Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Dakotah

Re: Firmware 7.6 update

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 pm

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101437
Since upgrading my Ultra, I'm only getting PCM Stereo passed via optical. Everything is being downmixed to stereo. 

phanguy

Re: Firmware 7.6 udpate

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:48 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
I would say they have responded, although it appears that the latest build didn't resolve the issues for everyone. It is extremely difficult to fix something that doesn't always appear. They have to be able to replicate the problem before it can be resolved. As one Ultra owner who hasn't experienced these problems, I can't offer to assist via their beta testing program (although I am a participant). If you still have problems, offering to become a beta tester and provide your feedback to the fixes. 

Beta testing for Roku is, from my experience, a near total waste of time. They do not listen to or respond to testers unless the testers report what Roku wants to hear. In my years in the program I never felt that Roku really valued their testers and they rarely even engaged the testers on the beta forum.

I do not think Roku really wants testers unless those testers are willing to only report problems that fit in with Roku's plans or are total show stoppers.

Roku was, and for now still is, the best streamer there is but their software is becoming more and more buggy and they are not taking steps to fix the bugs before moving forward. This poor quality control is causing Roku to be less of the front runner they once were and it is getting closer and closer to the time where some other streamer will overtake Roku in their first position.

I would not waste my time and energy beta testing for Roku but rather the time is better spent finding ways to make what now exists work better and in researching alternatives.

i would disagree about it being the best streamer... i gave my original fire tv to my girlfriend after "upgrading" to the ultra, and since then amazon has released a completely overhauled interface for the fire tv that is just gorgeous relative to the interface i have on the ultra(first roku so not sure if it's the same on others). i'm now wishing i left well enough alone and never bought my roku. i didn't really even have major issues with the fire tv, just kind of wanted something different/new. sad.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

phanguy wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
I would say they have responded, although it appears that the latest build didn't resolve the issues for everyone. It is extremely difficult to fix something that doesn't always appear. They have to be able to replicate the problem before it can be resolved. As one Ultra owner who hasn't experienced these problems, I can't offer to assist via their beta testing program (although I am a participant). If you still have problems, offering to become a beta tester and provide your feedback to the fixes. 

Beta testing for Roku is, from my experience, a near total waste of time. They do not listen to or respond to testers unless the testers report what Roku wants to hear. In my years in the program I never felt that Roku really valued their testers and they rarely even engaged the testers on the beta forum.

I do not think Roku really wants testers unless those testers are willing to only report problems that fit in with Roku's plans or are total show stoppers.

Roku was, and for now still is, the best streamer there is but their software is becoming more and more buggy and they are not taking steps to fix the bugs before moving forward. This poor quality control is causing Roku to be less of the front runner they once were and it is getting closer and closer to the time where some other streamer will overtake Roku in their first position.

I would not waste my time and energy beta testing for Roku but rather the time is better spent finding ways to make what now exists work better and in researching alternatives.

i would disagree about it being the best streamer... i gave my original fire tv to my girlfriend after "upgrading" to the ultra, and since then amazon has released a completely overhauled interface for the fire tv that is just gorgeous relative to the interface i have on the ultra(first roku so not sure if it's the same on others). i'm now wishing i left well enough alone and never bought my roku. i didn't really even have major issues with the fire tv, just kind of wanted something different/new. sad.

The Fire TV is OK but it is nowhere near the Roku in overall experience especially if you use Plex. The Plex developer on the Roku is extremely good (I believe he is the best of all the client developers for Plex) and that is one of the things that makes the Roku better for me.

On the Fire using Plex is poor at best.

As far as the user interface goes I really do not see much good about the Fire because it over showcases "suggestions" and other things that makes me feel that the Fire developers think they know better than I do what I should watch. Roku has some of that as well but it is mostly avoidable on the Roku but the Fire throws it in your face so hard that it feels like a slap by a lady that really means it.

Actually that is what I have always liked about the Roku. It simply presents the apps and other than that it stays out of the way. The streamer should allow the apps to showcase the content not try to do it for the apps like the Fire and the Shield (Which streams the most content without requiring transcoding) both do.

