Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mc510
Topic Author

7.6 rollout status?

Wed May 03, 2017 6:55 am

Just wondering if Roku can give an update. Is it in phased rollout on all devices, or are some currently paused?  Which devices can get it via forced update?  

(FWIW, my 2 XS has not received it yet, and it doesn't appear on forced update)

Lost In Delaware

Re: 7.6 rollout status?

Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 am

mc510 wrote:
Just wondering if Roku can give an update. Is it in phased rollout on all devices, or are some currently paused?  Which devices can get it via forced update?  

(FWIW, my 2 XS has not received it yet, and it doesn't appear on forced update)

I just got 7.6 about a week ago on my Roku 3...which is one of the units that were originally on the delayed list

atc98092

Wed May 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Roku never seems to give us accurate info about the rollout status, although a few employees do try to help. Since the 3 was the last one I was aware of that was being held up, it would sound like all models should have it available. If your 2 XS doesn't have it, then perhaps there's still more they are researching. I haven't hooked my 2 XS up in months, so can't say if it's a model it is released to. I do remember seeing a Roku employee post that the 2 XS would get 7.6.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

andyross

Wed May 03, 2017 1:27 pm

I think one post did say that later models can update to 7.6, but need to manually trigger it from the System menu. I don't think they have enabled automatic updating yet.

vnazario

Thu May 04, 2017 4:55 am

Hello:

My Roku 2 XS got the newest firmware version.  But don't get too excited about it as the new software does not introduce new features nor it fixes any issues (like the sudden reboot/crash issues) with this model.  So don't worry if you get it later or not at all.  You will see no differences or improvements to what you have now,

Hope this information helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Lost In Delaware

Thu May 04, 2017 6:10 am

vnazario wrote:
Hello:

My Roku 2 XS got the newest firmware version.  But don't get too excited about it as the new software does not introduce new features nor it fixes any issues (like the sudden reboot/crash issues) with this model.  So don't worry if you get it later or not at all.  You will see no differences or improvements to what you have now,

Hope this information helps.

I haven't seen any difference with it running on Roku 3 either.

Schmye Bubbula

Sun May 07, 2017 3:44 am

Lost In Delaware wrote:
I haven't seen any difference with it running on Roku 3 either.

I immediately saw a difference on my Roku 3 4200: In channels with a horizontal row of video icons, when scrolling the icons page-by-page with the remote control's FF or RW buttons, what used to be a rapid display of traversal now is slowed-down as the selection lands on the next page's icon. It's reminiscent of "smart scrolling" in some word processors, designed to make it easier to follow the text flashing by. To me, this new Roku scrolling is an annoying distraction, but I suppose I may get used to it.

But that's purely cosmetic. More serious is, after you play a video in such a channel's row of horizontal video icon choices (or just enter a video's details screen and immediately exit back out to the horizontal list), it often, but not always, loses its place, and you're on the icon of another video elsewhere in the horizontal list, sometimes the one beside the video you were in, other times several icons away. Makes it real hard to remember where you were when you're rapidly browsing the details screens along a row.... Additionally, these screens with rows of video icons now are less responsive, frequently missing or passing over keystrokes. (Sometimes I have to hit a navigation key twice to get it recognized.) It's as if the new user interface eye candy has too much processor overhead to adequately attend capturing all keystrokes.

I wonder what other poorly-tested, broken features will rear their ugly heads over the next few days. I remember when I used to look forward to system updates; now I dread them because they always make things worse!
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

Schmye Bubbula

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:40 am

^ My Roku 3 (4200) was finally able to manually update  to firmware 7.7.0.4094 today (Jul 14, 2017), and all three of the above problems have been fixed. (Back to snappy scrolling, no more forgetting which selection you were just watching, no more missed keystrokes.)

- -
Edit, Jul 15, 2017:
After a full day's more use with the new firmware, I now need to slightly amend my remarks to say that the three problems have been significantly reduced, but not completely eliminated. Still, a big improvement.
Last edited by Schmye Bubbula on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

heartsofwar

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:31 am

My roku Premiere+ just got it yesterday; no idea if it fixes my audio issues... time will tell.