Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

CarvelEyeScream

Re: Roku 7.7 software issues

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:29 pm

boblinthewild wrote:
Pompey wrote:
Whatever is old is new again.  Please see this topic I had started a long time ago.  https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=82836
Ironically, about a year or so after I started that topic, in spite of all the feedback I received from forum moderators, Roku quietly implemented the ability to rollback software via the secret screen .... an ability which had not existed before.  We are all grateful for that small concession; as grudging as that accommodation might have been. 

Not sure that capability works well enough. Right after upgrading to 7.7 and seeing the problems, a Google search led me to the instructions on how to downgrade via the secret screen, and I happily went back to 7.6. Unfortunately, soon thereafter Roku auto-upgraded me back to 7.7 and the secret screen then showed only 7.7, with no ability to go back. From what I read, that happened to many others. What we need, IMO, is a way to always reliably go back to a known good release.

Right. I can access the secret menu, but my only option is to update to the same 7.7.0 4117 firmware I already have. Would be nice if I could truly rollback.

Elijah_Baley

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:41 pm

CarvelEyeScream wrote:
Right. I can access the secret menu, but my only option is to update to the same 7.7.0 4117 firmware I already have. Would be nice if I could truly rollback.

Earlier in this thread Roku did offer a way. Several pages ago a Roku employee posted exact instructions to email him with details of your equipment and then, withing a day or so, the update will happen automagically or you will be able to update (rollback) via the regular process.

While I think it is BS that we have to jump through hoops to get back to a properly operating firmware version at least Roku has provided a way to get our Rokus functioning properly again.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

boblinthewild

Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
CarvelEyeScream wrote:

Earlier in this thread Roku did offer a way. Several pages ago a Roku employee posted exact instructions to email him with details of your equipment and then, withing a day or so, the update will happen automagically or you will be able to update (rollback) via the regular process.

While I think it is BS that we have to jump through hoops to get back to a properly operating firmware version at least Roku has provided a way to get our Rokus functioning properly again.

Yes, and that was very helpful. But I believe it was a special, one-off thing and not something they routinely do.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 pm

Re: 7.6 Downgrade ---

As of 5pm last night, I sent another batch of serial numbers over to get customers into the downgrade list.  Another batch comprising those who sent emails after that and through 10pm tonight will be sent over shortly for entry into the list tomorrow morning/afternoon.

A number of you who have emailed me have either sent over incorrect or incomplete information, and/or have emailed me multiple times.  Please be certain that the email had the subject line of "7.6 Downgrade" and contained the following information exactly:

• Your Name
  • Roku Model Number
  • Roku Serial Number
  • A valid email address
(This information is in the Settings > System > About screen).

I've had individuals email me without the serial number, as well as no model number.  If you don't add the serial, I can't add you to the list.  If you don't add the model number (can't count the number who haven't), it forces me to research the model based on the serial number, which adds extra time to getting you added into the database.

Regardless, if you discovered you did NOT add the model number nor had the proper subject line, please don't send me another email if you've emailed before 10pm CDT tonight ... I already have you covered (unless I emailed you directly about it).  If you didn't send the serial number, PLEASE DO SO.

Otherwise, please be patient.  I'm processing these as fast as I can.

I'll update again tomorrow evening with further information.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RATT71

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:19 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just send a system wide downgrade on 7.6 to every Roku user until you iron out all the issues on the 7.7?

Bluebird

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:38 pm

RATT71 wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just send a system wide downgrade on 7.6 to every Roku user until you iron out all the issues on the 7.7?

I would like to know the answer to this as well. And another thing, the customer service department should be aware of these issues by now, and should be directing people to do the emailing of their serial number stuff. When I did a live chat with an agent they just told me to unplug my roku and router, and plug it back in again. Ive seen several complaints on Facebook, Twitter, and Reddit. So there most be alot more people having issues than are on this board, and Roku doesn't make any kind of post about this?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:58 pm

This was instituted on Thursday.  Everyone (except CS and I) were off-duty.  

*Edit 2: I've notified TPTB in CS to alert the call center about this thread.
Last edited by RokuShawnS on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrections & Clarifications
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

Bluebird

Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:44 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
This was instituted on Thursday.  Everyone (except CS and I) were off-duty.  

*Edit 2: I've notified TPTB in CS to alert the call center about this thread.

That's understandable, and I'm sure you guys are swamped and I appreciate all the hard work. It would just make sense for them to address the glitch just in case people think their roku's are broken and exchange them or throw them out.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:13 pm

RATT71 wrote:

Sorry Ratt71 and Bluebird ... I didn't see either of your replies.
I can't really discuss the internal reasons why this isn't possible (as of now), though I've forwarded the oft-repeated request before.  I hope one day it will be possible, but luckily this kind of Red Alert situation doesn't happen that often.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------

usman_itsrelevant

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:50 am

I am also facing video display issue on private and all other channels and I have Roku Express device (Model 3700X).

for details:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=105071&p=567208#p567208

atc98092

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:33 am

I thought I read from another Roku employee (Dale?) that the reason there wasn't a blanket rollback is because there are actually things in 7.7 that fixed issues for some people, and rolling them back to 7.6 would cause them issues. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Personally, 7.7 is working fine on my players. I'm traveling right now and using my Stick in the hotel with no issues. Watch YouTube and Amazon every night, as well as a handful of other channels. 
I'm finding myself watching Netflix so little that I'm considering dropping it. The vast majority of my watching is either my home media server (with Plex from the hotel or Roku Media Player when home), Amazon or YouTube. Netflix keeps adding "original" content that doesn't interest me, and removing (losing access) to things I might watch.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Nebo1ss

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm

RATT71 wrote:

Not everyone is having problems and want a downgrade. 

Pra1024

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:48 pm

I definitely need a downgrade. Nothing works now on Roku after 7.7.
Hopefully I'll get it tonight.
SL :  2LA55V018576
Model : 3500X

shpankey

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Same issue here w/ Plex on Roku... I've been wondering what was going on. FInally someone on the Plex forum pointed us all to this thread. It sucks but I'm just holding out for a 7.8 that addresses the issue.

RT87

Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:56 pm

It seems as if the issue regarding speed fluctuations with Netflix may be coincidental to the 7.7 upgrade.

It appears that in 8/2, there was a massive worldwide issue with Netflix. Also, the AWS servers have had many issues since that date as well.

Last night was only the second time since 8/2 that my Roku 2 maintained a 1080p signal via my wired connection.

All other apps youtube, Amazon..Hulu are fine on 7.7.