Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rwhewitt
Topic Author

Weather4US UPDATE 3.0 kills Channel tonight

Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:33 pm

The April 19th 2017 update Version 3.0 of WEATHER4US killled the channel for me.  Can only get as far as WEATHER4US title screen, then Rokus shuts down the channel and reverts to the Home Screen.  Tried the usual reboot and re-install.  Same problem.  The update popped up here after 5pm PT, so guess the developers are home for the evening.  Hope it is fixed tomorrow.  Have two other weather channels (Weather Nation and Weather Network) They work fine.  In fact WEATHER4US  worked this morning before the update.  

My setup:
ROKU 2 XS
Ethernet connected
Comcast
90 mbps

MacysBruce

Re: Weather4US UPDATE 3.0 kills Channel tonight

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Same here. App is now useless for me. Goes to tile screen, then back to home screen. Totally inoperable.
I will bring home anyone or anything I choose...including a one eyed Episcopalian kangaroo, if that happens to be my kinky inclination!

Rcosta

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:55 pm

I find posts like this dumbfounding. As I manage software developers for a living here in the Silicon Valley, usually software is not released without a top to bottom QA test. I would think that if a developer found that the latest release broke their channel, at a minimum rollback the release to the previous version.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

rwhewitt
Topic Author

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:19 pm

RCOSTA:  You are 200% correct.  I am JPL/NASA retired.  We always sandboxed the software updates and did a thorough QA before uploading any changes.  At the very least, WEATHER4US should roll back the software to the previous version.  I was able to find their email address.  My message alerting them to the broken update has yet to be answered.  I will wait a bit longer before deleting the once useful channel from my lineup.  At least I now know that others have the same problem.

belltown

Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:51 pm

It may not necessarily be something that can be fixed by rolling back the software. Most weather services rely on external APIs that they have no control over to acquire their data. If an API change caused the channel to stop working, then no amount of rolling back will do any good. They'd need to change their code to be compatible with the API changes. That could take time, especially if you have multiple device platforms to support.
https://github.com/belltown/

w5pny

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:06 pm

I'm still having this same problem.  I've sent a number of e-mails to their support over the past
few days with NO responses.  I can get their forecast via a browser that uses the Chrome engine,
but the latest Firefox no longer works with them.  Via a chrome browser their locations
for my zip code and town are now nowhere near correct.  I get forecasts for locations almost 200 miles
away instead of my location. That happened at the same time
this Roku fiasco started.  Amazing!  I am a paid Weather4us subscriber for each of my Roku's.  You'd
think they'd want to keep their subscribers.

23rdDjin

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:07 am

quite strange indeed. mine is 3.0 as well, yet works just fine. i have yet to receive the update for the ROKU itself, however (still at 7.5.0), which may or may not make a difference. 

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

DarkJedi

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 am

I don't use the app often, but since I saw your post I have been checking in a couple times a day. I have the unpaid version, I will tolerate the ad for as little as I use it. I have had no problem accessing the app.

FWIW, my current preferred weather app is The Weather Network.

w5pny

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Hooray, Weather4us finally released a new update (still 3.0, but dated April 24, 2017) and it seems to
work with the correct locations. After manually checking for updates every few hours, it appeared late this afternoon.
My Roku version all along was 7.6.0 on all my Roku's, so if 7.5.0 worked, maybe they never checked it with
7.6.0 or some such.  Almost a week before they fixed it though....

belltown

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

w5pny wrote:
Almost a week before they fixed it though....

Unfortunately, the way Roku's channel submission and approval process works, it can easily take a week, or a month, or more, from the time the developer releases a channel update, to the time Roku makes it available in the Channel Store. They could at least have responded to their users' inquiries though.
https://github.com/belltown/

Rocket24

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:47 am

When I saw the post with others reporting it fixed I had to try it myself, still didn't work (it was April 25 and the fix was reported April 24th). Decided to check to see if my Roku had updated.

Settings > System > System Update

On the screen it says: "Your Roku player checks for software and channel updates automatically once per day. You can also manually check for updates."

Clicked on "Check Now"

The Roku reported Weather4Us updating, tried again and it is finally working! Yay!. Thanks to all in this forum for updates!

rwhewitt
Topic Author

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:17 am

Now working here too.  Build 2 posted yesterday.  As an aside, Developer also maintains the Cams on TV channel for ROKU.  It is now down as of this morning.  Cams on TV will not launch.  Wait a few days.