Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Roku Media Player 4.1.1541 released

Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Changes:
Adds ALL as an alternate filter. You no longer need to pick Audio, Video, or Audio to see files.
Improved bookmarks so that bookmarks are retained longer.
Bookmarks work better now when you have multiple USB devices. Make sure your USB devices have different volume labels.
Add .ogg/vorbus audio file support (requires firmware 7.6)
You can now always "restart from beginning" when playing music files.
Minidlna: support for thumbnails of video files added.
Added display of filetype/container info to audio and video springboard screen.
Added photo container info for images.
Firmware 7.6 fixes a .flac streaming problem. however when streaming flac, they can only be started from the beginning.
Fixed .hls file playback from http file server.

playlist .m3u changes:
If extension is not recognized assume .mp3
http entries in a .m3u file that end in "/" trigger the httpfile client module and add that entry as a httpfileserver volume. Only available if your Roku has a usb port though. This httpfileclient is in beta test only. The http-volume is not remembered if you exit Roku Media Player.

This new RMP is available on all firmware versions except 3.1 and earlier.

Rokudale

roninpawn

Re: Roku Media Player 4.1.1541 released

Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 am

There is something wrong with the color profile and dynamic range in this build.

Contrast is crushing any subtle darkness to absolute black, overexposing brightness, and even color is off. I'm in video production and I watch my edited work back almost daily through the Roku Media Player on my Sharp-brand Roku TV so it jumped out at me immediately. I spent a few minutes flipping through the TV's settings wondering if I'd somehow accidentally changed something, but no... It's the app and it's the 1541 build. All other Roku 'channels' are fine.

I would guess a 709 color profile with possibly a change in dynamic range (partial/full) are collectively causing this? Just a shot in the dark there. But whatever it is, the luma values are being crushed to literally unwatchable levels in dark scenes. I'll add that I use a pure red color card at the open of all my edits that appears orange-tinted and slightly muted after today's patch. But with the luma values like this, it's hard to talk color more than to say: it isn't right!

These are H264 .mp4's rendered through Adobe Media Encoder 2017 at 1080p, 60fps, variable bit rate, 20Mbps max/target.
Until this patch, my exports have always come through Media Player with the same contrast and color as my reference monitor. (I'm not imagining it.)

If you need to wait and see if others report the issue before addressing it, is there any way for me to rollback to the last build so I can keep using the app? It's important to me that I be able to review my edits on a consumer television.

Thanks.
P.S: The app definitely seems quicker to respond in the latest build. So good work, there.

rockou

Fri May 05, 2017 1:57 am

My .AVI files work again and also video from iphones or ipads are turned correctly now again (last version had them upside down)
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

mike.s

Fri May 05, 2017 7:53 am

Can we please get sort by date/time? Right now, you can only sort alpha (and reverse), so it can be a lot of scrolling to get to recently added stuff. I'd like to sort so the most recent additions appear first.  RMP obviously knows the file date - it's shown in the bubble when you hover over a file. It's just a matter of adding it as a sort option.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 8:25 am

@roninpawn - the issues you are seeing are firmware related and not RMP app related, please start a new thread and make sure you include roku model and firmware version.
@rockou - those are also likely the result of firmware changes and not specific to RMP
@mike.s - that is still on the request list, sorting by date.

roninpawn

Fri May 05, 2017 11:57 am

RokuDale wrote:
@roninpawn - the issues you are seeing are firmware related and not RMP app related, please start a new thread and make sure you include roku model and firmware version.

Link to new thread: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=101718
Since I'm here, might as well report a long standing bug in RMP's UI. Maybe only a problem on slower responding Roku's... Selecting a folder to open in navigation does not go to the folder highlighted, it goes to the folder that last updated the text-bubble pop-up below the folder. So once a user is familiar with their directory structure and gets fast with navigation on the remote: You can start on the 'Music' folder (for example), left-arrow once to highlight the Videos folder and press okay - quicker than the text bubble updates - (which is about a half-second affair on my Roku TV -- no small delay), and you'll end up in the Music folder instead of the Videos folder that you've highlighted.
Reproducible across all folder structures in the UI below "Media Device" selection.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks for the report. It is a known problem in the firmware that controls the grid screen. It is the firmware that tells RMP what gets selected. I know it's frustrating.
rokudale

Macfitz

Fri May 05, 2017 12:39 pm

I have a Roku TV 5110XTCL Model 40FX3800.  I am using software v 7.5.0 build 4111-08.  Roku Media Player v 4.1.1541.  I am having trouble resuming and fast forwarding through my video files (specifically mkv and mp4 files) as of today.  I have not checked any other file types.  I have these files on a PC on my Homegroup network and have never had a problem before.  Today I tried to start a 2.5 hour movies that I have already watched 1.5 of and I cannot resume where I left off or FF to the proper location.  I know the file does nit have an issue because I have watched the first 1.5 over 4 or 5 sittings.  What's my next move?  Thanks  BTW - I am having the same issue on 2 Roku 4 boxes I have attached to other TVs.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 pm

What dlna server are you running on your PC?

Macfitz

Fri May 05, 2017 4:38 pm

I don't know.  How do I find that out?    I keep videos on 2 PC's and a laptop and I have the same problem with all of them, not being able to resume or FF.  I haven't changed anything in my environment in ages.  They are, all 3 computers, running Windows 10.  I am running a wireless home network, media streaming is turned on for all 3 machines. 

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 5:05 pm

It is probably Windows Media Player/Center then.
If you go into the detail screen of one of the videos you are trying to play, there is some new information on the bottom of the screen now. Can you post that information here?
thanks

Macfitz

Fri May 05, 2017 7:28 pm

VND.DLNA.MPEG-TTS 720x576   along with the length of time and date of file.  I think time and date were already there.  I have not found any if my files to not have the same VND description

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Fri May 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for the additional information, the vnd... tells me that the video is being transcoded. These can't be ff''ed or resumed. However if you were able to do this before the new RMP then the same thing that is causing the another users playback quality problem. RMP seems to not be picking the best playback link from the several that WMP sends to RMP. A bug has been filed. This issue wasn't found in the beta testing going on since January. We can always use more people in the RMP beta test program, Please send a pm to rokudale
Dale Luck
Roku Engineering

Macfitz

Sat May 06, 2017 4:44 am

By the way, I have also found that the videos won't play longer than 10 or 15 minutes either, they stop, and since they can't be resumed the player is basically useless to me now,  When I found the player on the Roku TV I bought the other 2 Roku boxes,  I don't really utilize the other channels much.  Basically, everything I want to watch, being a filmed lecture to watch again later, a business presentation I filmed or an old home movie we have converted will be transcoded, is that not true?  So I won't be able to use this again for a while?

rockou

Sat May 06, 2017 4:54 am

RokuDale wrote:
@rockou - those are also likely the result of firmware changes and not specific to RMP

The issues I reported as fixed were due to the new media player. I was watching videos with it last weekend and the issues were there, not anymore after the new media player.
Last firmware update I received was on April 27th to 7.6.0 4120-29 which was before last weekend.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI