Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gkl
Topic Author

Status of Roku 2 XS, Model 3100X

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:04 am

I have an old Roku 2 XS, Model 3100X which I am no longer using.  Is it still supported?  I'm considering gifting or selling it to someone, but didn't want to bother if it is no longer supported.

Thanks.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Re: Status of Roku 2 XS, Model 3100X

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 am

It is supported. Firmware 7.6 will be available.

vnazario

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:29 am

RokuDale wrote:

Hello RokuDale:
   Thank you so much for this confirmation.  Is the new firmware going to finally fix the sudden reboot, instability issues many of us are having with this model?  This has been an issue discussed many times before on this forum and promises of "a fix on the next firmware update" have been offered for over 2 years now with no resolutions.  I am sorry for my "venting of my frustrations" but truthfully I am quite unhappy about the lack of support for this issue.  So, saying that the 2 XS is still a supported model only means it will get the next firmware version BUT NOT ANY OTHER SUPPORT.
For those suffering from this I recommend:
1.  Disable screen saver
2. Disable menu sounds
3. Don't use MicroSD card
4.  Try to use Ethernet, when possible
5.  Reboot unit before using.  This unit will work OK for awhile after a fresh reboot.  If you do this first, you won't get a sudden unexpected crash/reboot in the middle of watching a show or movie but if you forget, it will probably crash on you in the middle of your enjoyment and it will only upset you more.  At least that is my experience.
6.  If you want an inexpensive "stable" model, my Roku 1/SE models have not given me any problems so although not as fast as other units, they seem to be pretty stable and reliable.  
Hope this information is helpful to Roku 2 XS users experiencing the same issues as I.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:35 am

Remember also that older "unsupported" Rokus still work, and still give you the same picture quality. They just don't get updates or the newer channels. 

gkl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:26 am

RokuDale wrote:

Thanks!
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

atc98092

Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:29 pm

I have one caution about the 2 XS. The YouTube channel has been completely unusable for the last few updates. Perhaps they found the problem, but I don't have a lot of hope for it. The 2 XS is just too underpowered for YouTube. Now, if that channel isn't important for you, the 2 XS will likely still provide acceptable service for you. I am surprised that Roku is supporting such an old player with the latest firmware. But it's good that Roku hasn't abandoned its user base. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

vnazario

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:20 pm

atc98092 wrote:
I have one caution about the 2 XS. The YouTube channel has been completely unusable for the last few updates. Perhaps they found the problem, but I don't have a lot of hope for it. The 2 XS is just too underpowered for YouTube. Now, if that channel isn't important for you, the 2 XS will likely still provide acceptable service for you. I am surprised that Roku is supporting such an old player with the latest firmware. But it's good that Roku hasn't abandoned its user base. 

Hello:
Youtube does not work on my 2 XS units.  It plays videos for about a minute then stops and goes back to home screen.  Will YT be fixed with next firmware update???  Luckily I have MyVideoBuzz to fill the gap.  But I am quite upset about how software "updates" have done more harm than good to my units and when they say "bug fixes" I cringe.  I have little faith that they are looking into bug fixes and issues for the older 2nd generation boxes.  Roku, your QA practices stink.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

atc98092

Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't hold out much hope for YouTube to improve on such an old model. Even newer boxes, such as the my Insignia TV which I only bought a few months ago, doesn't have a terrific YouTube experience. It is slower to respond to button presses, especially FF and rewind. If that new of a model has difficulty with YouTube, I blame Google, not Roku. Google keeps designing their channel for the latest boxes, without regard to how it works on the older boxes. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

vnazario

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 am

atc98092 wrote:
I don't hold out much hope for YouTube to improve on such an old model. Even newer boxes, such as the my Insignia TV which I only bought a few months ago, doesn't have a terrific YouTube experience. It is slower to respond to button presses, especially FF and rewind. If that new of a model has difficulty with YouTube, I blame Google, not Roku. Google keeps designing their channel for the latest boxes, without regard to how it works on the older boxes. 

Hello:
   I blame Google for bloating so much YT.  Youtube is slow on Roku, on my BR players and on my TiVo.  Ironically, YT works well on my Android devices (coincidence, bias,.......hmmm)???
But I do blame Roku as (although slow) YT was working on my 2 XS boxes and since the last FW push 7.5 my YT channel does not work at all.  Everything plays for about a minute and then quits/crashes and goes back to home screen.  So, I am no longer the Roku fan I once was for corrupting my devices and not providing acceptable support,  Pretty disappointed with their very very poor QA and CS practices,  
vnazario

mc510

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:29 pm

vnazario wrote:
But I do blame Roku as (although slow) YT was working on my 2 XS boxes and since the last FW push 7.5 my YT channel does not work at all.  Everything plays for about a minute and then quits/crashes and goes back to home screen.  So, I am no longer the Roku fan I once was for corrupting my devices and not providing acceptable support,  Pretty disappointed with their very very poor QA and CS practices,  

