Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jp1

Re: Does FW 7.7 Fix Roku Ultra Audio Issues?

Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:49 am

Seems to have cleared up the audio issue on my Ultra. That's a first impression as I haven't really been off work long enough to verify personally, but between a few hours of watching and my wife's input....things are looking up.

Remote does still lock up though, this is a much less annoying flaw, still it would be great to see it resolved.

TheAirWolf

Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:04 am

I watched Spawn and Outcast on Netflix and didn't get a single click or pop.  I had watched about 25% of Spawn before I stopped because of the clicking and popping on 7.6 but watched the rest of it on 7.7 and NO pops or clicks. I think this is a good sign.  I'll have to watch more in order to be sure. 

I wonder if I can get time off work to test Netflix on my Roku Ultra.  I need Roku to write me a doctor's note.   :D

Chucko

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:59 am

Chucko wrote:
Hey everyone.  After getting the same run around with my Roku Ultra, I was able to get my credit card company to reverse the charge.  Since I initiated the email exchange with Roku customer service before the 30 day return was up, and they failed MISERABLY to fix the problem, my CC company gave me my money back and took it from them.  I implore anyone else in my position to do the same.  On a bigger scale, this is looking like a class action for any decent firm.  Hey Roku, this is going to bite you in the butt sooner or later, and I will feel some satisfaction when it does since all I wanted was a functional unit to watch some darn TV with.  You had one job.  One.  

Well isn't it swell that 7.7 fixes it.  I just emailed the person I Ebay'd this POS to (with full disclosure about the problem).  Figured they might as well get good customer service from the person who sold it to them.  But I will never consider ROKU again, and actively dissuade anyone I can from buying one.  I know, most of you will quickly forget all this now that it's fixed.  That's exactly what they and companies like them are betting on, and unfortunately it's a virtually sure bet.  And that's why we will continue to see this kind of behavior from these companies.  So if you do retcon this problem and down the line experience a similarly frustrating problem, take it up with the mirror, as you're complicit.  Sorry to sound all judgmental, but having been complicit in this crap in the past lets me tell it like it is.  
Last edited by Chucko on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

blackbird13

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am

My Ultra updated to 7.7 build 4094-29 yesterday and after several hours using Netflix, Amazon, HBOGo, Filmstruck, and Pandora, the chirps and pops seem to no longer occur. I AM having more freezes and restarts, but I think all but one of these has happened on the Filmstruck app, so maybe it's specific to that service (which I won't be keeping past the next month anyway).  Other than that, my only complaint with the Ultra is that the Amazon Music streaming service isn't available. 

home_theatre_man

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:25 am

I've spent around six hours watching Netflix and so far no audio dropouts/pops on the Dolby EAC-3 bitstream to AVR.  I was also getting them with Amazon and VUDU, but I haven't had cause to watch anything from either of those since the update.

Aside: Red Lightning artifact is NOT resolved by 7.7.
Last edited by home_theatre_man on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Friskyville

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am

I received FW 7.7 yesterday on my Roku Ultra, and the audio dropout issue is worse than with FW 7.6. I had no issues with FW 7.5. It seems like an HDCP handshaking issue to me.

If I leave the Roku in 12-bit 4:2:2 color mode, I have no issues on initial boot. If I switch to another HDMI input and switch back to the Roku, or if I turn the TV off and come back a few outs later,  the Roku has audio dropouts and vsync issues. Occasionally, an HDCP 2.2 warning screen pops up. Rebooting the Roku fixes the issue until I toggle inputs on the TV again. Also, going into the hidden video menu (5x home, down, left, 3x up), and toggling between 4:2:0 and back to 4:2:2 fixes the issue until I switch TV inputs and back to the Roku. If I leave the Roku in 4:2:0 mode, I don't have a problem. I've used the same cable with an Oppo UDP-203 4K blu-ray player with 12-bit color output and have no issue.

Configuration: Panasonic CX850 TV.
HDMI-1 -> Roku Ultra.
HDMI-2 (HDMI-ARC) -> Denon AVR-E400 -> (Denon HDMI-3 -> Xbox 360, Denon HDMI-5 -> HTPC with Pulse-eight CEC adapter).
HDMI-3 -> Oppo UDP-203 (Audio is connected to the Denon over HDMI via the 2nd HDMI output on the blu-ray player).

