Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

frank0478
Topic Author

Problem screen mirroring

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:05 am

I've tried to mirror my laptop wireless to my roku 3. I can connect well, but once connected it automatically connects and then my laptop blacks out. 
On my TV it says "starting video from ... [device name]" and it freezes. 
Since my laptop screen is black, I can't do anything. I have to exit the screen mirroring. 

I'm not sure how to solve this. Any tips? Thanks!

robrog8999

Re: Problem screen mirroring

Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 am

Below, I listed directions concerning your issue with the black screen thing. As far as the freezing goes, I am not sure. (Before You Go On...)

You can change, modify and play-around with Display Settings from the Notification Panel. 
This is where you can change the settings for why your lap top screen is blacking out. Follow these steps in order to change these options:
1)Connect your laptop to your Roku the way you normally do.
2)Once connected, use your TV (which I assume is what your using for the Roku?) to navigate;
3)Click on your notification setting & click 'All Settings"
4)You should be seeing the 'Display' panel
5)Scroll down to MULTIPLE DISPLAYS 
6)Under the Multiple Displays section, and underneath multiple displays is a drop-down bar.
7)Here is where you change all of that. Click on 'Duplicate These Displays'
And BOOM, you should be able to see both screens on your TV & PC.

So hopefully this was able to solve your minor issue.
As far as the freezing goes, I am not sure. I would have that same problem in the past with my Tablet though. I never had issues connecting my PC to my Roku/TV but hopefully your able to solve the issue now that you can actually see what is going on!
“Surely I have contemplated the things of God.”
Joseph Smith Jr.

yanny

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:39 pm

I have the same problem.  My Roku Express+ 3910 is connected to a TV with the HDMI cable.  My LG (Android 7) phone's screen mirroring screen (Wifi Direct under Advanced Wifi)  says it found and is connected to the Roku Express+ 3910.  I have gone to Wifi Networks on my phone where the Roku connection is listed, and entered the network connection password.

But my TV stays frozen on the "starting video from ... [device name]" screen with progress on the progress bar stuck about 1/5 of the way.  Stop Video and Options are also displayed on the frozen screen.  The Roku either stays frozen on this screen or after a long wait automatically returns to the Roku home screen.  Or I can press the home button to return to the Roku home screen.  My phone screen does not black out like the above computer.   If I check the Roku Systems menu, Screen Mirroring > Screen Mirroring Devices, it shows my phone listed (always allowed). 

Any suggestions?

rstorms27

Sun May 26, 2019 3:50 pm

I'm having the exact same issue. It says, starting video from loads about half way and it just hangs there.

vickie

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:22 pm

I encountered same issue with exact same error.

arunciks

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:33 am

Hi,

In my case, Roku Ultra stopped doing screen mirroring after the beginning of June update. I think it is Roku issue, since mirroring stopped working not just from Windows 10 computers, but also from Android phone. I even had tested with one of the Windows systems fresh install to older Windows 7 version. 
It seems that the mirroring is initiated, but times out. In Windows and Android case, the Roku player flashes and brings the recent history of pairing/mirror devices...

It was very helpful to mirror without any wires, and it was either hit or miss through Roku devices, but if this is the way Roku devs are going and braking nice features then it is time to find/consider some other device.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:58 pm

Check if your device even does Miracast. You need Windows 8 or higher. Someone mentioned Windows 7 on here. Doesn't work with Miracast. Most Google built devices like Nexus or Pixels only support Chromecast.
1) Whether or not you want to use Roku wired or wirelessly, put on Wireless Network and remember if you put it on the 5 GHz band or the 2.4.
2) Put your PC or phone on same wireless as the Roku.
3) Cast your device onto Roku.
4) After successful connection, if you prefer Roku wired, put back on Wired connection setting (Roku's Wireless band will be listening on whatever it was connected to last).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

arunciks

Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:12 pm

Everything worked fine till about two or three weeks ago. The connections gets established but then doesn't seem to handshake. Once the mirroring is initiated the Roku starts rokucast and only brings  "View recent history screen". Win 10 with most recent updates, Android. They used to work fine with the same Roku. All devices on the same Wiifi network/band. Roku connections been reset as well.

StreamerUserDude

Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:03 am

FWIW, Screen Mirroring is working/has worked on my Roku devices (3800/3810 - SS/SS+) on OS 9.1, all builds (4095/4111) for all Android devices (several different manufacturers/several different Android versions) without issue.

I recommend disabling/enabling WiFi on your Android devices if its having problems connecting, and if that doesn't work, switch mirroring to "never allow" on the Roku and reboot, and back to "prompt"/"always allow" (make sure none of your devices is in the blocked list).

Almost always, disabling/enabling WiFi on the Android device fixes WiFiDirect/Miracast issues whenever there is a (rare) connection issue.

kzmbj0

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:20 pm

I am in exactly the same boat as yanny. 
I have two Roku's. One is updated to a recent version and the other one is not, although this might not be the issue. The old one still screen mirrors just fine. The new one asks for permission to connect, appears to start loading the screen mirroring, and then goes straight to the "View recent history" page and the casting device indicates it has dropped out.

I have tried connecting with my windows 10 laptop and my Samsung Note 9. Both work on the old roku but not on my new one. It is very frustrating. 
I'd appreciate any advice on this. 

StreamerUserDude

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:19 am

Both my Rokus (SS/SS+  models 3800/3810) updated to 9.1.0 Build 4919 in the last couple of weeks.

SS is connected to the 2.4Ghz WLAN, SS+ is connected to the 5Ghz WLAN.

Tested them again with all my Screen Mirroring/Miracast capable Android devices, different manufacturers/models/OS versions - all connected fine as per before.

All devices have been able to connect to all versions of Roku OS (8.x, 9.x) since purchase, and aside from occasional rare minor connectivity issues (almost always resolved as described above), there have been no issues mirroring.