Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Stream_Heavy03
Topic Author

unable to cycle channel server

Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:04 am

I am new to this forum but have been using roku for over 2 yrs. I have a roku 3. In the past i have been able to cycle the channel server using the secret menu Home 5x, ff3xs, rev 2xs. But it will not allow me to change it now. I recently updated the software. Has this been a problem for anyone else?

jenuz

Re: unable to cycle channel server

Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 am

I'm having the same problem with my Roku 2 4210x, and would love to know of a workaround / fix so I can keep 'Classic Hulu' Channel 4.9.
The channel store server is stuck on api.roku.com and I would like to change it to api.qa-uat.roku
Firmware 7.7.0 build 4135-04
Version: 047.70E04135A
Build Date: 20170818

atc98092

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:09 am

You have to remember that the "secret" menus are unsupported functions and could be changed/disabled at any time. My guess is this is something that Roku disabled as they don't feel it's necessary any longer, or perhaps there no longer are multiple servers available. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

jenuz

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 am

atc98092 wrote:
You have to remember that the "secret" menus are unsupported functions and could be changed/disabled at any time. My guess is this is something that Roku disabled as they don't feel it's necessary any longer, or perhaps there no longer are multiple servers available. 

Thanks, but I'm not trying to cycle to a different server, api.qa-uat.roku blocks the channels from communicating with the server and updating to a newer channel.
The Roku platform is more about customer choice than a proprietary closed system like Amazon and Apples iTunes,  and the 'secret menus' further enhance this.
For clarification, Roku owners should understand that these features are at-your-own-risk.

atc98092

Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:35 pm

jenuz wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

Thanks, but I'm not trying to cycle to a different server, api.qa-uat.roku blocks the channels from communicating with the server and updating to a newer channel.
The Roku platform is more about customer choice than a proprietary closed system like Amazon and Apples iTunes,  and the 'secret menus' further enhance this.
For clarification, Roku owners should understand that these features are at-your-own-risk.

You say you are not trying to cycle to a different server, but you want to change to a different server. Same thing :lol: . But my answer still stands. Roku most likely either disabled the cycling or no longer offers the server you are attempting to change to. If that server is offline, it likely won't show in the list. And yes, Roku has always stated that the secret menus are not for general use and are unsupported.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

dfgsrzwer

Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:53 am

Also, not allowing apps to update may help in the short-run, but eventually will cause problems. That's why disabling firmware updates is a bad idea as well.

Grand Total

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:40 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
Also, not allowing apps to update may help in the short-run, but eventually will cause problems. That's why disabling firmware updates is a bad idea as well.

Clearly you have never suffered having your Roku device rendered unusable by a firmware update. When this happens and your device is unusable for months then you may have a little sympathy for the original poster. 
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

jenuz

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:56 am

atc98092 wrote:
jenuz wrote:
atc98092 wrote:

You say you are not trying to cycle to a different server, but you want to change to a different server. Same thing :lol: . But my answer still stands. Roku most likely either disabled the cycling or no longer offers the server you are attempting to change to. If that server is offline, it likely won't show in the list. And yes, Roku has always stated that the secret menus are not for general use and are unsupported.

api.qa-uat.roku is cycling to a non server not a different server.

jenuz

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:

It most likely would be short term.  At some point Hulu will pull there head out, but until then Classic Hulu is worth the block.
If the 4210 is upgraded, then like many customers, I'll just cancel.

With Roku IPO doing so well, would love to see the Roku Channel evolve into an entry level $X/mo terrarium tv clone.

It would take time to build quality content but with 14 million customers, at least they have something to work with.

dfgsrzwer

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

Grand Total wrote:
dfgsrzwer wrote:

Clearly you have never suffered having your Roku device rendered unusable by a firmware update. When this happens and your device is unusable for months then you may have a little sympathy for the original poster. 

It has nothing to do with emotion. Not updating is going to screw you in the long run. Guaranteed.