Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

sstoller
Topic Author

Does FW 7.7 Fix Roku Ultra Audio Issues?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 am

I purchased a Roku Ultra on Saturday and immediately began experiencing the well-known audio issues. I talked to a Roku Streaming Professional this morning regarding the clicking, popping, chirping, and short bursts of static that I am experiencing with my Roku Ultra with FW 7.6. She seemed pretty confident (of course she couldn't tell me for sure) that this update should fix the issues that I am experiencing. According to the developer blog for FW 7.7, Roku Developer Blog:
  • Addressed multiple bugs that caused audio, visual and/or crashing issues across a number of streaming channels.

Of course my issue now is that I cannot wait until the end of August for my Roku to update to 7.7 to see if this really fixes my issues and still be able to return the Roku to the retailer. Given Roku's track record with this issue, it seems unlikely that they have actually fixed the issue. Is there anyone here who has a Roku Ultra and has updated to 7.7 that can confirm whether 7.7 fixes the clicks/pops/chirps issue? Does anyone here know of a way to force my Roku Ultra to update to 7.7 sooner than the end of August? Thanks in advance!

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Does FW 7.7 Fix Roku Ultra Audio Issues?

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:44 am

I don't believe they've started rolling it out to public, yet. Private Beta testers are under NDA.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

venious

Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:36 pm

The announcement was vague, and probably shouldn't have been announced if it was still only in beta testing. I'd assume it was vague on purpose, to help introduce hope. :-)

I'm in the same boat, though. My Roku is going back this week, and maybe I'll buy it again this fall and try again.

sstoller
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:25 pm

Hmmm. That is an interesting bit of information. The Roku Streaming Professional that I talked to this morning acted like 7.7 had been released in the wild and that my Roku Ultra could update at any time (between now and the end of August). Perhaps she wasn't quite correct. She did keep trying to dodge my very direct questions of whether update 7.7 fixed the audio chirping/clicking/popping issues.

I'm right there with you Venious, my Roku Ultra will be going back as well. I will wait until this issue is definitely resolved (if ever, at this rate), or a newer model is released that works properly. For now I am back to using my Roku3 (which I am quite happy with). It's a shame that the biggest selling point of the Ultra is the reason that everybody is returning it.

Just a side-note, but I did notice that the Roku Ultra is marginally quicker than my Roku3. Not enough of a difference to bother me though.

sandra58

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:32 pm

According to one user on the thread link posted below,  first post at top of the page states  7.7 does not fix the popping and chirping issue.  I haven't received the 7.7 update on my Ultra yet.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=98931&p=563111#p563111

Elijah_Baley

Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:54 pm

I do not have the popping or other audio issues that are being reported but I do have problems with my Ultra that do not exist with my Roku 3.

Unfortunately I believed Roku early on when they stated that things were going to get fixed in an update (at least two updates ago) and I did not return my Ultra so I am now pretty much stuck with it,

It is possible that the reason I do not have the audio problems that others are reporting is that I do not use any of the "advanced" audio options that others use. My setup is stereo only therefore it uses Dolby 2.1 for the audio and that is working well for me.

Roku has become, like many other companies, extremely secretive. They hide behind silence even when just being open would serve. While they do not often lie outright they do withhold info and give incomplete information when they wish. 

Personally I feel I was lied to when I asked about the problems I was having right after I purchased my Ultra and Roku told me that they would be fixed. That lie encouraged me to keep the Ultra past its return date so I am stuck with it.

I hope the new firmware does fix at least some of the problems but I actually have little hope. 

I do have to say that my Ultra has gone for nearly unusable to pretty much usable but it is still far from as stable and reliable as my Roku 3. Maybe after four or five more updates the Ultra will actually be a great product but Roku seems incapable of producing the level of quality they did in the past so I doubt it will ever reach the great level.

My dog seems to know when I am using my Ultra instead of my 3 and he hides in the bedroom. He thinks I blame him for my mistake getting the Ultra and he avoids me when I might exhibit the anger that using the Ultra sometimes produces. Of course I do not blame him and he gets extra cuddles and treats to sooth his mood. Maybe that is why he is acting that way, just for the extras. As I have said elsewhere: "I have been outsmarted my my canine companion before." "Dogs are better and smarter people than most people anyway."
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:30 pm

Elijah_Baley, it seems that every time the Ultra is mentioned, you post a rant like this which has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.  This thread is about whether 7.7 fixes a specific audio problem.  You do not have that audio problem, and you do not have 7.7, so your post is entirely off topic for this thread.  If you want to rant again about the Ultra, please post it in an appropriate thread or start a new thread, but don't pollute threads with off topic posts.  Thank you.