I use Plex, Amazon, MLS, WatchESPN and the NHL apps and the Roku is the only streamer that I have found that allows me to use those and otherwise stays out of the way.

The problem with the Roku is how poor their quality control has become. As I mentioned earlier there is a bug where anamorphic content that is directly playable on the Ultra fails to stretch to fill the screen. That is simply a problem in the software and Roku has known about it for months and they have been given a file that reproduces the problem but not only has it not been fixed but not one post where I have mentioned it, and there has been several, has even been acknowledged by anyone from Roku.

The Plex Roku developer may "fix" it himself by flagging what is really a directly playable file as needing transcoding as transcoding fixes the problem but that should not be needed if the Roku people were performing good quality control. Anamorphic content is quite common and Roku should handle it correctly or the should CLEARLY state that files of that type are incompatible with all Rokus.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

phanguy

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:17 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
phanguy wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

The Fire TV is OK but it is nowhere near the Roku in overall experience especially if you use Plex. The Plex developer on the Roku is extremely good (I believe he is the best of all the client developers for Plex) and that is one of the things that makes the Roku better for me.

On the Fire using Plex is poor at best.

As far as the user interface goes I really do not see much good about the Fire because it over showcases "suggestions" and other things that makes me feel that the Fire developers think they know better than I do what I should watch. Roku has some of that as well but it is mostly avoidable on the Roku but the Fire throws it in your face so hard that it feels like a slap by a lady that really means it.

Actually that is what I have always liked about the Roku. It simply presents the apps and other than that it stays out of the way. The streamer should allow the apps to showcase the content not try to do it for the apps like the Fire and the Shield (Which streams the most content without requiring transcoding) both do.

I use Plex, Amazon, MLS, WatchESPN and the NHL apps and the Roku is the only streamer that I have found that allows me to use those and otherwise stays out of the way.

The problem with the Roku is how poor their quality control has become. As I mentioned earlier there is a bug where anamorphic content that is directly playable on the Ultra fails to stretch to fill the screen. That is simply a problem in the software and Roku has known about it for months and they have been given a file that reproduces the problem but not only has it not been fixed but not one post where I have mentioned it, and there has been several, has even been acknowledged by anyone from Roku.

The Plex Roku developer may "fix" it himself by flagging what is really a directly playable file as needing transcoding as transcoding fixes the problem but that should not be needed if the Roku people were performing good quality control. Anamorphic content is quite common and Roku should handle it correctly or the should CLEARLY state that files of that type are incompatible with all Rokus.

i'd definitely disagree on plex. plex on fire tv was wonderful. the interface for plex is the same on both platforms, but the thing that irks me is how it handles the subtitles since on roku it also puts up a box around subtitles too without an option that i can find to disable it.

mc510

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
The problem with the Roku is how poor their quality control has become.

That's certainly my experience and the sense you get from this forum.  To be fair, I do wonder if the actual effect in the field (e.g., percent of impacted users, severity of impact, etc.) is similar to other devices, and it just seems bad because this forum is where those with problems come.  No idea, just something that I wonder about while carping about how Roku OS updates keep breaking things that previously worked for me, while failing to fix things that have been broken.

Bottom line, quality control is not optional. If quality control is poor, nothing else matters.

netnothing

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:18 pm

Vudu buffering just once

Ever since the 7.6 upgrade, when we watch a movie in Vudu, the movie buffers just once somewhere towards the beginning of the movie. It's not something that happens in the same spot each time....but it seems that any movie we watch, somewhere in the first 5 minutes or so it will buffer and then play perfectly fine. Only started happening after 7.6.

Usually I figure something like this is just a temp network issues, but it seems to happen with every movie we watch.....which to me seems like a very weird pattern. Our Roku is hard wired and we have 200Mbit down. Each time it happens I always speed check a couple of apps on my phone and each time there are no issues. And the movie always plays fine after the initial buffer.

