Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

flamebird
Topic Author

Hulu Live TV- Guess What?

Thu May 04, 2017 11:28 pm

Hulu Live TV is apparently up and running; though it seems to be in Beta and guess what it doesn't run on?

Roku.

Not gonna lie; I'm disappointed, but not even surprised anymore.

Doesn't look like a great package for the price, anyway; but I'd have liked to at least try the free week to see how it runs.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Hulu Live TV- Guess What?

Fri May 05, 2017 4:09 am

It also doesn't run on Fire TV or on your browser. They, like Roku, are listed in "coming soon."

And that 7-day promo? They'll still have that. They'll always have that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

gkl

Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am

While I'm always happy to see new and better streaming services, there is no way I'll be subscribing to this. The reason why I'm happy to see it is that as more folks cut the cord, more content becomes available, including a lot of new free content. I mean legal content.  I pay for less streaming now than I did a year ago.

So, while I certainly hope Hulu Live comes soon to Roku, it will only impact me indirectly. 
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

mikeyts

Fri May 05, 2017 3:35 pm

I suspect that it requires their "New Hulu Experience" UI which just came to my Xbox One S.  According to Hulu's site, the new UI is only available on iOS and Android phones and tablets, 4th gen Apple TV, Xbox One and Chromecast.  It's shown as coming soon to Fire TV, Roku, Samsung TVs and BDPs and the website player.

The only local (San Diego) channels that are on board are the Fox and NBC affiliates; I'm guessing that they're both network owned and operated.  It's $44/month for Hulu-no-ads w/Live TV, including 50 hours of cloud DVR; $15/more gets you 200 hours of cloud DVR with the ability to skip ads in recordings.  I don't know if that means that you can't FF over ads without the extra $15 or if it gives you a TiVo-SkipMode-like skip-entire-ad-break button.

I'm more intrigued by YouTube TV which has unlimited cloud DVR for less.  Unfortunately it's only available in a handful of the largest markets.

beq

Fri May 05, 2017 7:41 pm

It does seem that Live TV is linked to the New Experience UI in terms of the roll out.  I thought Hulu plans to update their existing apps, but strangely on the iPhone/iPad they released a dedicated app (so there are separate Hulu and Hulu-with-Live-TV iOS apps).  It's strange because on the Apple TV, the existing app has been updated to the new one so there aren't two separate apps.

Anyways, it's too bad that the Roku app was never updated to support multiple profiles, which was already available on other Hulu platforms even under the old UI.  So now Roku waits to get everything all in one upgrade (6 profiles, new UI, live TV, multiple streams, etc).  Though methinks the revamped Hulu UI will bring a lot of complaints from Roku users, just in this forum alone.  Let's just say.. it takes getting used to on the TV.

P.S.  Which one will Roku get first, DirecTV Now or new Hulu?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Fri May 05, 2017 8:26 pm

beq wrote:
... Anyways, it's too bad that the Roku app was never updated to support multiple profiles, which was already available on other Hulu platforms even under the old UI.

Actually, the current Apple TV did NOT support profiles on Hulu until this week's update that added Live TV and the new UI. The 3rd generation Apple TV did support profiles, though. Odd, that.
beq wrote:
So now Roku waits to get everything all in one upgrade (6 profiles, new UI, live TV, multiple streams, etc).  Though methinks the revamped Hulu UI will bring a lot of complaints from Roku users, just in this forum alone. Let's just say.. it takes getting used to on the TV.

I certainly don't like it. I've played with it on my iPad and on my Apple TV, and I don't like it. I do like the idea of a single UI across all platforms, but the UI just isn't my cup of tea.
beq wrote:
P.S.  Which one will Roku get first, DirecTV Now or new Hulu?
I'm gonna say the new Hulu. When Live/UI launched, it wasn't on Chromecast. Within two days, it was. Of course, now that I've said new Hulu, it'll be DirecTV.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

mikeyts

Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 am

Not a fan of the new UI.  On my Xbox One S it took away access to their 4K content :roll:.  It's also kind of slow.  Thankfully, it's only on my Xbox One.

beq

Sat May 06, 2017 2:51 pm

Basil wrote:
I certainly don't like it. I've played with it on my iPad and on my Apple TV, and I don't like it. I do like the idea of a single UI across all platforms, but the UI just isn't my cup of tea.

Curious if Hulu's genuinely catering to the mainstream live viewer, or if the UI direction was dictated by content owner bosses.  Like if the owners wanted to retain traditional viewers on their lucrative cable carriage arrangements, and leave Hulu Live to target cord-cutting millenials who don't care about the grid channel guide, etc.

Reminds me of YouTube TV which is laser-focused on the mobile user experience (we'll see what UI they come up with if/when they do roll out native TV/set-top apps).

Basil wrote:
Of course, now that I've said new Hulu, it'll be DirecTV.

Hope so, been waiting to use DTV Now since we started sub under the Go Big promo last year :)  My parents only used to Roku, for example.  Whereas we're undecided on Hulu Live TV due to the UI and high price with addons ($64 I think).  Still have Sling & USTVNow due to grandfathered pricing as well (but may drop the latter).  Also had SFN TV Now before they pulled the plug, surprisingly still working.  Didn't continue PS Vue due to the streaming player home network restriction.  YouTube TV moot due to availability...

Elijah_Baley

Sat May 06, 2017 3:14 pm

I wasted my free trial. I am at fault for not researching which devices were supported before activating my trial BUT it simply never occurred to me that there was not a way to stream from Windows or Linux. Not one of my many streaming devices I own were supported either. Sometimes I cannot lower my expectations to the level of stupidity presented by various companies.

