Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

apodtele
Topic Author

HDMI ARC handshake issues

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:15 am

To begin with, I did manage to connect TCL Roku TV (49S405) with Yamaha RX-V575 AV receiver using HDMI/ARC and get it to work. The issue though is that when I turn my TV on and it wakes up the receiver the handshake fails and I get no sound. I have to manually switch the receiver input to some other channel and back to AV4 to get it to work. Both units have updated firmware.

I understand that the handshake is tricky when both units pretty much simultaneously power on. Does it have to be this way?

Why enabling HDMI ARC on Roku TV forces waking up of the receiver automatically? I do not have 1-touch enabled. I think that 1-touch on should mean both that TV wakes up and is woken by other equipment. I think, if I power the receiver manually after TV is on, this would avoid the handshake issues. Right now there is no way for me to decouple the receiver and the TV short of disabling ARC.

Roku, unlike other platforms, does not have explicit setting for the audio output choice. If ARC is enabled it takes priority. In my case it means that the TV finds ARC capable receiver by fails to handshake and I get no sound right away.

The problem with the handshake lies with the receiver of course and is fixed be cycling its channels. Still it is the TV who put the receiver in this position too early before it is fully on. I sense that the issue has an easy solution if Roku TV delays the waking of the receiver or give the user an option to disable automatic power on by ARC.

apodtele
Topic Author

Re: HDMI ARC handshake issues

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:03 pm

Here is more observations after spending another day with my "working" ARC connection between TCL Roku TV 49S405 and Yamaha RX-V575 receiver. The Roku version is 7.6.

The connection gets broken every time a new streaming video or commercial starts, or when I switch between antenna TV and streaming. Every time I can fix it if I cycle the receiver to some other input and back to AV4 (default for ARC). This definitely looks like some signal synchronization or handshake issue.

I still hate that TV wakes up the receiver the moment I turn HDMI ARC on. This is probably unrelated to the signal sync issues.

Anybody else has similar set up and experience, or found a fix?

Nebo1ss

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:17 pm

I think you should have 1 touch enabled. I  NO longer have ARC enabled because I got a Harmony remote and that takes care of starting everything. However, I used ARC for quite a while with a Samsung TV and the ROKU Ultra and never had a problem.

apodtele
Topic Author

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 am

I found a couple of similar reports searching for "hdmi arc roku tv" when components are recognized but either almost work or not at all.

Insignia Roku TV with a soundbar
TCL Roku TV with a soundbar

apodtele
Topic Author

Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:22 am

I got 7.7.0 build 4111-30 a few days ago, which did not change anything. Just in case this is up TCL or Yamaha alley I have filed requests with both of them along these lines:

Title: HDMI ARC *almost* working

This is my connection: Yamaha RX-V575 === HDMI ARC (AV4) === TCL TV 49S405.
Both units have recent firmware 1.30 and 7.7.0.

I managed the get get it to work: I get nice uninterrupted sound through ARC. Unfortunately, it stops working when TV switches to a new video stream, or commercial, or between streaming and antenna TV. In order to regain sound, all I have to do is manually switch RX-V575 to any other input and back to AV4. It works again until another stream event on TV.

apodtele
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:17 am

7.7.0 build 4135-30. I still experience ARC drops when I switch channels, recoverable by recycling the receiver inputs.

rjkays

Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Did you every get this resolved?  I have the exact same issue on a TCL 607P Roku TV and a Yamaha RX473 connected  through ARC.  

apodtele
Topic Author

Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 am

There is a PCM-Stereo workaround available. The DD+ or DTS protocols do not work with my current software.

chefwear

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:52 am

I'm having the same issue with a TCL 49S405 49" and a Vizio SB3630-E6. Thanks for posting your info and the work around. I'm giving it a try now. 

apodtele
Topic Author

Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Both units got updated to brand new firmware: TCL 49S405 is 8.0.0-4142; Yamaha RX-V575 is 1.34.
The ARC audio problem persists if Settings > Audio > S/PDIF and ARC is set to either Auto detect or Dolby D+, DTS.
Everything works for me with Dolby D, DTS! There is an on-screen warning that Dolby D+ is unreliable over S/PDIF. This warning must apply to ARC as well. This Roku TV user guide should also suggest trying less demanding protocols if home theater problems occur.  

jarcraig

Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:53 am

I have the exact same issue with TCL 65R617 and Yamaha HTR-3065.

To resolve I switched the HDMI ARC output to DD instead of DD+. It is a shame to lose audio quality, but the inconvenience of having to manually switch inputs back and forth everytime I start the TV to get audio working is too annoying.

From what I've read, HDMI ARC was designed to replace the need for the separate optical audio output cable from your TV. The optical cable only supports up to DD, not DD+. Thus by original design ARC doesn't support DD+ and is unreliable.