrote:
RokuDale wrote:

Dale, I don't notice an issue with either my Ultra or my 4. However, they both use HDMI audio connected to Yamaha AVRs. 

Does your Yamaha AVR support DTS decode? If so, is your Roku Ultra set to output it, or is it set to just output PCM or Dolby?