Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Feature Requests - Second Quarter 2017

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:58 am

This thread is for posting feature suggestions for the 1st quarter of 2017. Each quarter, I will be starting a new thread in order to keep the information concise, and will archive older threads as needed.

Feel free to make your own feature requests!

(If I get some free time this weekend and/or next week, I'll update the Top Feature Requests listing)

C. Shawn Smith

Top Previous Feature Requests (from previous years - NOT updated yet)
  • Support for USB Antenna (for OTA)
  • Passcode individual channels/settings/channel store
  • DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru
  • 1080p/24p playback
  • Categorize channel lineup (folders, etc)
  • Remote with programmable favorite buttons
  • Wireless audio transmission for Roku Remote App (like Roku 3 audio port)
  • Ability to pair with BlueTooth headphones
  • Screensaver that is simply a 100% Black Screen
  • allow both private listening and the tv speakers to be active at the same time
  • DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4
  • the ability to set up a WiFi remote capable device (such as a Roku 2/3 or a Stck) with a mobile device
  • To be continued ...
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Kellyh

Re: Feature Requests - Second Quarter 2017

Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Picture in Picture or side by side picture. So we can view two games at once. Or so we can open any two channels at once. Kelly

kliptick

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 am

Making my Roku Ultra work properly should be number 1 on the list.  Fix the popping/cracking sound every 15 min or so.  Fix the DD+ 7.1 issue, there is no sound for movies in DD+ 7.1.  Fix the HDCP 2.2 error that pops up, my TV and HDMI cables are HDCP 2.2 ready and my internet speed is 60 Mbps.  Several of these issues have been around since January, the release of 7.5.1.

Parallax

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:15 am

Seems like the Feature request list is just being copy-pasted between each quarter, with little to no changes. Are features ever actually added from this list

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:53 am

Parallax wrote:
Seems like the Feature request list is just being copy-pasted between each quarter, with little to no changes. Are features ever actually added from this list

RokuShawnS wrote:
Top Previous Feature Requests (from previous years - NOT updated yet)
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

torpex505

Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Full CEC support. I hate having multiple remotes and have yet to find a universal remote for the streaming sticks.

cplguy

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:00 am

Screen Mirroring on the Roku Express would be nice.

kebija

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 pm

An ability to turn off the side ads, or at least customize what shows up. I do not like seeing ads with a half naked man holding something up that says "The morning after." I don't have cable because of the garbage on there and use Roku because it allows me to control what it is my children can see and watch. Ads like this are not what I want my children seeing.

kebija

Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:24 pm

kliptick wrote:
Making my Roku Ultra work properly should be number 1 on the list.  Fix the popping/cracking sound every 15 min or so.  Fix the DD+ 7.1 issue, there is no sound for movies in DD+ 7.1.  Fix the HDCP 2.2 error that pops up, my TV and HDMI cables are HDCP 2.2 ready and my internet speed is 60 Mbps.  Several of these issues have been around since January, the release of 7.5.1.

Sounds like you have a defective unit.

kliptick

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 am

kebija wrote:
kliptick wrote:

Sounds like you have a defective unit.

You would think so but it work fine before the roll out of 7.5 and I am not the only person experiencing these problems.  Look through the forum and read some customer reviews, all the same problem.  If it is defective then I would like Roku to send me a knew one.  But again, read through the forum and reviews, a new one will get you the same problems. 

spanglmd

Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:54 am

FIX THE HDCP PURPLE SCREEN OF DEATH, HOW ABOUT THAT FOR A FEATURE REQUEST?

Skip in WV

Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:29 pm

When you watch something ro several hours then press the back button the TV listing time doesn't update without pressing the back button. So, fix it so the TV listing ti,e automatically updates.

mg+250

Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:40 am

Your newest, most expensive Roku Ultra still offers no option for putting it in sleep mode.  This would allow the user not to have to wait while the entire box reboots when it is turned on again.  
Apple box has a sleep mode
Amazon Fire TV has sleep mode
Almost positive Nvidia has sleep mode also

The signal being always active interferes with phones and other devices.  

Roku:  WAKE UP and update the firmware so that sleep mode is available.

bigdog660

Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi,

Here are my requests for Roku 3 and above:

1. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA pass through.
2. Support Opus audio codec (royalty free codec) in stereo and surround via conversion to PCM through HDMI. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)
3. Support of the AV1 video codec (royalty free codec). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOMedia_Video_1
4. DivX/Xvid video decoding natively in AVI and MKV containers (no need to trans-code).
5. Support IDX/SUB (extracted DVD subtitles), SUP (Blu-Ray subtitles) SUB (SubViewer), and SRT (SubRip) subtitle formats inside and outside of containers such as .MP4, .MKV, and .AVI
6. The ability to organize my channels via the Roku web site as well as using the remote. If a customer has multiple Roku devices, they can copy/paste all or some channels from one device to another using Roku.com. Also the ability to use folders would be great!

Hopefully there is enough community support so these features can be added.

Thanks!

P.S. If the processor in Roku 3 is strong enough to support decoding H.265 and/or AV1, then I think we we all would love to see that supported even if we know that the max resolution will be 1080p. If someone trys to play a 4K video in any format, just throw a resolution error.
1 x Roku Ultra, 3 x Roku 3

Noggle

Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:06 pm

Ability to have a channel auto-load on Roku startup. To limit endless restart loops just make the roku check how often its restarted in the past 3 minutes to prevent an endless restart loop from some channel issue or something.

I've recently joined the roku bandwagon in order to save some money on cordcutting, using sling tv, and would be able to streamline a lot of my experience if I could make it autoload to even the SlingTV menu rather than having to load it manually. I live with a few tech illiterate people whom this would benefit greatly; I'm almost considering going back to paying an extra $80 a month to bring back in cable boxes at this point. I'm sure this option would benefit a lot of people who are trying to help less tech inclined people to enjoy streaming services. 
( For those of you wondering why you wouldn't "just leave the channel on", a lot of streaming services only allow a certain number of devices to be active at the same time. If I have the ability to have 3 streams, but have 4 possible outputs, rather than juggle the boxes manually I've elected to use the service port on the TVs to power our Roku Express, aswell as less potential for people to poke at wires. )