Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Firmware 7.6 update

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Ultra and more Roku TVs can now do manual updates.
Roku3 and Roku2s still on pause
Last edited by RokuDale on Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockou

Re: Firmware 7.6 udpate

Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 am

Just updated my Ultra this morning after seeing this. I was able to switch back to 10 bit 4:2:0 without HDCP errors now. The last update was the only time I had a problem with that and had to go to 4:2:2 just to fix it.
Tried Netflix, Vudu and YouTube with no problems I could see or hear.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Sudhirrssk

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 am

Looks like DD+ 7.1 and Dolby Atmos now playing fine without any issues. I played the sample Dolby Atmos bundle and Rogue 1 on Vudu and both of them are playing fine.

netnothing

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:02 am

Sudhirrssk wrote:
Looks like DD+ 7.1 and Dolby Atmos now playing fine without any issues. I played the sample Dolby Atmos bundle and Rogue 1 on Vudu and both of them are playing fine.

Yup, so far in my quick test, I'm also seeing the 7.1 Vudu issue is fixed.
-Kevin

home_theatre_man

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am

7.6 build does not fix any of the P+ issues I have logged, including periodic audio bitstream hiccup/dropout and Netflix color matrix error for 709 inside 2020.

rockou

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:33 pm

The lipsync has been corrected via my receiver for a while but tonight I turned it off for the Ultra and everything seems to be in sync now.
This update seems pretty great for my set up. Haven't found anything yet that's wrong.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Jmboiardi

Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:21 pm

I am really disappointed with Roku's software SQA team. The firmware releases - 7.5 and 7.6 - are buggy and constantly introduce new problems. My Roku Ultra had continuous issues with the HDCP handshake and HDR until the last version of the 7.5 firmware. Even then, the Roku still would not recognize that my A/V receiver supports HDR and HDCP 2.2. even though it displayed content no problem. I would have to go into display type and re-do the display type to get the 3 green check marks.

Now they release this turd that is 7.6 which seems more focused on Roku TVs and it creates yet more HDCP handshake issues and app instability. Fortunately I could revert back to the less-of-a-turd 7.5 firmware. Come on Roku - either fire your SQA staff and stop rushing out buggy firmware or just stop adding new features and products. My Roku 3's worked flawlessly. Since you introduced the new hardware and firmware, your product quality has gone in the toilet.

Elijah_Baley

Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm

Well this update did NOT fix the problem with the Ultra not properly stretching some anamorphic content.
It also reintroduced the brief audio dropouts when starting or restarting some videos.

So just based on two bugs that impact me I have to say this update is a huge fail.

It looks like the Roku product has been made so complex that the Roku programmers are no longer competent to handle it well.

There is still nothing that is as easy to use and as flexible and as reliable but Roku is rapidly working to catch up with those that are trailing them. The last few "updates" have been disappointments and the Fire TV and Shield TV have actually fixed some things. Of course those folks had much more to fix so it is not surprising that they hit the target better.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

jp1

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:00 am

When will Roku respond to all the problems plaguing the Ultra? It is quite clear they are wide spread and all the silence really makes it feel like you don't care. I realize the forum is just a small percentage of users, but imagine all the users who don't bother with coming here to question the issues. Maybe they go online looking for a fix, or they wait for an update that is hopefully going to fix everything....or maybe they just eat the loss and never purchase another Roku product again. You do have a great platform, but that doesn't mean you can just spit in the face of your user base with problematic software and/or hardware and never offer any solutions. Eventually we are largely going to move on to something that works properly.

I would open a ticket on my unit because it is so troublesome, but from the experiences of people who have it sounds like a waste of time. By the time I purchase another high end streaming unit to replace this one, I may as well have purchased an Xbox One S and have a UHD BD player to boot. That isn't even accounting for the gaming capabilities. 