In this case Hulu really screwed the pooch and I would guess lost many more potential subscribers than they gained by failing in the supported devices at launch category. 

I STRONGLY doubt I will ever add back their overpriced service even when they support one or more of the large number of devices I own. The value I see in Hulu's new offering is so low that investing in cockroach farms seems better advised.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mphare

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Since I also have an Apple TV 4, I am trying out Hulu Live TV. I am also trying out Sling TV, which I prepaid 3 months and got a Roku Premiere + for half price. Nice.
Any way, Hulu Live TV has a few things above Sling TV.
  1. In my area, I get more live local channels. Sling give me NBC, Hulu gives me NBC, FOX, and CBS. Hulu also give me ABC On Demand; Sling does not.
  2. Hulu's cloud DVR is better than Slings. For example, if I record the evening news so I can time shift it, Sling records the one instance, Hulu sets up a 'season pass' kind of thing and records them each night. If I'm missing something with Sling's DVR, please let me know.
  3. Access to Hulu's catalog
That said, I prefer Sling over Hulu.
The live programming on Sling provides more channels than Hulu. For example, the Hallmark channels are available on Sling, but not Hulu.
The UI for Sling is easier for me to navigate, perhaps because it has a familiar feel to it coming from FIOS. 
If Sling provided access to local CBS and FOX channels and upped their DVR, there would be no need for Hulu, especially since I have way more Rokus than Apple TVs.

The cost is about the same since I have both Sling Blue and Orange and have DVR and Lifestyle channels (Hallmark, et. al.)

Right now I use both; Sling for live tv and Hulu for DVR tv. Even with that I'm still saving a bunch over FIOS.

I expect one to eventually win out over the other. Maybe after I play with Sling more I'll figure out the DVR does the season pass thing. The other live locals are another factor.
Roku XS, XD, 2 x Premiere+
Also, Apple TV 3 and 4
Chromecast
Amazon Fire Stick

Darnell

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:47 pm

As mentioned already, the Roku, Fire TV and other support is coming.  The service is presently in Beta, so the current support should not be considered final.

Actually, the pricing is not that bad.  If you're already a Hulu customer.  Because the Live TV service bundles the regular old Hulu with the Live TV service.  So someone who would pay for the Live TV + Hulu no commercial plan would pay $43.99/month.  Considering the old Hulu no commercial plan is $11.99/month, it's like paying just $32/Month for TV Service and still paying $11.99/month for the old no commercial plan.  Also, if you get both the Enhanced DVR (bumps 50 hours of DVR up to 200 hours) and the Unlimited Screens (bumps 2 streams up to unlimited at home and 3 away), you get a $10 discount on that bundle, so about $20 instead of $30.

When you factor in old Hulu cost, it's not such a bad deal.  In fact, if PlayStation Vue does not start airing my local Fox Sports affiliates in my area by the time Hulu Live TV has Fire TV support.  I most likely will switch to Hulu Live TV.  It will be a couple bucks cheaper per month than PS Vue, when considering the old Hulu service expense separately.  Includes my local Fox Sports affiliates and I could watch Live TV on the go from a single app.  Only reason I would stick with PlayStation Vue after Hulu gets Fire TV support, if Vue gets my local Fox Sports affiliates, is that Vue has NBA TV.  But if it comes down to a cord cut provider with NBA TV vs one with my local Fox Sports affiliates, I'll take the latter.  Since I would get all the Hawks and Grizzlies games in my area and that's way more total games than I'd get from NBA TV in a season.  I'm already going to get NBA League Pass, so replays on NBA TV are not needed, but League Pass does not air local games or NBA TV games.  I'm willing to live with NBA TV for my local games.

Depending on your needs and if you were already going to pay for the old Hulu service anyway, adding Hulu Live TV will be a worthy addition.

Darnell

Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Probably coming to Roku very soon, because: Hulu’s New Live TV Beta Comes to The Fire TV

Just signed up today.  Using Chromecast till the Fire TV app updates.

Darnell

Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:10 am

Been using it on my Fire TV since last night. I am enjoying it. And with unlimited streams in the home and 3 outside. I don't have to worry about being nagged about using too many streams.

jrijr

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 am

I live far enough away from Indianapolis that I cannot access the big networks - NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. I have two Rokus in my home, and currently subscribe to Sling TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

My question with Hulu Live TV is - would I get my local stations through it?  If I could get Indianapolis news and sports, I would be thrilled.  But if it is a national "generic" broadcast I would be less inclined.   

I know it's all still in Beta, but any thoughts are appreciated!
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

Darnell

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am

jrijr wrote:
I live far enough away from Indianapolis that I cannot access the big networks - NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. I have two Rokus in my home, and currently subscribe to Sling TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime. 

My question with Hulu Live TV is - would I get my local stations through it?  If I could get Indianapolis news and sports, I would be thrilled.  But if it is a national "generic" broadcast I would be less inclined.   

I know it's all still in Beta, but any thoughts are appreciated!

Start the sign up process and you will be shown the stations you will get.
I get my local CBS affiliate and local Fox Sports affiliates, so I finally see local games.  Which I never had with Playstation Vue.  I don't have live Fox, ABC or NBC, just on-demand for those.
But if you start the sign up process, you can see what you will get.  And if you don't like what you see, you can just stop going through the process at that point.  Also, they offer a 7 day free trial, so you could even fully sign up and see how you like it.