Agree.  YouTube has always been slow and difficult to use on my 2XS, but it never once crashed until 7.5 came along.  In fact, I never had one single application crash or spontaneous restart until 7.5 came along, now it's a daily thing.  That's on Roku.

atc98092

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Nah, my 2 XS was crashing with YouTube well before 7.5 was released. Not with any other channel. That was the main reason I bought a 4. The 4 has been pretty much bullet proof for me, as has my Ultra and Stick..
Dan

vnazario

Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:10 am

vnazario wrote:
RokuDale wrote:

Hello RokuDale:
   Thank you so much for this confirmation.  Is the new firmware going to finally fix the sudden reboot, instability issues many of us are having with this model?  This has been an issue discussed many times before on this forum and promises of "a fix on the next firmware update" have been offered for over 2 years now with no resolutions.  I am sorry for my "venting of my frustrations" but truthfully I am quite unhappy about the lack of support for this issue.  So, saying that the 2 XS is still a supported model only means it will get the next firmware version BUT NOT ANY OTHER SUPPORT.
For those suffering from this I recommend:
1.  Disable screen saver
2. Disable menu sounds
3. Don't use MicroSD card
4.  Try to use Ethernet, when possible
5.  Reboot unit before using.  This unit will work OK for awhile after a fresh reboot.  If you do this first, you won't get a sudden unexpected crash/reboot in the middle of watching a show or movie but if you forget, it will probably crash on you in the middle of your enjoyment and it will only upset you more.  At least that is my experience.
6.  If you want an inexpensive "stable" model, my Roku 1/SE models have not given me any problems so although not as fast as other units, they seem to be pretty stable and reliable.  
Hope this information is helpful to Roku 2 XS users experiencing the same issues as I.

Hello:
   I am sad to report that the stability sudden reboot issues were not corrected with the new FW update.  Anyone else here with 2 XS models can confirm if they are still getting sudden reboots after updating to the new firmware version?  How about Youtube?  Was your YT channel not working before and working now after the update?  Thanks in advance to any Roku 2 XS users that can report here the status of their issues post 7.6 FW update.
vnazario

mc510

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:08 am

vnazario wrote:
Hello:
   I am sad to report that the stability sudden reboot issues were not corrected with the new FW update.  Anyone else here with 2 XS models can confirm if they are still getting sudden reboots after updating to the new firmware version?  How about Youtube?  Was your YT channel not working before and working now after the update?  Thanks in advance to any Roku 2 XS users that can report here the status of their issues post 7.6 FW update.

That's a disappointing report. I haven't yet been able to install 7.6 ("update firmware" on the secret menu offers me the 7.5 that I already have) but was hoping that it would fix the reboot and give me a little more life on my 2 XS.  If the 2XS reboot problem persists with 7.6, then I guess it's time for me to decide whether to roll the dice on a new Roku or make the switch to Fire TV Stick.

RobRoy

Wed May 24, 2017 8:46 am

mc510 wrote:
vnazario wrote:
Hello:

That's a disappointing report. I haven't yet been able to install 7.6 ("update firmware" on the secret menu offers me the 7.5 that I already have) but was hoping that it would fix the reboot and give me a little more life on my 2 XS.  If the 2XS reboot problem persists with 7.6, then I guess it's time for me to decide whether to roll the dice on a new Roku or make the switch to Fire TV Stick.

My Roku 2 XS has also been experiencing the sudden reboots since the v7.6 update especially on the Netflix and STARZ channels. It is very frustrating...
Rob
_
"Life is tough It's even tougher if your stupid" John Wayne
Roku Ultra 4660RW Version: 9.1.0 Build 4919-46 | Prime Video/Music, Netflix, HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, Vudu, Starz, Pandora, ABC, FOX, FX, AMC, NBC, SYFY, TNT, USA, Weather Network.

mc510

Wed May 31, 2017 11:22 am

RobRoy wrote:
mc510 wrote:
vnazario wrote:
Hello:

My Roku 2 XS has also been experiencing the sudden reboots since the v7.6 update especially on the Netflix and STARZ channels. It is very frustrating...
Rob
_

I've now gotten 7.6, and same reboot problems persist.  I guess I can safely conclude at this point that Roku is not going to provide a firmware that provides the degree of stability that I want. I've gotten a lot of use out of my 2 XS, so I can't complain about that. It's time to replace it. Only question is, with what. I am strongly leaning towards Amazon Fire Stick.