Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Waverly8940
Topic Author

Disable WiFi

Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Is there a way to disable Wifi ?  Not talking about 5G, just in general totally preventing any radio frequency from being emitted from the device .
I have hardwired USB to ethernet connection working and I do not want any microwave frequency in my house.

The unit I have is TCL roku 32s3750

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Disable WiFi

Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:11 pm

Waverly8940 wrote:
Is there a way to disable Wifi ?  Not talking about 5G, just in general totally preventing any radio frequency from being emitted from the device .
I have hardwired USB to ethernet connection working and I do not want any microwave frequency in my house.

Excuse my previously snarky response. I'm not sure there is any way to turn off the WiFi. But I doubt highly that the TV is giving off anything more than your neighbors are beaming into your house, or than you get from the sun on an average day. 

Waverly8940
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:01 pm

Actually 6 feet in front of TV edge of couch TV on 190 micro watts / m2    ;  TV off ( and unplugged drops to 16 micro watts / m2.  So there's greater than 10 fold increase in microwave with the TV.  For most homes as you mention this would not be the case.  Simply having a smart phone around within arms lenght or just beyond would increase the levels again by two more orders of magnitude.  So most intents and purposes in a normal home, it's not significant.  But for me on my couch it's greater than 10 fold increase over ambient levels.

The reference to ambient electromagnetic radiation from natural sunglight, implying that nnemf is ok and microwave has always been with us even on the beach remote island two hundred years ago, is incorrect.  Microwave frequency from the sun is like a whisper and so it it measure with huge radio telescopes.  In fact, cell phones are not allowed within miles of these scopes because they would be like a shout by comparison.  

FCC regulates RF radiation limit to not more than 10,000,000 micro watts / m2 this is based solely on thermal heating effects, tissue damage caused by direct heating.  It has always been assumed that there are no non-thermal biological effects to be concerned with.  This assumption has always been wrong.  

Havas Video

Long-Term, Low-Level Microwave Irradiation of Rats C.-K. Chou, A.W. Guy, L.L. Kunz, R.B. Johnson, J.J. Crowley, and J. H. Krupp Bioelectromagnetics Research Laboratory, Center for Bioengineering (C. K. C., A. W. G., L. L. K., R. B. J.), and Department of Biostatistics (J. J. C.), University of Washington, Seattle; USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Aerospace Medical Division, Brooks Air Force Base, Texas (J. H. K.) 

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA282886
 http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=ADA282886 

Since then we know it causes double strand DNA breaks.  I don't need to know what the public at large thinks about me for what I think, know or do.  I already know that.
I am not interested in anyones opinion about RF exposure.   

Regards

dfgsrzwer

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:11 am

It doesn't matter what you may believe, or what others may believe about you for believing what you believe. You can't turn it off.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:57 am

https://www.brendanlong.com/how-to-disa ... oku-2.html

Granted this is for Roku 2, but should work with any Roku with the Wi-Fi Direct Feature
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

twiceover

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:30 am

trekkeriii wrote:
https://www.brendanlong.com/how-to-disable-wi-fi-direct-on-the-roku-2.html

Granted this is for Roku 2, but should work with any Roku with the Wi-Fi Direct Feature

That will turn off the wi-fi direct connection.  But this person wants the wifi disabled entirely.  I don't believe there is a way to actually turn it off.  Snarky comment or not.  Mike was somewhat correct.  Not necessarily Tin-Foil, but if you wrap it in metal screening, it will certainly drop down the RF.  You could also open and unsolder the antennas.

dfgsrzwer

Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:46 am

twiceover wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
https://www.brendanlong.com/how-to-disable-wi-fi-direct-on-the-roku-2.html

That will turn off the wi-fi direct connection.  But this person wants the wifi disabled entirely.  I don't believe there is a way to actually turn it off.  Snarky comment or not.  Mike was somewhat correct.  Not necessarily Tin-Foil, but if you wrap it in metal screening, it will certainly drop down the RF.  You could also open and unsolder the antennas.

I know I implied in my reply above that snarky comments are irrelevant, but I'll go ahead anyway and say if someone wants to go through the trouble of unsoldering, then perhaps an OTT device is something they should do without...I'm assuming they have a router as well, which puts out far more EM than the Roku does.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Waverly8940
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:22 pm

Re: router.  Yeah I was able to adjust transmit power for 2.45 G and 5 G on my router remotely, or just turn them both off, and verified that it's purely ethernet now, that's it.  The only source is two TV's which are both connected via USB to ethernet converters.  Chromebook, same.  Yes, the roku is a rather weak source compared to the router (before I shut it off), and compared to several other things probably in particular at close range.  But again for my situation a ten fold increase in ambient levels doesn't work for me, or my girlfriend.

Taking it apart and unsoldering the antennas seems the way to go, besides unplug when not in use.

mindgazer

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Waverly8940 wrote:
Is there a way to disable Wifi ?  

Yes, it's actually quite easy, worked for me.  I opted for disabling the entire WiFi module... check out this link: http://nowifi.life/blog/how-to-disable-wifi-on-tcl-roku-enabled-tvs/

jinj

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 am

Waverly8940 wrote:
Re: router.  Yeah I was able to adjust transmit power for 2.45 G and 5 G on my router remotely, or just turn them both off, and verified that it's purely ethernet now, that's it.  The only source is two TV's which are both connected via USB to ethernet converters.  Chromebook, same.  Yes, the roku is a rather weak source compared to the router (before I shut it off), and compared to several other things probably in particular at close range.  But again for my situation a ten fold increase in ambient levels doesn't work for me, or my girlfriend.

Taking it apart and unsoldering the antennas seems the way to go, besides unplug when not in use.

Nope, can't be disabled, but if you connect only to Ethernet, it won't transmit very much at all.
To be safe, don't have any electronics in the house.

simplesolution

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:25 am

Question:
Is there any Roku streaming device I can purchase that utilizes Ethernet and HDMI in which I can disable all WiFi (EMF) emissions?

Why might a potential customer want to purchase such a device?
I have an autistic child that goes crazy around any EMF devices. We have our entire house cat 6 wired including Ethernet to lightning for iPhone/iPad, no microwave ovens, no WiFi cell data, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a straight answer from Roku customer support.

DBDukes

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:54 am

simplesolution wrote:
Question:
Is there any Roku streaming device I can purchase that utilizes Ethernet and HDMI in which I can disable all WiFi (EMF) emissions?

Why might a potential customer want to purchase such a device?
I have an autistic child that goes crazy around any EMF devices. We have our entire house cat 6 wired including Ethernet to lightning for iPhone/iPad, no microwave ovens, no WiFi cell data, etc, etc.

Unfortunately, I cannot get a straight answer from Roku customer support.

The Ultra supports an Ethernet port, but the remote is WiFi Direct. Yes, you can use an IR remote instead, but the Ultra is still transmitting the WiFi signal all the time. No turning it off.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mydiane

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:59 pm

I am having the same problem. We have a roku 3 streaming device and hooked it up yesterday to use with an ethernet cable. But when we turned it on, my Acousticom 2 meter went up to the highest reading possible and was screeching away. I didn't even have wifi turned on. I am sensitive to these frequencies and felt incredible anxiety, couldn't breathe, and felt like I was being punched in the gut. We had to disconnect everything. It looks like we will be unable to switch to roku and leave Directv if the frequencies coming off of the device using an ethernet cable are so high and dangerous. I wish you the best! 

twiceover

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Return the device, they cannot be turned off.

mydiane

Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:01 pm

Thanks, twiceover.