Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dachay2tnr

Re: Feature Requests - Third Quarter 2017

Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 am

+1 for a sleep timer.  Need a way to cut data usage while falling asleep while watching.  Something as simple as a delay for the Home button would work.  15 or even 30 minute increments is acceptable.

Clayton Moore

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:23 pm

steveh11284 wrote:
Not sure if there's a way, but it would be great to tie provider authentications (Cable, Netflix, etc) to a Roku account so that we wouldn't have to authenticate on each device. My family isn't technically savvy so having to reautheticate on multiple Roku devices becomes an occasional headache. It would be nice to do it once and it work on all devices that is tied to my Roku account until it's time to reauthenticate again.

This. It would be nice to have the authentications (optionally) stored in the cloud so that if a factory reset is done on a device, it could download all authentications automagically.

Napsterbater

Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:12 pm

IPv6! Its 2017 for crying out loud, It's older then you are as a company.

jeffmim

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:38 am

It would be great to have the ability to set duration of paid channel subscriptions through Roku. Since a lot of people now only get paid channels to binge watch something in particular (like HBO Now with Game of Thrones), being able to set a subscription period (1 month, 2 months, etc.) would make it easier on the Roku user as opposed to possibly forgetting about unsubscribing and keeping something longer than needed.

john262

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:08 pm

I would like to see a high end Roku player with both a digital audio out jack (either optical or coaxial or both) and analogue RCA audio out jacks. At present the only current Roku model with RCA jacks is the entry level Express+.  I would love to have RCA jacks that would let me connect my Roku to my vintage amplifier that doesn't have digital or HDMI inputs. But I want to use a Roku with dual band capability, an Ethernet jack and 4k support. The Express+ doesn't have any of those features.

KenSoren

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:41 pm

Just bought a TCL Roku TV and am really pleased so far. 
Only improvement I can offer would involve the sleep timer. We use the sleep timer every night and it only has half hour intervals to choose from. Having 15 minute intervals would work much better for us. Maybe a choice in the setup for 15 minute or 30 minute. 
Ken S
Roku Ultra, Roku 3, Roku 2 and Roku 1
Samsung 65 inch SUHD KS8000 using Samsung smart hub for all connections.

miniskunk

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

I would like to see a try it before you buy it option for paid services like apps and screensavers from the Roku store allowing the user a reasonable time of no more than a couple hours to decide if they want to keep it. Do nothing and the charge remains or press an on screen option to request refund within the trial period if the user doesn't like or wasn't what was expected. Alternatively, the ability to preview the full functioning app w/o actually buying first, as opposed to only static screenshots, for 5-10 mins could work as well. This would reduce customer service requests asking for refunds and would go a long way to increase user confidence in feeling safe when making purchases from the store.

cusquinho

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:33 pm

+1 for press and holding home button to turn the TV off

PG_Segal

Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:16 pm

One thing I'd like to see on the Roku interface is a bookmarks or favorites page.  This would come in handy if you happen to be looking at a channel and find something you'd like to watch at another time.  

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm

PG_Segal wrote:
One thing I'd like to see on the Roku interface is a bookmarks or favorites page.  This would come in handy if you happen to be looking at a channel and find something you'd like to watch at another time.  

I've heard here that a lot of channels, Netflix among them, won't allow this type of functionality on the devices it's on.

wizkidr0b

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 am

I'm surprised that this request has never made it to the device.  I would like the ability to send a message to the roku device itself so that no matter what channel was currenlty playing a simple message could be displayed over the top of it.  This would be a roku device message such as when your remote control batteries are low and you get a message over whatever is currently streaming.  The use case I have is that if i'm away from home (outside the network) or even upstairs (technically on the home network) I would like to be able to send a message to a device id, email or some other endpoint that will push a simple message to the screen.  I have kids who sometimes are watching with headphones and they do not answer a text or phone call or whatever because of having headphones on and I would like to be able to reach them when I know they are streaming through the roku device.  This would cover a vast array of use cases and could be used as a hook for other channels to push messages to the top layer.

For example, say I'm streaming netflix but I've requested that anytime a certain show is live on SlingTV to notify me even if i'm not watching SlingTV.  While I'm watching netflix, i get the notification and decide whether I want to switch to the program I requested the alert for.  Lots of uses for this messaging system (channel to device, external to device, etc)

thanks,
Robert

ApK

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:23 pm

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add direct channel number selection on Roku TVs.
A lot of us, believe it or not, still watch normal old TV channels, and having to scroll or pick from a menu is silly, especially if we want to automate with universal remotes, activites, etc.
It's hard to believe that Roku TVs support using universal remotes, and already have the full number controls in the code set, but don't allow direct channel entry!

Please tell me this coming soon in a software update!  I mean, if it's true then tell me.  Don't tease me.

Thanks!

ApK

tomyun

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 pm

I'd like to see unicode fonts built-in with new Roku OS. This is a deal breaker as we can't get non-latin subtitles (i.e. Japanese, Korean) on watching movies from Plex server. Probably it'd be a good addition for other apps wanting to expand over non-latin content. Can't believe it's still not covered in the year of 2017.

Bogarts Falcon

Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:21 pm

There are many great suggestions here, some of which I would like to see.  One suggestion I do not see, and that I would like, is a quick way to sort my channels.

Pops37

Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:55 am

Hi. Is it possible to incorporate a browser app into the ROKU environment? That could surf and access other web access that's not included in the add channel library?
Thanks