This looks like an HDCP 2.2 handshaking issue on the Roku Ultra after the input has been toggled. Toggling video modes or rebooting on the Roku seems to temporarily fix the handshaking issue. I'm leaving it in 4:2:0 mode for now, but I would like to see this fixed. I am happy to help debug or beta test firmware.

starl1te

Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am

I don't know about the various OTHER audio issues (snaps cracks and whatever), but the DTS issue has not been fixed by 7.7 on the Ultra. All DTS sources are out of sync - via Plex, USB stick, Emby, everything. The only solution is to disable DTS in the Roku HDMI/SPDIF  settings, forcing Plex to transcode DTS to AC3 (and making USB useless since no sound will play at all).

My setup uses Roku Ultra with an optical cable to a receiver. and there is absolutely no way to passthrough DTS without it being badly out of sync.

Pathetic Roku. it's been half a year now since you acknowledged that this is a firmware issue cause by one of your updates.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 pm

If anyone has gone to the secret screen and altered the hdr,420,420 settings, when a new release comes out, it is best to restore those settings to the default. Roku tests using the default conditions and user changing the settings in the secret screens are not guaranteed to work from one firmware release to the next.

rockou

Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:13 am

The problem is, what is the default for the 4:2:0/4:2:2 screen?
Some have said theirs were 4:2:2 originally but on mine it was 4:2:0 the first time I went into the screen.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

interconnect

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 am

starl1te wrote:
I don't know about the various OTHER audio issues (snaps cracks and whatever), but the DTS issue has not been fixed by 7.7 on the Ultra. All DTS sources are out of sync - via Plex, USB stick, Emby, everything. The only solution is to disable DTS in the Roku HDMI/SPDIF  settings, forcing Plex to transcode DTS to AC3 (and making USB useless since no sound will play at all).

My setup uses Roku Ultra with an optical cable to a receiver. and there is absolutely no way to passthrough DTS without it being badly out of sync.

Pathetic Roku. it's been half a year now since you acknowledged that this is a firmware issue cause by one of your updates.

I have this same exact issue and worked around it the same exact way. 7.7 did not fix it at all for me. Actually, it seems to be even worse. The delay in sync on DTS audio tracks is off by at least 1-2 seconds, maybe more. It is definitely not the source material either. Every single movie I have with a DTS audio track has this issue, and they all play perfectly in other players.
Last edited by interconnect on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kkozma

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am

Do you guys even test this stuff?  I can't believe with all the screaming about audio issues that it's still a problem.

Not only are the cracks and pops NOT gone for me on 7.7, but it's introduced a new issue where the audio is extremely loud and causes everything to distort and sound like poorly compressed music files.  My setup is Roku ultra HDMI -> Pioneer VSX-1020K AVR -> 1080p LG Television

If you'd actually listen to the vocal majority here and provide us with the option for pure untouched audio pass-through, this would NOT be an issue for those of us connecting through an AVR.  Everything shows up as Doubly Digital Plus regardless of the source format and settings (unless I don't select D+), so the Roku is obviously messing with the audio in some manner.  This happens with all of my streaming services as well as files played from my local network through Plex.

Why fixing this isn't a top priority is beyond me.

atc98092

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:48 pm

rockou wrote:
The problem is, what is the default for the 4:2:0/4:2:2 screen?
Some have said theirs were 4:2:2 originally but on mine it was 4:2:0 the first time I went into the screen.

The earlier firmware versions did have 4:2:2 as default, but if yours was on 4:2:0 then perhaps they've changed it. Since there are no 12 bit color consumer displays, and many brands do not process 12 bit color adequately (Samsung, I'm talking to you), changing the defailt to 10 bit color makes sense. Really should have been that at the beginning.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

rockou

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:41 am

The first firmware they enabled the secret screen to change color was 7.5.1 b4085. That's the first time I went into that screen and it was set at 4:2:0 already. 
Here is where it was announced and I posted right after they announced it.
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 41#p547241
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI