Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beecee42

Re: Is Roku pulling out of the UK?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi
Tried your advice, uninstalled unplugged the ROKU then booted it up, then reinstalled. No joy -;)
Anyway thanks for the thought.
BC

Nebo1ss

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Nebo1ss wrote:
Actually Iplayer now works on the ROKU 4 since the last release. It is probably more of an accident than a deliberate fix since BBC news and other apps still do not work. Also it does not work on the ULTRA. I have both the 4 and the ULTRA in use in the UK and other than the BBC apps it works. There is a new software release presently being rolled out 7.7 which I have not seen yet but hope it might make a difference.

`just to update this post I have updated both my ROKU 4 and ROKU Ultra to the latest 7.7 firmware and the situation on the support of UK apps remain the same the 4 still support Iplayer with no problem and the Ultra is not supporting Iplayer.  The other BBC apps like sport and news do not work on either device.

bdpopeye

Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Nebo1ss wrote:
Nebo1ss wrote:
Actually Iplayer now works on the ROKU 4 since the last release. It is probably more of an accident than a deliberate fix since BBC news and other apps still do not work. Also it does not work on the ULTRA. I have both the 4 and the ULTRA in use in the UK and other than the BBC apps it works. There is a new software release presently being rolled out 7.7 which I have not seen yet but hope it might make a difference.

`just to update this post I have updated both my ROKU 4 and ROKU Ultra to the latest 7.7 firmware and the situation on the support of UK apps remain the same the 4 still support Iplayer with no problem and the Ultra is not supporting Iplayer.  The other BBC apps like sport and news do not work on either device.

Try XTV for UK channels.. it is 100% free....it is a private channel with lots of content. The UK channels are under LIVE TV. there are THIRTY-SIX of them...no foolin.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/xtv

the upload code is... xtviptv

Nebo1ss

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:28 am

bdpopeye wrote:
Nebo1ss wrote:
Nebo1ss wrote:

Try XTV for UK channels.. it is 100% free....it is a private channel with lots of content. The UK channels are under LIVE TV. there are THIRTY-SIX of them...no foolin.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/xtv

the upload code is... xtviptv

Fully aware of I  XTV and use it everyday to watch US tv. I would never consider using it for UK TV because I live in he UK.  Iplayer is about catchup TV. and while its not on he ROKU I also have it on my Smart TV and Nvidia Shield and you can watch it on PLEX on the ROKU but thanks for the suggestion.

beecee42

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Really odd just I noticed there is a BBC SPORT streaming channel so I wondered, would it work?
So downloaded, installed it and and yes it works!!
Now I am a loss to conclude 'whats happening'.
BC

AndyCalling
Topic Author

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm

Hmm, perhaps Auntie is taking charge despite Murdoch? If the grey imports now have the same channels in the UK as the old model UK devices, I'm interested again.

startreksteve

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:01 am

I got a Fire Tv and its wonderful, all the apps are fast and easy, not like my Roku 3 which needs a reboot to keep channels working or I get the 'cant run due to insufficient storage' error.
I sideloaded Kodi, so all my needs are met. Haven't used the Roku for a month. Shame it was great when I first got it, but it hasn't moved with the times.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

Nebo1ss

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:30 pm

BBC Player is now working on the ROKU ULTRA. It seems to have been fixed by the latest ROKU update on 3rd August since the BBC app is still dated 26th April. It starting working on the ROKU 4 some months ago and now its Gold on the Ultra.

garglo

Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:02 pm

The Roku ULTRA has been working fine with the BBC iPlayer for a month now.  Just today 28 Sep17 all of a sudden there is a splash screen which says "Sorry we do not support your device.  Please see the following page for other ways to access BBC iPlayer: http;//iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/ways_to_get_iplayer   "   There you are ROKU 4K not supported by BBC but ITV,Ch4,5 etc all work fine.  Roku 3 still works with the BBC iPlayer.  Has "NOW" (Roku OEM) put the breaks on all new ROKU boxes for good??

Rich_T

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:44 am

None of the recent Roku players made it to the UK, from the Roku 3 with voice search onwards, grey imports will not worj with the BBC iplayer, and if they do then they may stop working at anytime.

If you can still find Roku hardware for sale, it mostly appears to be down as clearance in order to shift stock, It would be a safe bet to say that if Roku do not release any new hardware then its pretty much the end for Roku in the UK, and then the question is for how much longer will the likes of the BBC support a rapidly aging hardware platform, similar things have happened before, how long before this starts appearing on UK Rokus, its already started on soe Samsung devices/smart TV's ( with a different end date)

Rich_T

Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:33 pm

Want to buy a Roku stick in the UK? the where to buy section on Rokus uk website shows it out of stock/unavailable at all the retailers linked to, and the other roku devies are either unavailable or on clearance.
 this means that soon you will no longer be able to buy a Roku Stick (purple), Roku 2 or Roku 3, so once the stock is sold out thats it no more Roku, unless they actually pull their finger out and relase something.
 Odds on that its a Now Tv box, or nothing

Rich_T

Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:20 am

Just been out to the shops and all stores that stock Roku have nothing left, and will not be getting any replacement stock.
they also know nothing of the new roku players, as they are not showing on their systems.

The big unanswered question, is of Roku services are no longer available, how long until we are left with paperweights that no longer work with uk services?
Is it time to sell off and dispose of Roku devices, and replace them with other streaming services and devices such as Amazons fire tv?

one for rokushawn to answer perhaps?

Rich_T

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:47 pm

And in a complete surprise, the answer to the question: "Is Roku pulling out of the UK?" has been answered - and the answer is no, two new players have just been announced  will post a new thread