-Kevin

rockou

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:20 am

Got the update to 7.6.4116 last night and everything is still working great. Checked Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Vudu, CNet, Shockwerks and no problems found.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

bargervais

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 am

After the updating yesterday to build 4116, I set the Roku to 4:2:2 i was having no issues to speak of all last night but for the odd audio drop (annoying), and all seemed well. this morning before leaving for work i fired everything up.  I was Pissed the Screen kept dropping the picture to a black screen with no sound, once it settled down and the black screen stopped, the audio drops continued like for every other sentence, then it through in a few pink HDCP screens for good measure. I went and selected the home 5X, down arrow once, left arrow once, up arrow three times changed from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 that solved it for now.
to make a long story short i have had to do this ritual before and it keeps happening. This time i pulled my Receiver out Replaced the HDMI cable to a Brand new one. went in changed it back to 4:2:2 watched some Netflix, then I went into my VUDU library and watched some of I an Legend, not sure if it's a Placebo Effect but all seems fine. the real test will be tonight when i fire everything up, i will know from the start because that's when all this flashing, hiccups with audio drops start until it locks into whatever you call a stable connection???? wish me luck
Oh By the way my Listening Volume has come back down to earth some It doesn't seems as loud.
what gets me is we shouldn't have to go through all this once we are locked into a stable HDMI handshake, you would think it either works or doesn't. 

Deviancy

Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 pm

netnothing wrote:
Vudu buffering just once

Ever since the 7.6 upgrade, when we watch a movie in Vudu, the movie buffers just once somewhere towards the beginning of the movie. It's not something that happens in the same spot each time....but it seems that any movie we watch, somewhere in the first 5 minutes or so it will buffer and then play perfectly fine. Only started happening after 7.6.

In my opinion, the 7.6 firmware was extremely buggy but they paused the update for the 2 and 3 due to issues for awhile.  But now it's back as a manual update but I'm afraid to try it again because it caused HBO Go to be sluggish, and I was getting intermittent flickering screens on the Roku menu and settings screens.  

I'm hard wiring my Roku 2 this week, or attempting to.  I have to run the cat6 across the wall since I can't get under the house and its going to be tricky since I'm going to be relying on adhesive clips.  I'm doing this to avoid buffering so if 7.6 is causing buffering issues, I want nothing to do with it.

rockou

Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:27 pm

No buffering issues here so it's not affecting everyone.

Deviancy

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:08 pm

rockou wrote:

They didn't say what Roku they were using.  I had some really odd issues the last time I used the 7.6 firmware for the 2 and I find it odd that they're now saying 7.6 fixes some of the HDCP issues with the 2, I don't recall anyone ever reporting HDCP issues with it.  Most seemed to have those issues with the 4 and the newer models, if I remember right.

netnothing

Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Deviancy wrote:
rockou wrote:

They didn't say what Roku they were using.  I had some really odd issues the last time I used the 7.6 firmware for the 2 and I find it odd that they're now saying 7.6 fixes some of the HDCP issues with the 2, I don't recall anyone ever reporting HDCP issues with it.  Most seemed to have those issues with the 4 and the newer models, if I remember right.

I was the person with the weird buffering issue.  I on a Roku Ultra -> Yamaha RX-V481 -> Samsung KS9000
Kids were away this weekend so my wife and I watched a ton of movies.  Almost all of them had the weird buffering issue somewhere in the first 5-10 minutes of the movie.  The movie came right back and no further issues.  I wouldn't even think about it if we didn't watch a bunch of movies all at once.
-Kevin

john262

Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:53 pm

I manually installed the 7.6 update today on my Roku 3 and after it rebooted it would no longer connect to my home network either via wifi or Ethernet. The only way to fix it was to do a factory reset, after which it was able to connect again. But now I have to go through the hassle or re-activating the device and then logging back in to the apps that require a password. What a hassle!

rockou

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Just got the newest update about an hour ago 7.6.0 4120-29
All seems to be well again. Hopefully it helped others having a problem.

Eluder

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:55 pm

I got that version too, but still doesn't seem to have fixed the HDMI 2.2 handshake issues I'm experiencing.
It's the only device in my home theater that has this problem and I have a multitude of 4k HDR devices (Xbox One S, PS4 Pro, Chromecast Ultra and 2017 Shield TV). None of them have this strange issue and they are all connected through the same receiver the Roku Ultra is. And to add to that, when my Roku was on the original firmware I got it with, it never had this issue, so it broke in one of the updates that Roku pushed out...