Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

twiceover
Topic Author

TCL Roku TV No DD via optical when set to "Auto"

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:56 pm

So I'm finally getting 5.1 working I ran optical out from the TCL to a Pioneer receiver.  When the Roku audio is set to "Auto" I only get 2-channel.  If I set it specific to DD, DD+ then I get DD (using Vudu or Plex for testing).

Is this a "thing" and I just have to leave it that way, or is there any hope of getting "auto" to actually auto?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Re: TCL Roku TV No DD via optical when set to "Auto"

Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:30 am

The optical connection is unidirectional. Unless the AVR is connected to the TV using HDMI, there is no mechanism to determine the audio capabilities. That is why we provide the ARC/SPDIF manual settings so that you can tell us what the AVR can do. Leave the Audio Mode set to Auto though and then the Roku will automatically select the type of audio to send out optical based on what you have set in the ARC/SPDIF setting.

twiceover
Topic Author

Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks Dale. The reason I'm not using ARC (is hooked up and compliant) is that you can't then run the TV speakers when the receiver is on. So effectively if I want to use my PS4 the audio has to come out of the stereo or not at all. Which is fine by me, but not my family, at night.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 pm

If you turn off System Audio Control (volume control) and leave ARC enabled, ARC should still be active. Depending on the AVR, it may Mute itself though. Use the volume control of the AVR to try to adjust the volume and take it out of Mute.

mrecom

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:07 am

RokuDale wrote:
The optical connection is unidirectional. Unless the AVR is connected to the TV using HDMI, there is no mechanism to determine the audio capabilities. That is why we provide the ARC/SPDIF manual settings so that you can tell us what the AVR can do. Leave the Audio Mode set to Auto though and then the Roku will automatically select the type of audio to send out optical based on what you have set in the ARC/SPDIF setting.

Is this still possible with TCL 6 Series?
I'm having similar issue where it is always stereo. My setup is 65R615 to Onkyo TXSR605 via optical. Not utilizing ARC as receiver doesn't support ARC; however my receiver is connected to HDMI 1 port.

The problem I'm having is that the TCL is always sending stereo output even though I have it set to Auto and should be sending 5.1 for specific media am testing.

Any recommendations?

twiceover
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 am

Auto will only send stereo. Set your SPDIF output. To DD not DD+

mrecom

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 am

twiceover wrote:

Okay. But if I set to that and then play music via Plex that should be stereo, will TV output stereo to receiver?

apodtele

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 am

mrecom wrote:
twiceover wrote:
Auto will only send stereo.  Set your SPDIF output. To DD not DD+

Okay. But if I set to that and then play music via Plex that should be stereo, will TV output stereo to receiver?

If you tried, you would not need to ask, would you?

twiceover
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:57 am

mrecom wrote:
twiceover wrote:

There should be an option that also includes stereo. It will be fine. That's how mine is set up with no issues.

mrecom

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:05 am

twiceover wrote:
mrecom wrote:
twiceover wrote:

There should be an option that also includes stereo. It will be fine. That's how mine is set up with no issues.

Thanks! I'll try later when I'm near the devices.

mrecom

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:35 am

That worked! Thanks