Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JeffACR

Re: Roku 7.7 software issues

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Innominate wrote:
To add to my post from yesterday. Got home today. Woke up the roku. Losing signal every few seconds. Screen just goes black and lose audio. Unplugged hdmi. Waited a ~30 seconds plugged back in. Still dropping signal. Other sources work fine. I decided to change resolution with screen still blacking out every few seconds. Changed from 4k uhd hdr to just 4k uhd. Loss of signal stopped. I then changed back to hdr and everything still OK.

I do not want to have to do this process every time I want to use roku.

Is this a software,  hardware,  roku or samsung issue?

I would do a roll back of the software update since it seems to be a large issue for a lot of us. how to roll back from 7.7 to your previous 7.6 follow the codes on your remote
Roku 'Downgrade' from firmware(Start at Home Screen)
Home x5
FastForward x3
Rewind x2
Click on "Update Software"

rockou
Topic Author

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:39 pm

I see my Roku Ultra updated to 7.7 4116-29 last night around 7 PM.
Still not fixed with the HDMI handshake issue. I still have to switch receiver inputs then wait 30 seconds or so and switch back otherwise the Roku display flashes, drops audio and sometimes turns purple. Tried switching back to 4:2:0 and it is still very unstable with the display flashing. Set it back to 4:2:2 and while still not fixed it does stay more stable on that setting.

Any news on what this version supposedly fixed? I don't notice any difference.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

rdwiggins

Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:02 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
SlackerRadio does not work 7.7 (audio mutes after 10 seconds, until next track, then muted again after 10 seconds...etc). Reverting back to 7.6 and it works correctly. Since I pay $10 a month for the premium service, needless to say 7.7 makes it useless AND a liability*.

Roku 4210 and 3710 both do this, in HDMI and composite (the latter on the 3710). The 4210 allowed me to "update" to 2 versions of 7.7 (as well as 7.6), neither one worked. Only 7.6. I'm hoping that the daily update will ignore this...unless it is a firmware/Slacker update...;) and of course other app updates are not dependent on this firmware update (note: this is why people requesting "do not update my Roku" are delusional; if you do not update you lose access to apps).
*I refuse to pay $10 for a mobile app; and though the Xbox360 version still works fine it's less convenient than the Roku 7.6 (plus the 360 version is 2 channel only; no ProLogic 2).

My two Roku's do likewise with V 7.7 -- stream audio for 10 sec and then mute audio.  I have Slacker Plus (the $3.99/mo account).  However, if I use an old free Slacker Radio Basic account, it works fine on V 7.7 and V 7.6 on both units.  The issue has something to do with the interaction between the paid Slacker accounts and Roku OS V 7.7.  I had Roku open a support ticket on the issue, and they're looking into it.  It's nice to see that I'm not alone in experiencing this issue.

Regards,
Robert

Nebo1ss

Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:18 am

rockou wrote:
I see my Roku Ultra updated to 7.7 4116-29 last night around 7 PM.
Still not fixed with the HDMI handshake issue. I still have to switch receiver inputs then wait 30 seconds or so and switch back otherwise the Roku display flashes, drops audio and sometimes turns purple. Tried switching back to 4:2:0 and it is still very unstable with the display flashing. Set it back to 4:2:2 and while still not fixed it does stay more stable on that setting.

Any news on what this version supposedly fixed? I don't notice any difference.

`T`his sounds like you are forcing the ROKU to resent the HDCP KEY. The way the system is suppose to work is that the Source "ROKU" sends an encrypted key to the  repeater "AVR" which de-crypts it and  re-encrypts it and then sends it to the SINK "Display Device or TV" any breakdown in that process will see errors.

