Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

AndyCalling
Topic Author

Is Roku pulling out of the UK?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I'm asking this because my current Roku stick is showing its age with the newer apps and software etc. and is pretty sluggish to use now. I would like to buy the newer Roku Stick 3600r or even the new Roku 4 but I'm not interested in a grey market import because UK essentials such as BBC iPlayer are not compatible with such US imports. There are alternatives from other companies that now easily outpace the old style Roku stick, but I am a Roku fan and would very much prefer to stick with your superior products and remain loyal to a great brand.

So, should I hang on and wait for a UK release of the current gen of Roku products or is it time to sadly move on? Do you have a release date yet? Please let your UK user base know as we are customers too and have money waiting for you to take but we can't stand the silence or wait and keep the flame alive for ever with no upgrade path.

Looking forward to getting in on your wazzo new product range, but if this is the end for Roku in the UK then thanks for the ride. It's been a blast, and a genuine pleasure.

startreksteve

Re: Is Roku pulling out of the UK?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:21 am

I've thought this for a while... I'm thinking of getting an Amazon fire TV.
I think Rupert Murdoch (who has a lot of shares in Roku) is blocking any new models being released in the UK as they will compete with Sky.

Steve
Last edited by startreksteve on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

Nebo1ss

Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 am

Actually Iplayer now works on the ROKU 4 since the last release. It is probably more of an accident than a deliberate fix since BBC news and other apps still do not work. Also it does not work on the ULTRA. I have both the 4 and the ULTRA in use in the UK and other than the BBC apps it works. There is a new software release presently being rolled out 7.7 which I have not seen yet but hope it might make a difference.

AndyCalling
Topic Author

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am

Whilst this is interesting news, I can't justify an investment of a three figure sum for a grey market import that may not work with basic services going forward. Even if it works for now. It would be nice to hear from Roku themselves if they have an issue with Sky forcing them to pull out of the UK market so we could make proper decisions (and lodge the appropriate complaints with the authorities if anti-competitive behaviour from that nice Mr Murdoch is behind this). This silence is hard to understand or work with for loyal Roku customers.

Any comment, Roku support gurus?

startreksteve

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:23 am

AndyCalling wrote:
Whilst this is interesting news, I can't justify an investment of a three figure sum for a grey market import that may not work with basic services going forward. Even if it works for now. It would be nice to hear from Roku themselves if they have an issue with Sky forcing them to pull out of the UK market so we could make proper decisions (and lodge the appropriate complaints with the authorities if anti-competitive behaviour from that nice Mr Murdoch is behind this). This silence is hard to understand or work with for loyal Roku customers.

Any comment, Roku support gurus?
I already asked Shawn about this, I got a very guarded reply..
I dont ,think Roku will make a comment about this
Steve

Rich_T

Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:59 am

Roku is certainly on its last legs, whilst other innovate and keep up, Roku is still peddling old hardware that is at least three generations behind.
In the USA they have had:

Roku 3 with voice search, replaced the old Roku 3 with no voice search still sold as the top model in the UK

Roku 4, this bought 4K streaming, despite 4K TVs being on sale for quite some time, Roku are still selling old stock Purple roku Stick, Roku 2 and Roku 3 and none of it supports 4K streaming

New Black Roku stick with 'faster processor' - Roku UK are still pushing the purple stick, which lags beyond belief and due to the severe lag can be unusable at times as you wait an eternity for apps/channels to load The Purple Roku stick is in direct competition to Amazons Fire TV stick with Alexa which is being heavily plugged by amazon, with advertising online, in print, in the media and everywhere else, as for Roku? er, whats that again?

Roku Express/Express+, premier, etc not a chance, its Roku stick, 2, 3 or nothing.

If you are reading this and you are in the UK, and thinking of buying a Roku device (stick/2/3) Do not buy, avoid Roku and purchase Amazons Fire TV.  There is every chance that as time goes on certain Key apps/channels will stop working on old hardware, just as they do with Smart TVs, long term access to key apps such as BBC  IPlayer can not be guaranteed, this has already happened to some set top boxes and smart TV's that supported Iplayer and no longer have access.
Other than dumping old hardware on the UK, Roku no longer appears to support the UK market.
 Roku UKs facebook page has been cleansed of any visitor posts and roku makes no comments on its support/commitment to the UK market

[size=150][size=100]Until Roku offers any clarity on whats happening - avoid rokus in the UK and buy another device such as amazons Fire TV[/size][/size]

As for what has happened,  a similar thing happened to Tivo in the UK, when it launched it was an innovative DVR, however Tivo had an agreement with Sky.
 Sky had a competitor device, Sky + so that was pretty much it for Tivo.
 I get the feeling a similar thing is happening again, this time with Sky/Now Tv and Roku.

