Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Pops37

Re: Feature Requests - Third Quarter 2017

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:51 am

Howdy. Please add sort & search options to pages with more than 18 channels to choose from. for example in the strean groups.
Thanks

rbuckla1

Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:14 pm

Firmware Freeze/Rollback:  Need to have a mechanism where users can suspend firmware updates to their units or rollback to a previous firmware release if a new version breaks a feature. 

seanman

Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:55 pm

[size=100][font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]First off, Big Roku fan and very long time user.  I have five of them.  

Now my complaint:  While I love the idea of a Roku feed, it really needs some work. 

First and most importantly, unfollowing something in the feed is extremely tedious.  There is no reason in the world (from a user experience perspective) that I should have to unfollow using the search function.  It took me forever to figure that out and the only way to make it tolerable was to use the Android app.  There needs to be an unfollow link in the feed itself.

I should also be able to choose which services I want to be notified about so that I'm not constantly bombarded with price changes and notifications about services I'll never use.  Imagine how great it would be if I could choose the "Good Place" and only be notified when a new episode appears on Hulu rather than hear about every price change that occurs on Amazon and Vudu forever after.  If there's a way to do this, I haven't found it.  And it pretty much makes the feed unusable in my opinion -- it's not a DVR feed replacement without this feature.

Thanks for listening.

Sean  
[/font][/size]

[size=65][size=100] Post Reply [/size][/size]

ddevonb

Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:28 am

In 2016, Apple TV added a nifty single sign-on feature. It meant that your TV subscription service username and password (cable, satellite or streaming) would automatically be passed on to the many so-called TV Everywhere apps. I would love to see that on Roku... not only for me but for my less tech savvy friends.

I would to get a Roku for my brother, but having to sign in repeatedly would be a deal breaker for him. He doesn't even go on his PC to check e-mail. :)

I've have a Roku since 2010 and have had every best model since then. Recently I've gone with Playstation Vue and now use only My Roku Ultras to watch TV. 

DutchB

Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:10 pm

rbuckla1 wrote:
Firmware Freeze/Rollback:  Need to have a mechanism where users can suspend firmware updates to their units or rollback to a previous firmware release if a new version breaks a feature. 

+1. 

thewelshbrummie

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:22 pm

I'd appreciate getting UKTV in Britain onboard and launching a channel for UKTV Play.

To be clear, I do not mean the existing UKTV channel that livestreams mainly OTA channels available in the UK - that is not what I'm after.

I'm requesting a channel for the UKTV Play catchup service that is currently available on ios, Android, browsers (as linked) and on Amazon Fire devices. It's the one main OTA catchup service that is available in the UK  but is not available on Roku devices. It's pushing me to getting a Fire TV stick for my parents unless Roku can get the necessary licences to add a channel for UKTV Play (which covers content from the OTA channels Drama, Dave, Really & Yesterday).

It's the only "channel" or app that is missing from Roku that I want.

Jayaro

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Roku TV updates
• OTA channel guide - grid style. (See amazon fire edition TVs from Element)
   • If that's not available - show us what's on next in the info
• More CEC controls besides volume on sound bars - such as Blu Ray players.
($99 TVs from 8 years ago can do most of the above)
• More subtitle support for Roku Media Player (especially media played through a sever).

Jayaro

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:10 pm

ApK wrote:
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add direct channel number selection on Roku TVs.
A lot of us, believe it or not, still watch normal old TV channels, and having to scroll or pick from a menu is silly, especially if we want to automate with universal remotes, activites, etc.
It's hard to believe that Roku TVs support using universal remotes, and already have the full number controls in the code set, but don't allow direct channel entry!

Please tell me this coming soon in a software update!  I mean, if it's true then tell me.  Don't tease me.

Thanks!

ApK

I agree - the "tv input" button on my DirecTV remote will switch inputs on my Insignia Roku TV. The arrow buttons work as expect, but you can use channel up and down to do the same. They are actually decent universal remotes even if you don't have DirecTV anymore. You can usually find them at garage sales for a buck. 

avtella

Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:10 am

WiFi/networked speaker support would be nice.
TV: LG 47LW6500 (47" 1080P)
Media Players: Roku Ultra (4660X), Chromecast 2, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio
Router: Netgear R7800
Modem: Technicolor C2100T
NAS: Netgear ReadyNAS 524X
ISP: CenturyLink (36/4 Mbps Bonded VDSL2)

wiser

Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:09 am

Hi,
  I searched for Hangouts and video calling and didn't find anything so hopefully this is not a duplication.  

The feature request is to add Video Calling capabilities.  Create a capability on the Roku receiver to enable a USB webcam plus microphone as an input, and create an app which can initiate a video call which is displayed on the TV.

Commercial options for this cost $100s,  Since the Roku is already a powerful video & audio processor, the capability gap would seem to be the ability to recognise and enable a webcam and thereafter to use the various messaging protocols to display a contact list, select a contact and initiate the call.  I think this would need some work done on the Roku itself to be able to enable the Webcam - and maybe a partnership with an app like Tellybean might make more sense than developing video call set up capabilities yourselves.  But given the price of commercial video solutions, it could be a nice additional enterprise level capability to add to the Roku product line which us home users would benefit from too :-)

A.
Now:
Roku 3
Plex Server running on dedicated small Ubuntu Box
NightHawk R7000
Samsung TV
Same Pioneer amp
and about 30 other devices.....

Back in 2005:
Roku HD1000 Rev B
Buffalo Linkstation 160GB

Brettface

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:10 am

MPEG-2 decoding.

DenBirnie

Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:08 pm

For Outside America - aka The Rest Of The World...

- Add New Zealand as a country and/or T+13 as a timezone!  (Seriously, Lord Howe Island gets on the list!?!??!!!)
- Get Amazon to update their region locking for the Amazon Video channel (there _is_ an Official New Zealand stream... but not on Roku!)
- Remove the region lock for the free official Android Roku Remote App (don't get this one - the apps useless without a Roku, and you've sold me a physical remote along with the Roku...)
- Allow the predefined buttons to be reassigned if there's no service in my region (Use It or Loose It guys!!! And if I can't have the Remote app, they shouldn't have a dead button)
- Talk (nicely) to fireCore/Infuse about doing an Infuse channel (I jailbroke an old Apple-TV and installed their $40 distro just to get their sweet UI & functionality)
- Think Global, think the next 6.5 Billion customers...

Den

PS - Is cool that your power brick is universal and that NetFlix isn't region locked.

codybrum

Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:26 am

I have a TCL Roku TV so I’m not sure if this is something the Roku OS would manage or the TV provider but I’d love a way to dim the screen beyond the normal brightness settings. It would especially be nice when listening to music in a dark room but there are other times when it’d come in handy (like having the news on before the sun rises or even listening to a game as you fall asleep).

Similarly, I’d love something like F.lux for Roku that adds warmth to the screen. It’s a nice feature on phones and laptops and while a TV wouldn’t normally need it automated, it’d be a nice option to toggle quickly.

cazclocker

Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:13 pm

Private listening on the Roku app, for my older Roku 2. This is my first post!
"I hate quotations."
... Ralph Waldo Emerson

gkl

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:29 am

I haven't posted on this quarterly thread in a long time, but the only one I used to ask for which I'd still like to see implemented is the user option to passcode individual channels/settings/channel store.  And as my children get older, I have even less need for that feature.

Rokus have advanced remarkably since the first one I bought back in 2011. Keep up the good work!
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)