Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

BenRad15

Re: Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:03 pm

I too am having this issue since I purchased my Ultra. It goes through my Onkyo TX-NR656 into a Samsung 4K TV. I can get around the issue by switching the display type to 4K 60, but the Ultra will eventually reset itself back to automatic, and the flashing continues.
I've contacted support and they tell me there's nothing they can do.

roark43

Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:12 pm

Roku 4630X Premiere+, Software version 8.0.1 Build 4042-29. Hooked Samsung 1080i TV. It worked fantastic for a year an in the last month or two, has intermittent flashing with Netflix, Amazon, Vue, etc.

I've been a loyal Roku owner/user since November 2011 when we cut the cord--LOVE Roku! But their product isn't working right for me. Apple TV is starting to look really attractive if Roku can't fix the issue.

tendonut

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Brand new Roku user, brand new Roku Streaming Stick. After the initial setup yesterday afternoon, it started doing this. It's not consistent either. I was able to do a hard reset and it was fine for the rest of the day. But when I went to go use it today, back to the flickering. Its plugged directly into the TV, so no HDMI cable to cause an issue. 

Version 8.0.1 build 4042-55.

Needless to say, I am not impressed with this product, especially seeing so many others with the same issue. 

As a Linux guy myself, this behavior is very reminiscent of when Xorg has some display negotiation issues with a monitor. especially how it appears to be 3 "on-off" cycles in a row, then a 5 second pause with no problems, then another 3 "on-off" cycles. 

SpartaKris

Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

Settings>System>Control Other Devices>Uncheck the box

sdhull

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 pm

@tendonut yeah does seem reminiscent

Roku Ultra received in the mail today.
Firmware: 8.0.1 (updated as soon as it connected to the internet)

At first I was surprised that my TV 'format' menu would go haywire when the flickering happened as well, but now that I'm thinking about it, it makes sense. Input being temporarily interrupted would do that. Restarting, switching resolution between 720 & 1080, nothing seems to help. I've unchecked the "Control Other Devices" checkbox (which I had high hopes for!) but that didn't help either.

So my problem could very well by my ancient TV (been rocking this thing since 2007!!) that only supports 1080i/720p or possibly the questionable HDMI cables I've tried. However the fact that so many other people are having this issue makes me think I should just return it :(

sdhull

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:30 pm

So I had tried 2 different HDMI cables & 2 different HDMI ports (#2 & #3) but still had this intermittent flashing problem.

Turning the Roku off & on didn't help for me.
Toggling between 720 & 1080 would eventually produce a stable picture, but like others, as soon as I changed the input or turned the TV off and back on, the intermittent flashing came back.

What finally fixed it:
Using HDMI port #1. I had previously tried #2 & #3 but hadn't tried #1. I didn't realize that HDMI port #1 was special somehow.
Hope this helps

Flickering Screen

Sat May 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Problem Solved.
Go into Settings.
Display Type.
Set it to 720p TV.

Your TV screen should immediately stop flickering.

TEW

Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 am

I recently ran into this problem after buying a Roku Ultra to replace my Streaming Stick - I wanted the Ethernet port.

My Ultra goes into my Samsung Sound bar (HW-M550) then the sound bar goes into the 2009 Samsung 1080P TV. 

I did a lot of troubleshooting - checking firmware, reset the TV to factory settings, etc. I finally solved it by doing the following:

1 - Unplug TV, Sound Bar and Roku.
2 - Unplug HDMI cable from Roku
3 - Wait a short time.
4 - Plug HDMI cable back in
5 - Turn on everything.

I have all 3 devices on a power strip - so power is applied all at the same time.

This solved it until I did a Roku reboot using the remote (when YouTube TV was having some sort of Outage) So then I did the process again and it solved the problem. So it has been tested twice but YMMV.

Hopefully this will help at least one person.

fastzombies

Solved Roku Ultra flashing black screen.

Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 am

I have a Samsung all-in-one home theater system sending video into a 2012 Panasonic plasma TV that still works fine and is very bright.  Roku2 XS into the Samsung worked fine with this setup for years, but the old Roku2 has been getting slow and unstable and reboots were taking a ridiculous amount of time.

So I get a Roku Ultra and have this same flicker problem.  No amount of settings fiddling worked.  Then I read the very nice write up in this thread about the overly sensitive handshaking between the Ultra and any Samsung SmartHub device and noticed most people with problems had a Samsung of some sort.  So before before buying a $120 cable as suggested, I reconfigured the system and it solved the problem, but with a caveat:

Instead of running the Roku into the Samsung, I run the Roku into the Panasonic then SPDIF audio out to the Samsung SPDIF audio in.  Flicker problem solved.

Caveat is that the Samsung receiver is now basically a soundbar.  I've lost my Blu-ray player, which isn't a big deal.  I also have a Chromecast, but my particular Panasonic TV has a second HDMI in that for some reason is intolerably dim.   So I've lost my Chromecast as well.  Fortunately, I only ever used it for YouTube and the Roku YouTube app seems to work fine with our Android phones for YouTube streaming.  Now I don't need a new receiver or TV or a $120 HDMI cable.  Your caveat is whether or not your particular devices and/or setup requirements can accept this setup.

Samsung SmartHub is crap, but since the old Roku2 worked fine, this is a Roku Ultra problem and Roku is acting in very poor taste to let this problem go unaddressed for so long.  They have the market share for streaming devices and are acting like they can't lose it.

I hope this workaround helps someone.

alittlewino

Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:15 pm

same flashing black screen issue on a Telstra supplied Roku - I have 2, 1 has been perfect, the other about 1 yr old started the flashing on a frequency of about 20-30secs, and just flashes off for 1 sec and then on again

simply unplugged it from power for 24hrs, replugged to power and watched a 2hr movie last night without issue - go figure

Itzkylehomie

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

So I’ve had my TCL Roku 55” 4K tv since December 2016.... and a day or two ago, I started having the problem where only half (right side) of my screen flashing black. It’s extremely annoying. Have no idea why it’s just randomly started doing it, but it does it on every app... YouTube, Espn, Netflix, even the home screen now. Tried a factory reset...still did it.

Literally just turned my brightness down from Brightest, down to normal, and the problem seems to have stopped. I haven’t seen it do it since (it’s been about 15 mins or so). Now the moment I turn the brightness back up, it starts again. I’m not sure what to make of it honestly

kur341

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:20 pm

There is an option in advanced settings for display refresh rate. Fixed the issue for me:

How do I configure the display refresh rate?
The auto-adjust display refresh rate setting can be enabled or disabled from the settings menu on your 4K capable Roku player. The setting will NOT change when your Roku player reboots or when the software updates.

Press the Home button home on your Roku remote.
Scroll up or down and select Settings.
Select System and then select Advanced system settings.
Select Advanced display settings.
Select Auto-adjust display refresh rate and choose from the following:
Enabled – Your Roku player will automatically switch to the native format of the movie, video or TV show when playback begins.

Note: Due to video mode changes by your TV, the picture may flash to black when starting and stopping playback. These video mode changes occur more often with channels like Netflix, that automatically play video content when browsing the channel interface.

Disabled – Your Roku player will output ALL content at 60fps.

rjxtnevy

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Changing brightness from maximum to normal fixed this for me.

Hope this helps someone.

911jason

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 am

Just started happening on my Premier+ connected to a Sony 4k. Been using this setup for about a year just fine and out of the blue the black screen flashes started. So frustrating.

Sevrard

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:08 am

Nebo1ss wrote:
I have experienced the same problem and have found temporary workaround that deal with this until ROKU issue a fix.

The first one i found useful was to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ.

The second  thing that worked for me was to change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0

Either one of these changes fixes the problem immediately for me. Hope it helps you as well

Can you please explain how to change the video setting to 4K HDR 30 HZ instead of 60 HZ and change the advance setting from 4.2.2 to 4.2.0
Thanks