Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

festermower

Re: Spotify Roku Channel (playlists) Officially Dead

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:14 am

Just bought a Roku 3 today.  I set it up, only to find that it can't play Spotify playlists! (I am a Spotify Premium subscriber.) What the heck is that about?  It is outragrous that Roku feature the Spotify logo on their box, to sell their product, when such a basic Spotify function as this is missing.  What use is searching for individual artists or albums, when I have spent years building my own playlists? Ridiculous.  I'm taking the Roku box back to the shop.

makaiguy

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:48 am

That's fine, but Spotify created and maintains the application, not Roku. You should be complaining to Spotify.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Indeed. Spotify, NOT Roku, chose to disable those features. 

trekkeriii

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:08 pm

festermower wrote:
Just bought a Roku 3 today.  I set it up, only to find that it can't play Spotify playlists! (I am a Spotify Premium subscriber.) What the heck is that about?  It is outragrous that Roku feature the Spotify logo on their box, to sell their product, when such a basic Spotify function as this is missing.  What use is searching for individual artists or albums, when I have spent years building my own playlists? Ridiculous.  I'm taking the Roku box back to the shop.

Keep in mind, Roku 3 is over 4 years old, you picked up a box made when Spotify worked fine on Roku. The newer models don't feature Spotify on the Roku boxes anymore.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

belltown
Topic Author

Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:08 am

festermower wrote:

That's one of many reasons that my Rokus are now sitting in a drawer, and I've switched to using the Amazon Fire TV. It has a working Spotify channel that will play my playlists.
https://github.com/belltown/

jeffrok

Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
festermower wrote:

Keep in mind, Roku 3 is over 4 years old, you picked up a box made when Spotify worked fine on Roku. The newer models don't feature Spotify on the Roku boxes anymore.

Actually the last Roku 3s were made in 2015, and discontinued last year.. Not ancient even by Roku standards. But still, a person shouldn't take it out on Roku because Spotify abandoned its Roku channel.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

gkl

Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:45 am

I've long been frustrated by Spotify's lack of support for its Roku channel.  I have no idea why this is the case and I wish that Roku and Spotify would work together to have a first-rate customer experience.  Both would benefit so it is in both companies' interest.  But there are likely reasons for this which none of us who are customers of both know.

That said, I still consider Roku the best streamer available and Spotify the best music streaming service available. So, I simply use my phone and Bluetooth speaker to listen to Spotify and use Roku for just about everything else.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Crow550

Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:21 pm

I'm a free Spotify member and personally Spotify on the Chromecast is the best as it allows the same functionality as the PC Desktop version. Really nice.  8)

yingsane

Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:28 pm

Came here looking for support on this topic after getting nothing from Spotify for over a year, but of course Roku can't do anything at all to help get this working, right? I can't believe Spotify really has no interest in all at fixing this. They must have hit some kind of roadblock. The most popular smart TV doesn't work with the most popular music stream service? Makes no sense. 

Well I blame both companies. I already cancelled my Spotify Premium and switched to Google Play, and oh Google play music isn't on Roku so I'm switching to Android TVs going forward. Google gets all the monies. So..Very..Dissapoint.

Heyitsrick

Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:19 am

yingsane wrote:
Came here looking for support on this topic after getting nothing from Spotify for over a year, but of course Roku can't do anything at all to help get this working, right? I can't believe Spotify really has no interest in all at fixing this. They must have hit some kind of roadblock. The most popular smart TV doesn't work with the most popular music stream service? Makes no sense. 

Well I blame both companies. I already cancelled my Spotify Premium and switched to Google Play, and oh Google play music isn't on Roku so I'm switching to Android TVs going forward. Google gets all the monies. So..Very..Dissapoint.

You know, that reminds me. One of my favorite programs is no longer available on Microsoft Windows. I'm going to blame Microsoft! Look, Roku is a platform for content. Unless someone can prove that they are blocking an entity from launching or maintaining a channel, there's only one place to lay the blame: the company or companies that make the channels.

It makes no sense - zero - for Roku to try and do anything to prevent Spotify or anyone else from having content on its platform. Now, if your argument is that Roku should be begging Spotify to come back or doing all the grunt work for Spotify to keep a channel on the Roku platform, then I'm not sure what to say about that. It certainly hasn't prevented Netflix, Amazon, MLB, etc., from having authenticated channels on Roku. At some point the finger has to be pointed in the right direction.

Crow550

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm

yingsane wrote:

Can't use a Chromecast for Spotify n such & Roku for rest?

Best of both worlds....

Littleb

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Could always do what I did and switch to Deezer.

PeteC2

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:47 am

Got a message on Roku today that as of December 22 Spotify would not be available due to an upgrade. No info on how long. Hard to imagine they couldn't have come up with a new version and seamlessly launched without interruption, so I wonder what's really going on.

gkl

Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:24 pm

PeteC2 wrote:
Got a message on Roku today that as of December 22 Spotify would not be available due to an upgrade. No info on how long. Hard to imagine they couldn't have come up with a new version and seamlessly launched without interruption, so I wonder what's really going on.

I saw that as well. The message seemed to imply some sort of joint effort between Roku and Spotify to create a channel worthy of 2018, not 2011. Hopefully, that will happen. Why the existing channel would go away in the interim is unclear.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Crow550

Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm

Allowing free play would be rad since Chromecast allows that function.