I want to love you again Roku, but I'm not going to keep taking a loss to remain loyal. Especially when you can't even be bothered to comment.

atc98092

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:10 am

I would say they have responded, although it appears that the latest build didn't resolve the issues for everyone. It is extremely difficult to fix something that doesn't always appear. They have to be able to replicate the problem before it can be resolved. As one Ultra owner who hasn't experienced these problems, I can't offer to assist via their beta testing program (although I am a participant). If you still have problems, offering to become a beta tester and provide your feedback to the fixes. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Eluder

Re: Firmware 7.6 update

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:03 am

Firmware 7.6 didn't resolve any of the issues I've been having.
Still get the popping/clicking sounds in Netflix and the Ultra still can't do the HDCP handshake properly when waking up from full sleep mode.
Quite frustrating that these issues are ongoing for such a long time.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:37 am

atc98092 wrote:
I would say they have responded, although it appears that the latest build didn't resolve the issues for everyone. It is extremely difficult to fix something that doesn't always appear. They have to be able to replicate the problem before it can be resolved. As one Ultra owner who hasn't experienced these problems, I can't offer to assist via their beta testing program (although I am a participant). If you still have problems, offering to become a beta tester and provide your feedback to the fixes. 

Beta testing for Roku is, from my experience, a near total waste of time. They do not listen to or respond to testers unless the testers report what Roku wants to hear. In my years in the program I never felt that Roku really valued their testers and they rarely even engaged the testers on the beta forum.

I do not think Roku really wants testers unless those testers are willing to only report problems that fit in with Roku's plans or are total show stoppers.

Roku was, and for now still is, the best streamer there is but their software is becoming more and more buggy and they are not taking steps to fix the bugs before moving forward. This poor quality control is causing Roku to be less of the front runner they once were and it is getting closer and closer to the time where some other streamer will overtake Roku in their first position.

I would not waste my time and energy beta testing for Roku but rather the time is better spent finding ways to make what now exists work better and in researching alternatives.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

netnothing

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:47 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Beta testing for Roku is, from my experience, a near total waste of time. They do not listen to or respond to testers unless the testers report what Roku wants to hear. In my years in the program I never felt that Roku really valued their testers and they rarely even engaged the testers on the beta forum.

I do not think Roku really wants testers unless those testers are willing to only report problems that fit in with Roku's plans or are total show stoppers.

Roku was, and for now still is, the best streamer there is but their software is becoming more and more buggy and they are not taking steps to fix the bugs before moving forward. This poor quality control is causing Roku to be less of the front runner they once were and it is getting closer and closer to the time where some other streamer will overtake Roku in their first position.

I would not waste my time and energy beta testing for Roku but rather the time is better spent finding ways to make what now exists work better and in researching alternatives.

Basically what I feared.  Seems this is way a lot of companies are going.  I've been a beta tester with other products/companies and the vast majority of them were absolutely useless.  Most times I never saw anything get fixed. I was hoping Roku was going to be different. I signed up on 3/21 to be a tester and still haven't been put into a program (even with PMs from Roku about it specifically on this chirping issue).  

I'm at the end of my rope with this issue.  We watched a lot of movies this weekend and to hear the chirps move around my sound system was painful.  I'm tired of it.  We even switched back to watching a movie via Vudu on my TiVo since it's was only an HDX movie anyway.  I don't really care about the people who don't have the issue.  I'm happy for you.  Count yourself lucky.  But when multiple people take the time to register and submit on forums like these, you would at least think Roku would start to take them seriously.  They haven't.  I've had companies offer to call me directly to understand more about an issue.......nothing but silence from Roku on this.  I'm just so frustrated as Roku really is my streamer of choice - but if they don't fix this issue rather quickly now, I'll be forced to move on to another company.

-Kevin

TheAirWolf

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:37 am

I upgraded to the Firmware update of 7.6 on my Roku Ultra and I still get the popping/clicking sounds in Netflix.  My Roku 3 never had any of these problems. 

Breadman86

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:38 pm

TheAirWolf wrote:
I upgraded to the Firmware update of 7.6 on my Roku Ultra and I still get the popping/clicking sounds in Netflix.  My Roku 3 never had any of these problems. 

Same thing. Popping and clicking noises persist across all streaming video apps on my Roku... Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, etc. I did not have this issue with my Roku in November when I bought it (I had other issues then, to be fair). Starting with the January update, the clicking noises began, and they are not solved with this update. 
Another problem I noticed is that if the displaying is set to 4K HDR and I'm watching something non-HDR but in 4K on Netflix, black areas will flash white every now and then. It's very odd. If I switch the display back to 4K (no HDR), I don't have this flashing issue, but it's inconvenient to switch the display type every time you want to watch a different show.