Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Olucy
Topic Author

How to Stop Constant Ads and Closed Captions

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:59 pm

First day Roku user so excuse if this is posted incorrectly.  

First, I'm watching a movie on "Watch Free Flix" but it's basically unwatchable due to the number of ad breaks. From what I've timed, it plays the movie for about 8 minutes and then it cuts and plays 5 ads. 5!!!  It counts them down. 1 of 5, 2 or 5 and so on.  And some are the same ads that just played 8 minutes earlier!!   How do I turn off all these constant ads.

Second, I'm hard of hearing and 9 times out of 10 depend on closed captioning. I went into Settings, Accessibility and set as "always on". But the captions aren't showing on the move I'm watching on the "Watch Free Flix". And I say "I'm watching" because I can't understand them so have no clue what's going on.

Any help is appreciated. Please note, no one would ever hire me to work in the IT Dept so please keep it simple and tell me exactly what to do and where to click 

Thanks in advance

makaiguy

Re: How to Stop Constant Ads and Closed Captions

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:38 pm

Most of those "free movie channels" are strictly ad machines, just as you've seen. While there may be a few "free" movie channels to which you can get a paid subscription that reduces/eliminates ads, I can't think of one offhand. The user experience is so bad many of us gave up on them long ago.

If the service you're watching doesn't send a stream that includes closed caption encoding, there's nothing the Roku can do to display text that's not in the stream.

Since you're new, it's probably worth mentioning that Roku doesn't create the channels, the channel owners do. The channel owners provide the user interface for each channel and supply the programming content. The Roku just displays what is sent to it, just like your tv displays the content it receives from cable or over-the-air antenna.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

Chasm

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 pm

So no one has posted the answer to the question?? How do  we stop the unwanted pop up channels that start installing themselves into Roku?? It's very offensive and it's bad enough we have to put up with the channels themselves and their advertising bs but now we have to put up with Roku crap as well??? What gives??? And this is on the home screen this isn't in the Roku channel which has more ads than any normal tv and which is why I got rid of it!

blade_005

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Olucy wrote:
First day Roku user so excuse if this is posted incorrectly.  

First, I'm watching a movie on "Watch Free Flix" but it's basically unwatchable due to the number of ad breaks. From what I've timed, it plays the movie for about 8 minutes and then it cuts and plays 5 ads. 5!!!  It counts them down. 1 of 5, 2 or 5 and so on.  And some are the same ads that just played 8 minutes earlier!!   How do I turn off all these constant ads.

Second, I'm hard of hearing and 9 times out of 10 depend on closed captioning. I went into Settings, Accessibility and set as "always on". But the captions aren't showing on the move I'm watching on the "Watch Free Flix". And I say "I'm watching" because I can't understand them so have no clue what's going on.

Any help is appreciated. Please note, no one would ever hire me to work in the IT Dept so please keep it simple and tell me exactly what to do and where to click 

Thanks in advance

I have not used Watch Free Flix, but you might try THE ROKU CHANNEL app. They have a growing library of TV Series and Movies and I find the ad load on the shows I have watched to be quite reasonable for a free ad-supported offering.
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SmartCast SB3651‑E6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:06 pm

Chasm wrote:
So no one has posted the answer to the question?? How do  we stop the unwanted pop up channels that start installing themselves into Roku?? It's very offensive and it's bad enough we have to put up with the channels themselves and their advertising bs but now we have to put up with Roku crap as well??? What gives??? And this is on the home screen this isn't in the Roku channel which has more ads than any normal tv and which is why I got rid of it!

Nothing is "installing themselves" - channels chose how they show ads, and many free channels exist primarily to show ads, that's it. Roku doesn't add its own ads to any channels. 

atc98092

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:15 am

If you don't want ads, then subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or one of the other premium services. For the price you pay, you don't get ads. Although Amazon sneaks one in occasionally before your selection begins, but it's only for one of their own productions. And as noted, no channel is ever installed on a Roku without you causing it to happen. Never hit the OK button in the screen saver, as sometimes that is linked to a channel being advertised in the screen saver itself. Hit any button except OK or Play to exit the screen saver. That's the only way I've heard of channels being installed without the person realizing it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

DubTaylor

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:33 am

atc98092 wrote:
If you don't want ads, then subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, or one of the other premium services. For the price you pay, you don't get ads. Although Amazon sneaks one in occasionally before your selection begins, but it's only for one of their own productions. And as noted, no channel is ever installed on a Roku without you causing it to happen. Never hit the OK button in the screen saver, as sometimes that is linked to a channel being advertised in the screen saver itself. Hit any button except OK or Play to exit the screen saver. That's the only way I've heard of channels being installed without the person realizing it. 

That, in no way, makes it less annoying... in fact, with no option to opt out (that actually works) it absolutely trips my (Hair) Rage Trigger... (lol)

The best way to insure nothing is installed without Owner Permission is to enable a PIN for channel/in-app purchases. <--- it works, but, in no way, makes having to do it less annoying...

atc98092

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:51 pm

I agree that it's annoying. I just never got around to adding a PIN to my player. My primary streamer is now the Shield, so the Roku doesn't get used as much. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.