I guess it depends on what happens between using the ROKU and coming back to it. In my case when I leave the ROKU i always return it to the home screen and invariably switch the AVR to some other source to watch something else. Are you by chance leaving the AVR powered and only turning off the TV.

rockou
Topic Author

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:47 pm

Nope, when I turn everything off I turn everything off.
Was working good until 7.7

UncleNine

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 am

I have 8 Roku 3's.  7.7 caused Plex to break.  Within 5 to 40 minutes of playing -any- video, the screen would break up, and sometimes (not always,) the system would freeze, requiring a reboot.  The Plex forum was no help, asking for all sorts of log files with either incorrect, useless answers or criticism that "not enough information" was provided.  Typical of these fora.  One very insightful guy read the logs and suggested a TLS error occurred immediately before the crash.  So, I disabled "Secure Connections"  in Plex, thinking that either Roku screwed up the security handshake/token protocol, or Plex was not in conformance.  This appeared to work on one film, but the behavior continued.  I then used the "secret menu" to back out of 7.7 on all my Rokus.  After 24 hours of multiple-film and vid testing, the problem is gone. 

Does anyone know if Roku is working on this issue???  I am concerned that my boxes will be "auto-updated" back to the 7.7 disaster.  Anybody?

shonks34

Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

Yes, I noticed just last night that we are experiencing sporadic issues with Plex on both our 3600 Streaming Stick and Roku 3 - 4200, same as you describe.  After anywhere between 5 minutes to an hour, the screen pixelates and sometimes we get screeching audio.  We are able to return to the Home screen and go back into Plex and resume.  

We were having issues with playback on most apps we use, Hulu, HboGo, Plex, Boomerang, but the latest 7.7. build resolved those issues.  However, the Plex playback issue still remains.  If I revert my devices back to 7.6, the issue is resolved.  The Plex playback issue is only present when our devices are running 7.7.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:24 am

Bug reported about the Plex video playback issue.

lotusmeristem

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:55 am

Please don't forget the issue with Amazon disappearing completely in 7.7....

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:59 am

Is Amazon channel still not available on 7.7? Are others seeing this?

JeffACR

Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:40 pm

UncleNine wrote:
I have 8 Roku 3's.  7.7 caused Plex to break.  Within 5 to 40 minutes of playing -any- video, the screen would break up, and sometimes (not always,) the system would freeze, requiring a reboot.  The Plex forum was no help, asking for all sorts of log files with either incorrect, useless answers or criticism that "not enough information" was provided.  Typical of these fora.  One very insightful guy read the logs and suggested a TLS error occurred immediately before the crash.  So, I disabled "Secure Connections"  in Plex, thinking that either Roku screwed up the security handshake/token protocol, or Plex was not in conformance.  This appeared to work on one film, but the behavior continued.  I then used the "secret menu" to back out of 7.7 on all my Rokus.  After 24 hours of multiple-film and vid testing, the problem is gone. 

Does anyone know if Roku is working on this issue???  I am concerned that my boxes will be "auto-updated" back to the 7.7 disaster.  Anybody?

Exactly what my issue was with the Roku and Plex. I hope they are working on it due to it being a huge issue.

atc98092

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm

What I found was that after one of the latest updates was that my channels were reordered on screen. I had to go looking for Amazon and Netflix (and a few others) and discovered they had dropped to the bottom. Once I moved them back to the top, they have remained. That's the first time I've ever had an update do that.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

dgmelvin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:17 pm

This makes 9 continuous months of bad updates from ROKU that keep me from being able to fully enjoy using the ROKU. I have two ROKU 3s both of which stopped working reliably with PLEX (AGAIN) after the latest 7.7 update. Netflix, HBO Now and Amazon also are having issues. Also has lost the wired network connection twice today without any drop in my interest service. Really poor job! I have loved ROKU for so many years. What the h*ll happened to your development and QA departments? You must have had a major turn around that has limited your ability to know how to fix things.

I think it is time to move to a different platform. I can't stand this. For so many years ROKU was the best thing out there. Not now. It has been broken pretty much the entire time since December 2016. Shame on you ROKU!!!! You just lost a champion and customer.

rockou
Topic Author

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:31 pm

Just got the 7.7 4117 update and sadly it is still not fixed with the hdmi handshaking/shaky/ purple screen and audio drop outs when in 4:2:0 and less so in 4:2:2

Come on Roku lets get these firmware updates under control.

As for the question is Amazon still available, I never lost it.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:43 pm

It has been determined that there is no new "disappearing Amazon" issue in firmware 7.7. The Roku Amazon app is restricted to US accounts.
rokudale