Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

MikeFromMesa
Topic Author

Re: Roku with Sony 4K TV

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:06 pm

atc98092 wrote:
With Samsung sets, there have been reports of picture issues with the HDMI set to UHD color with HD only devices connected. I haven't noticed it, but that could be a reason for them to have the ports set to off by default.

Sounds right. I suppose the sales people might think that turning the functionality off is a better solution than fixing it.
Last edited by MikeFromMesa on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuzzy

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:15 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
make sure your sony apps hdr adjustment is same as the roku input as they can be differant

How do you adjust HDR for the built-in apps? I did not see anything like that when I looked through the apps. I saw no adjustments other than things like closed captioning.

when watching apps on the sony tv go to action menu, picture adjustments in hdr setting make changes. sony has different settings for the apps, ota channels and others(roku)
sony xbr65x850c tv, TX-RZ810 ONKYO rec., HDMI to REC., roku ultra and roku3 both wired,technicolor c2000t modem, 20 mbs dsl

MikeFromMesa
Topic Author

Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm

fuzzy wrote:
when watching apps on the sony tv go to action menu, picture adjustments in hdr setting make changes. sony has different settings for the apps, ota channels and others(roku)

Interesting. I did not know that. I assumed that when you made an adjustment in the Action Menu controls it was for all display formats on the TV.

rockou

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:02 am

My Samsung TV is the same way. You can set each input on different modes (movie/standard/ etc.) and you can also change the picture settings for each mode and it can be different for each input. For example, I could have the Roku on HDMI 1 set on movie mode with a brightness level of 45 and then have my Directv DVR on HDMI 2 set on movie mode with a brightness level of 50.
When HDR kicks in it gives an even different set of picture settings that I can change and save.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

sunilr

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 am

I have an xbr85x850d with a ROKU 4 so no HDR. Iron Fist for example using the TV Netflix app is in HDR and the colours look great, but so much grain. Using the Roku app and the colours not so bright but a lot less grain for a better picture in my opinion. Though watching Planet Earth 2 in HDR is just absolutely awesome.

fuzzy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:05 am

sunilr wrote:
I have an xbr85x850d with a ROKU 4 so no HDR. Iron Fist for example using the TV Netflix app is in HDR and the colours look great, but so much grain. Using the Roku app and the colours not so bright but a lot less grain for a better picture in my opinion. Though watching Planet Earth 2 in HDR is just absolutely awesome.

where did you watch Plant Earth 2 in HDR?
sony xbr65x850c tv, TX-RZ810 ONKYO rec., HDMI to REC., roku ultra and roku3 both wired,technicolor c2000t modem, 20 mbs dsl

MikeFromMesa
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:05 pm

fuzzy wrote:
sunilr wrote:

where did you watch Plant Earth 2 in HDR?

Where can you find Planet Earth 2? All I can find is Planet Earth (1).

fuzzy

Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:57 pm

I recorded planet earth 2 4k version on dishnetwork :D

nicknack

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:18 am

Hi All

Thanks everybody for the above posts.

My recently upgraded Roku (v9) streaming stick+ is plugged into HDMI 2 on my new Sony 4K 65X90 Android tv

I noticed that the Roku was detecting the display as 4K HDR 30hz HDCP 2.2  after changing the External Inputs to Enhanced HDMI it now says 4K HDR 60hz HDCP 2.2.

Just need to see if i notice the difference ;)

Any other top tips I should know about for TV or Roku ?

Nick

Jordan2Lesnar

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 pm

MikeFromMesa wrote:
Tajson wrote:
Just throwing it out there, on my 4k tv all the HDMI ports had HDR turned off by default and needed to be turned on for the Roku box and so on.

It turns out that that was also my problem with this new Sony. The default setting is to have all HDMI ports set to 4K UHD HDR at 30fps only and the Roku was expecting 4K UHD HDR at 60 fps. Without that the Roku would not function properly when the display was set to 4K UHD HDR, but would at 4K UHD. I found the issue discussed on one of the Sony forums and one of the posts explained how to turn the HDR 60 fps setting on. This sort of thing makes me wonder why a company like Sony would set its "Enhanced" HDMI setting off on a high end 4K TV when I would think they should expect that users would want both the 4K UHD and the HDR functionality to work.

One interesting thing is that I sent an email to the company that sold me the HDMI cables (through Amazon) and they responded immediately with an offer to refund my purchase even though the sale was well past the normal 30 day window. I have since responded to them explaining that the problem was not due to the cables, but to the default setting on the TV, but I was particularly impressed by their willingness to stand behind their product. You don't see that much anymore.

As an aside, I have now tried the built-in apps on the Sony and compared them to the output from the Roku and found that I prefer the Roku. My Premiere+ works and that is more than I can say for some of the apps built into the Sony. I spent some time this morning listening to one of the Indiana Jones movies using the Amazon app on the Sony. Listening because the picture would not display. I had the closed caption dialog displaying and I could see the frames if I "fast forwarded", but only a black screen (and sound) when I played it normally. I think I will stay with the Roku. Even the 1080p streams look amazingly good on the 4K TV and the Roku upscaling is so good that I am not sure that there is much real advantage in streaming in 4K rather than using the upscaling.

Sorry if I sound like a shill. I am just very happy with the picture on this new TV.

Why bother with both the Roku when I have the installed streaming apps?

DBDukes

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:23 pm

Jordan2Lesnar wrote:
. . .
Why bother with both the Roku when I have the installed streaming apps?

Correct. But now a question for you: exactly why are you here?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

rmassung

Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello all,

I purchased both the 65X850F and a roku ultra and I have to admit, I think the streaming apps give me better color. 

The only thing I haven't tried yet was to force HDR on the Sony, and to change cables. I just can not get a good vibrant color on non-4k streaming apps. 4k looks fabulous. Now, the streaming apps I believe output at 1080p and do not upscale. I am not sure how to check if it is.

I could be wrong, however I think the always upscaling ultra might be the color problem always streaming at 4k. And as always it could be the TV. I have been though numerous calibrations and just cannot get the same color decoding from the ultra as I can the streaming android apps.

Thanks for any replies.

rmassung

Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 pm

rmassung wrote:
Hello all,

I purchased both the 65X850F and a roku ultra and I have to admit, I think the streaming apps give me better color. 

The only thing I haven't tried yet was to force HDR on the Sony, and to change cables. I just can not get a good vibrant color on non-4k streaming apps. 4k looks fabulous. Now, the streaming apps I believe output at 1080p and do not upscale. I am not sure how to check if it is.

I could be wrong, however I think the always upscaling ultra might be the color problem always streaming at 4k. And as always it could be the TV. I have been though numerous calibrations and just cannot get the same color decoding from the ultra as I can the streaming android apps.

Thanks for any replies.

UPDATE: Installed new HDMI cable from Amazon and colors pop, motion is smooth, and everything looks as good if not better than the internal Android Apps.