Roku has been pretty much left in the dust with the likes of Chromecast, Now TV, amazons Fire TV, and Kodi taking over which is a shame as Roku once made some great products.

paul67

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 am

I thought Virgin Media used Tivo, or is it only recently they started using this

I dont see the link between Sky & Tivo and why they would block it, if they did block it how come virgin are using it 

Rich_T

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am

Virgin media started using Tivo in 2010, you can read an article on it here: http://www.techradar.com/news/television/tivo-sky-partnership-caused-uk-flop-674341
extracvts/opening form that below
TiVo: Sky partnership caused UK flop

TiVo has pointed the finger firmly at its ill-fated relationship with Sky as the reason for its failure to break into the UK market, but is confident that the same mistakes will be avoided in its forthcoming collaboration with Virgin Media.

Speaking to TechRadar at the launch of TiVo's new set-top boxes in New York, Vice President and General Manager Joshua Danovitz explained that the reason TiVo withdrew from the UK in 2003 was down to the creation of Sky+ rather than any lack of enthusiasm from the nation for personal video recorders.

http://www.techradar.com/news/televisio ... lop-674341

paul67

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks for the info

Will have a read through the link

Rich_T

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am

The Roku stick is currently out of stock/no longer stocked on most major retailers, online they are reporting

Argos: out of Stock
Currys available in a few stores only, pick up in store
Maplin - last few available

Also the UK Roku facebook page has been cleansed of 'visitor posts' with the last post being May 20th.
 most of the replys to posts put up by Roku are also going un answered, as Roku are in full ignore mode - just like this topic on here.

The Question is:
 with the Exception of Now TV branded hardware, does Roku have any plans to remain in the UK market and replace/update the current line up of Roku players that are available for sale, the Roku 2 and Roku 3?

and a side question, why Roku 2 and Roku 3? it just seems a bit of an odd ball situation starting your range at 2 and finishing it at 3
anyone from Roku care to comments

Rich_T

Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:38 am

And still no response form anyone from Roku.

Does Roku have any plans at all to release any new hardware in the UK market?

The answer would be
:A:Yes, we plan to release something new in the not to distant future, keep an eye on the website for news

Or  B:No, we have teamed up with Sky to further develop Now TV for the latest Roku hardware please purchase a Now TV box ( with its hobbled firmware and no netflix/amazon or anything else that may compete with Sky etc)

The Silence and From Roku pretty much sums it up, and the conclusion to be drawn is that the answer is in B, that apart from Now TV Roku doesnt give a stuff, and that support for the currently available Roku units on sale, the Roku 2 and Roku 3 can not be guaranteed especially with key apps such as the BBC iPlayer - for which an update in the future may break compatibility with Roku 2 and 3

Rich_T

Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:12 am

And still no comment from Roku

startreksteve

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm

No, either in Forum posts or PM's

I guess they've been told to keep tight lipped..

beecee42

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Hi
Just joined the forum.
Thought I'd check and see any mention of this issue as I'd closed down the two RTs I whilst away.
Booted up to find that everything worked but the iPlayer and since I'm a license payer it can't be that end.
I did the usual, delete then reinstalled to no avail! Had these for four years & they are great as my TVs do not have USB connection and yes they one is a CRT 36" Trinitron but gives a great pic.
If I have to replace then Revo then will not be my choice, after all I'm sure they must get some rebate from of the Streaming Channels so why not continue the support.
CRM is the name of the game, after all Honda still supports my 16 year Accord, and when I replace something that where's my money goes - quality or am I missing something?  D'oh! -:)
Cheers BC

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:30 pm

There should be a reboot between the removal of an app and the reinstallation of the app. Not saying that will fix the issue, just that a reinstallation isn't correctly done unless there's a reboot in-between.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)