Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omnia711
Visitor

Feature Request: 50Hz Support for UK/Europe Users on Roku Streaming Devices

Hi

In the UK we have a service called "Now TV" which runs on Roku 3 boxes with modified firmware (

http://www.nowtv.com/tv-box

).

Recently they provided a firmware update which switched the boxes from 60Hz output to 50Hz (we use 50Hz in Europe). This has greatly improved the picture quality which previously suffered very noticeable judder particularly on live sport due to the difference in refresh rates.

As Now TV have successfully implemented 50Hz on Roku hardware via a firmware update, would it be possible for this to be introduced on the standard Roku boxes? It would substantially improve picture quality for Roku users in the UK/Europe. Additionally most rival sticks/boxes like Chromecast and Amazon Fire provide a 50Hz mode as an optional setting.

The NowTV boxes are locked down and don't allow access to rival streaming services e.g. Amazon and Netflix, so other than supporting 50Hz they are not a good alternative to a standard Roku box.

Many thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
andyM
Visitor

Re: 50Hz for UK/Europe users?

I second this excellent suggestion! I'm in the UK and I've just bought my first ever roku - a roku 2, and the judder is horrible. Makes for a very unpleasant viewing experience. I would like clarification from roku please on whether they intend to fix this issue by rolling out 50Hz support? Or should I just return my roku and get something which actually supports UK television standards?
0 Kudos
Rich_T
Roku Guru

Or should I just return my roku and get something which actually supports UK television standards?

Some people can spot the flickering, some people cant ( maybe its a combination of TV+Roku?)

However i would recomned returning your Roku and buying another non Roku device, if you do not want Now TV then get a refund for the Roku unit and buy an amazon fire TV, as Roku havent released any new hardware in the UK for a few years - instead offloading old hardware and support ( in terms of hardware releases) is dead, which brings into question weather or not apps such as BBC iPlayer will continue to work on old outdated hardware.
0 Kudos
omnia711
Visitor

Apologies for bumping but i'm disappointed to see the new Roku products in the UK (Express/Streaming Stick+) still don't offer any support for 50Hz. As a result UK viewers have to put up with juddering on everything watched via Roku.

All rival hardware (Amazon Fire, Apple TV, Chromecast etc) support 50Hz, along with the Roku powered Now TV boxes. Is there any reason as to why it can't be implemented on Roku's own hardware? 
0 Kudos
2pints
Roku Guru

Another vote for 50Hz, the new Stick+has a refresh rate option, although even that is not right
0 Kudos
leeboy22001
Visitor

The Roku streaming stick plus has an advanced display menu (under system settings), choose output native rate, job done !, will output 24p, 25p etc... depending on what your playing, even works using Netflix etc..You can also choose 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 output.
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Roku Guru

"leeboy22001" wrote:
The Roku streaming stick plus has an advanced display menu (under system settings), choose output native rate, job done !, will output 24p, 25p etc... depending on what your playing, even works using Netflix etc..You can also choose 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 output.

Nope, job not done. Unfortunately the Streaming Stick+ does not support 50Hz at 1080p (though I hear it does at 4K). This means at 1080p with native output rate on TVs that can't output 25Hz for programmes that need it (mine can, but many can't) will run at 60Hz instead of 50Hz and everything that should run at 50Hz runs at 60Hz for everyone. So, unless we're playing US content (at 30Hz or 60Hz) or films (at 24Hz) we have a whole lot of mess in the UK (and EU).

We're almost there. All they need to do is enable 50Hz at 1080p and new sticks going forward will have this problem sorted.
0 Kudos
Ninko
Binge Watcher

Hi,
I'm in the UK and have the same problem.
Is there any updates regarding this issue?
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Just to confirm... these are U.K. or E.U. devices, and not imported U.S. devices?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Ninko
Binge Watcher

Mine is a UK device.
0 Kudos