--Mark

Elijah_Baley

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:03 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:
Elijah_Baley, it seems that every time the Ultra is mentioned, you post a rant like this which has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.  This thread is about whether 7.7 fixes a specific audio problem.  You do not have that audio problem, and you do not have 7.7, so your post is entirely off topic for this thread.  If you want to rant again about the Ultra, please post it in an appropriate thread or start a new thread, but don't pollute threads with off topic posts.  Thank you.

--Mark

I am terribly sorry you do not like my posts and take offense at it, but I do not really care at all. Roku lied to me about this and they have taken no action at all that I can see. You need customers more than I need you so if you don't like my behavior then ban me. I REALLY don't care.

I have been a pretty strong Roku supporter but that has now changed and I really do not appreciate your public chastisement. It shows that, possibly, I have hit a nerve and it is the behavior I would expect of a bully looking for revenge after being humiliated on the playground.

I also believe you, like all bullies, do not have the guts to just let this stand so I am totally prepared for this comment to get deleted and a banning to take place. Again I do not care.

In just a few years Roku has regressed from a first rate company to one of the greedy and they show no signs of progressing at all.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Buzzsaw

Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Well Mark.....(RokuMarkn)
I have a ROKU Ultra... I have had frequent pops, chirps and dropouts since you guys introduced them in the January firmware update.
I am now past the return date and have been waiting patiently for 6 months for ROKU to fix the issue you introduced.
The chirps are extremely loud and sometimes sound like a low battery warning on a smoke detector...can't be good for my tweeters....
This is the first time I have seen a post regarding this issue on months..
we have been ignored.... by you , Dale and every other ROKU person that monitors these forums on this particular issue....You guys post on other less serious issues instead.
Your customer service people are clueless..."have you replaced your cables?" .."did you try rebooting your Ultra"
"ummm..we will call you back..."

Now that you are done with your little rant...are you going to answer the question????
Does the 7.7 firmware update fix the audio issues or not?????

Well...I'm waiting...
Roku Ultra
Samsung UN65JS8500 (4K/HDR)
DirecTV HR54-500
Yamaha RX-A770 Aventage AVR

Room 2:
Sony KD43X720E
ROKU 4
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR

sandra58

Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:
I have a ROKU Ultra... I have had frequent pops, chirps and dropouts since you guys introduced them in the January firmware update.
I am now past the return date and have been waiting patiently for 6 months for ROKU to fix the issue you introduced.
The chirps are extremely loud and sometimes sound like a low battery warning on a smoke detector...can't be good for my tweeters....
we have been ignored.... by you , Dale and every other ROKU person that monitors these forums on this particular issue....You guys post on other less serious issues instead.
Your customer service people are clueless..."have you replaced your cables?" .."did you try rebooting your Ultra"

Now that you are done with your little rant...are you going to answer the question????

Well...I'm waiting...

Hi Buzz,
I understand your frustration after months of audio issues.  I have two Ultra's and until earlier today I was only able to use one of my Ultras and it has not updated to 7.7 yet.  However, I performed some troubleshooting steps to see if I could get my other Ultra working again.  It had gone to a green negative-like screen a few months ago after setting it to the "HDR 4K Display Setting".  Then a black screen.  Today I unplugged my TV from its power source and plugged it back in and the video came back up on this box.  I was able to get it back to the 4K Display Setting.  I discovered also the box updated to the 7.7 firmware.  I've watched three movies on this box today.  Two in DD+ and one with Dolby Atmos.  I have heard NO popping or chirps from any of these movies as I viewed them.  Of which previously I did with the 7.6 firmware.  Especially Kong Skull Island when I streamed it from VUDU/w UHD and ATMOS.  So far,  the popping and chirping seems to be resolved on this box.  I am using a brand new MU Series UHD Samsung TV, with a high-end Yamaha A/V Receiver.  Connected to Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.  All seems good.  Will report on my other ULTRA once it updates to the new firmware.  I'm happy to report this for the ROKU Engineers.  I do however suggest communicating with your customers on the forum more often.  Even if you don't know anything.  I know it isn't easy, especially if you're understaffed.  I have to communicate with customers every day.  Not easy but a must in this type of business.

