Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

glg1984
Topic Author

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 pm

rockou wrote:
Your TV is more than likely not the issue, the Roku Ultra firmware is I would bet money on.

Not sure if you work with roku but do you have any insight on if they’re working on a fix?

rockou

Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:32 am

No, I don't work for Roku. I have no idea if they are working on a fix, I just keep posting about it on here till hopefully they get sick of seeing the same problem being reported and they fix it.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

JMM1

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:53 am

rockou wrote:
No, I don't work for Roku. I have no idea if they are working on a fix, I just keep posting about it on here till hopefully they get sick of seeing the same problem being reported and they fix it.

I'm not sure this kind of thing matters anymore. On paper Roku looks good to investors. The shareholders, stock analyst, and stock price are now going to be the driving factor.
Releasing firmware that works is obviously very difficult for Roku right now. They may not be willing to invest the money that an Amazon, Apple, or Google could throw at the problem. The next 6 months should be interesting. I hope they get the issues corrected. As consumers we need Roku to compete with the big guys.

devaney1984

Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:12 pm

This happens to me CONSTANTLY, just bought this thing and it's done it with 4 different HDMI cords and both of my TVs...this is insane that it has this huge of a glitch straight out of the box.

sunofthepast

Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:50 pm

the ultra is buggy as heck it works great for weeks then they push a bad beta firmware, the situation will not get better, probably return it and move to another platform

Tbaudoin

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 pm

I get this at times as well. It randomly flashes and in some playback at random times has the dreaded purple screen 2.2 error.  This is ridiculous.  I can sometimes get it to calm down by flipping inputs, but that's not sane.  I'm using a control4 remote system, and I don't get the luxury of toggling an individual component, so I have to get out the master remotes.  

This is my second ultra, second set of cables.  This time AudioQuest Cinnamon 4K HDR certified cables, 2017 Anthem MRX720 Receiver that does NO video processing, so it's definitely not that part, and a 2017 Sony XBR75X940E.  All parts are on latest firmware including the Sony, which updated today.  NO change, it's still the roku ultra having issues.  And Yes, I have a UDPX1000 Sony 4K HDR player and it does't ever have a problem.  

I've never had an issue with the Roku 3 or older ones I've had, so I am fairly sure I've looked under every rock for a solution.  I officially put this in Roku's court.  For now, I locked the output to 1080p to see if I have any new issues to contend.  

rockou

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

The 8.0 software fixed this for me but the bad thing is next firmware update will probably fix it for others and break mine again. It doesn't seem to ever fix it for everyone.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Tbaudoin

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I went looking into system update and I’m on 8.0.0 build 3138. Set my display back to 4k60, checked perfectly now I’m gonna have to try some things. Will report back either way. It always seems to have the problem after it has sat overnight -the worst flickering anyway. My experience after a reboot or change in resolution is that it works sometimes perfect, then the next day or two it goes into complete flake mode. I killed the flickering last time by switching resolution, which I suppose forces a re-sync.

Tbaudoin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:30 am

Still flickering. Can’t use any 4k on the Roku Ultra. I need some help. Set it to 1080p so at least the box is usable.

It’s not my equipment, as I have absolutely no issue playing a 4k HDR Disc through the same cables, and I have never seen flickering until I installed these Rokus (have tried two) I have a new Roku Ultra going through an Anthem MRX720 out to a Sony 940E. The port is configured properly in the Sony -verified, and as far as I know the Anthem does nothing but pass the video. All equipment is new and updated.

Ultra serial number: YJ002E183987, build 8.0.0 build 3138-46

I would appreciate some help with this.

Nebo1ss

Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:58 am

I have experienced the same problem and have found temporary workaround that deal with this until ROKU issue a fix.

The first one i found useful was to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ.

The second  thing that worked for me was to change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0

Either one of these changes fixes the problem immediately for me. Hope it helps you as well

Tbaudoin

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:07 am

The main problem I have is in 4:2:0.  4:2:2 seems to work without a hitch.  The real issue I'm trying to ferret out is when I switch to Roku and it randomly unresponsive and I have no video sync.  It's a blank screen and I can't figure out what's causing it.  This has necessitated I take apart things to access the power on the Roku.  Quite a painful process.

I am having some questions now about Control4.  Maybe it's me, but I seem to be thinking the tablet is doing one thing and the stick version another -causing the issue.  Hard to explain succinctly... Basically I'm wondering if the way the tablet and stick talk to Control4 are different; thereby, a different command way it calls to switch that is the issue.  What's in my head is something like the Control4 stick uses IR? and the tablet wifi?  even though they are the same commands possibly one is sent to the control4 unit via wifi and one via RF, maybe a timing issue or something.  Will keep testing to see if I can NOT have a problem with the stick.  Will report.

ssteinkritz

Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:27 pm

Go into Roku settings and change the TV to a lower resolution. 

Tbaudoin

Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:54 am

Why change to a lower resolution? It’s working fine except for Netflix randomly loosing the 4k banner.

BobWargo

Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:40 am

I purchased a Roku Ultra to replace my Xfinity HD set-top box. I've experienced the same annoying sporadic black screen issues. I've tried all the "fixes" recommended by Roku (i.e.- setting lower screen resolution, HDMI cables, switch inputs, different tv....etc.) and still the problem persists. It's extremely difficult to accept there is no fix from Roku after so much time has elapsed. I made a bad decision replacing the Xfinity box and I'm close to returning the Ultra. Fix the problem Roku!

Hart

Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 pm

I am getting the flashing black screen as well. 

We have already tried the following to solve the Purple Screen issue.:
  1. Found the one magical HDMI port on the TV that supports HDCP 2.2. (The others only seem to support HDCP 1.4. How'd we do it? We set the Roku to Auto and tried every port one-by-one, until the Roku reported back that we could support HDCP 2.2. It would be HDMI 4, wouldn't you know.) 
  2. Switched to cables that supported HDCP 2.2 (not just 4K Cables. Thank you, Amazon.)
  3. Added a splitter between the Roku and the TV (to amp the HDCP 2.2 magic.)
So far, we're seeing the Black Screen flashes on ESPN via Hulu with LiveTV. (That should generate enough finger pointing.)