Ted68

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Mark (RokuMarkn) : I am in complete agreement with both Elijah and Buzzsaw.  Odd that you can take the time and effort to be confrontational with Elijah, but cannot take a moment to address the question, does fw 7.7 fix the ultra's continuing audio issues.  I too suffer from the aural iniquities your fw introduced to my ultra, including loud high pitched pops, audio dropouts, and so on. Job like, I've waited for Roku to publicly, or even privately, to not just address the issue, but fix it once and for all.  The continued silence from Roku and forums like this one bespeak a profound indifference to those who have purchased the ultra and are experiencing problems not of their own making, but of Roku itself.  We deserve timely and honest answers to our questions regarding this issue. Like Buzzsaw, am awaiting your response.

sstoller
Topic Author

Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:49 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:

--Mark

Hi Mark, Thank you for getting us back on track. I really would appreciate if you could help answer my original questions (since you appear to be affiliated in some way with Roku, you should have some expert insight). Does 7.7 definitively fix the audio chirps/pops/skips issue on the Ultra? Is there any way to force my Ultra to upgrade to 7.7 without waiting until the end of August?

rockou

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:42 am

Good to hear it helped solve someone's audio popping issue.
Sandra did you try putting it in 4k HDR mode? I had a problem with one of the firmware releases where I had to go into the secret menu and put the Roku in 12 bit color for me to be able to set it to 4k HDR mode. If I left it on 10 bit with 4k HDR enabled then the screen would be a green mess. Weird since my Samsung only supports 10 bit.
Anyways after the next firmware update it allowed me to then go back to 10 bit or 12 bit, both worked fine with 4k HDR.

Secret menu can be accessed by pressing HOME HOME HOME HOME HOME DOWN LEFT UP UP UP  whatever it shows on the screen is what you are in (4:2:0 is 10 bit and 4:2:2 is 12 bit)
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

netnothing

Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:41 am

sandra58 wrote:
Buzzsaw wrote:

Well...I'm waiting...

Hi Buzz,
I understand your frustration after months of audio issues.  I have two Ultra's and until earlier today I was only able to use one of my Ultras and it has not updated to 7.7 yet.  However, I performed some troubleshooting steps to see if I could get my other Ultra working again.  It had gone to a green negative-like screen a few months ago after setting it to the "HDR 4K Display Setting".  Then a black screen.  Today I unplugged my TV from its power source and plugged it back in and the video came back up on this box.  I was able to get it back to the 4K Display Setting.  I discovered also the box updated to the 7.7 firmware.  I've watched three movies on this box today.  Two in DD+ and one with Dolby Atmos.  I have heard NO popping or chirps from any of these movies as I viewed them.  Of which previously I did with the 7.6 firmware.  Especially Kong Skull Island when I streamed it from VUDU/w UHD and ATMOS.  So far,  the popping and chirping seems to be resolved on this box.  I am using a brand new MU Series UHD Samsung TV, with a high-end Yamaha A/V Receiver.  Connected to Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.  All seems good.  Will report on my other ULTRA once it updates to the new firmware.  I'm happy to report this for the ROKU Engineers.  I do however suggest communicating with your customers on the forum more often.  Even if you don't know anything.  I know it isn't easy, especially if you're understaffed.  I have to communicate with customers every day.  Not easy but a must in this type of business.

Sandra,

Happy that you have solved your audio issues. Can you post what build you are running? My experience thus far has not been like yours.

-Kevin

Brianmagby

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 am

Well, RokuShawnS has shut the other thread about audio chirps, pops, and other defects down for "Name Calling". The only name calling I saw beeing done was by Roku beta-testers, I.E. Roku representatives. I guess that's one way to "Fix the problem". Kill the thread so people can't report or comment that the Roku has a problem. Seem's like Roku has resorted to North Korean like tactics, "your not allowed to talk about it". Of course I'll be blocked now, I apologize to all the Roku users who are having audio problems like myself, if they close this thread now to. I'm going to contact the Roku corporate office and make sure they are aware of what is going on and how their customers are being treated. Hopefully Firmware 7.7 fixes the audio defects, because the response's and tactics I've seen on varies threads from Roku Representatives has not been very professional or helpful.