Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mauiman
Topic Author

Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

So I buy a Roku express for use on vacation.
I go into the Netflix app and before I can even get to "My list" the Roku starts playing "Jerry before Seinfeld".
Now, Jerry before Seinfeld is NOT on my list. Nor will it be.
How do I stop this short of unplugging everything and tossing it into a large trash can?
Unbelievably annoying.
I called Netflix and they said it's not them. That leaves Roku as the culprit.
So Roku, how do I turn this "auto play whatever pops up on Roku Express" OFF???
Why is it companies think they know what I want more than I do?

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:59 am

No, it IS Netflix. Roku doesn't write the app. Roku doesn't install the options for that app. Roku approves or disapproves the app. Netflix controls everything within it.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikebdoss

Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:15 pm

It's unlikely you can turn it off, and as stated above, this is Netflix's choice, not Roku's (regardless of what the tech support person told you). 

You can hate it all you like, but your best bet is to ignore it, and watch the shows you want to watch. If you can't do that, Netflix probably isn't for you. 

adam1991

Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:42 pm

So the answer is "either deal with it or dump Netflix"???

Wrong-o.  I found the answer:  dump Roku.  Get an Amazon Fire TV.  Netflix on Fire TV doesn't do that.  Fascinating, eh?

Seriously.  The Fire TV is so much better of a streaming device, it's not funny.

This is in fact all Netflix's choice.  They specifically chose to do this on the more powerful Roku platforms.  Eventually a Netflix VP came out in a press release to defend this behavior as somehow being "good" for the users.  No doubt that was the numbnuts VP who came up with the cockamamie idea in the first place.

But apparently he executed it ONLY on the Roku platform with enough processing power, and not on the very powerful Fire TV.

I first noticed it on my Roku 3 players.  I called Netflix and almost cancelled right then and there.  Then I noticed that it wasn't happening on my Roku TV.  Hmmmmm, looks like my cheap Roku TV isn't powerful enough to support that "feature"...

Anyway, I switched to Fire TV and have never looked back.  I've replaced two of my Rokus with that, and have plans to replace the remaining two soon.

You know what else I got with Fire TV?  The new Hulu app, complete with profiles.  I've been rocking that for several months now.  And here I read today that it JUST now is available on Roku.  Really?  Arguably the streaming platform with the widest audience, and they ignore it until now?

I just went to one of my Rokus, hoping it had been upgraded. Nope.  And I don't see a way to force the upgrade.  We'll see how long it takes.

jeffrok

Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:16 pm

My Roku isn't doing the auto-preview video/audio tonight.. On my TCL Roku TV, at least.. Hopefully it's going away for good on all devices!
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

twiceover

Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 am

Check your account settings and see if "Test Participation" is off.  Also look in your Playback settings to see if you have a new setting for auto playing netflix original previews.

scottypie1234

Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:25 am

adam1991 wrote:
So the answer is "either deal with it or dump Netflix"???

Wrong-o.  I found the answer:  dump Roku.  Get an Amazon Fire TV.  Netflix on Fire TV doesn't do that.  Fascinating, eh?

Seriously.  The Fire TV is so much better of a streaming device, it's not funny.

This is in fact all Netflix's choice.  They specifically chose to do this on the more powerful Roku platforms.  Eventually a Netflix VP came out in a press release to defend this behavior as somehow being "good" for the users.  No doubt that was the numbnuts VP who came up with the cockamamie idea in the first place.

But apparently he executed it ONLY on the Roku platform with enough processing power, and not on the very powerful Fire TV.

I first noticed it on my Roku 3 players.  I called Netflix and almost cancelled right then and there.  Then I noticed that it wasn't happening on my Roku TV.  Hmmmmm, looks like my cheap Roku TV isn't powerful enough to support that "feature"...

Anyway, I switched to Fire TV and have never looked back.  I've replaced two of my Rokus with that, and have plans to replace the remaining two soon.

You know what else I got with Fire TV?  The new Hulu app, complete with profiles.  I've been rocking that for several months now.  And here I read today that it JUST now is available on Roku.  Really?  Arguably the streaming platform with the widest audience, and they ignore it until now?

I just went to one of my Rokus, hoping it had been upgraded. Nope.  And I don't see a way to force the upgrade.  We'll see how long it takes.

Anyone who suggests that Fire TV is a better video streamer than Roku is flat-out wrong. 
From Digital Trends:
Video quality
At the level of 4K streaming boxes, video quality between devices becomes a bit of a wash. 4K Ultra HD video is the crispest, clearest, and highest-quality picture currently available so resolution should be even on each system.
Looking a bit closer, however, not all of these devices are totally equal. The Roku Ultra, Nvidia Shield, and Chromecast Ultra all stream up to 4K 60fps, and are [color=#4693b7][font=proxima_nova, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]HDR compatible. While the Fire TV is technically capable of 4K, it doesn’t support HDR, and its framerate is capped at 30fps. The absence of HDR on the Amazon Fire TV could be an issue if you have an HDR-capable TV and want the very best picture quality. That said, don’t be too put off by the 30fps limitation. Most 4K Ultra HD content delivered at 24fps (for most movies) or 30fps (for TV shows) so the biggest exception will be YouTube videos. In addition, the Chromecast Ultra offers support for the two most prominent HDR standards in HDR10 and Dolby Vision, making it the most versatile, while the Roku and Nvidia streamers only support HDR10. As such, the Chromecast Ultra takes this category by a nose.[/font][/color]
[font=proxima_nova, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]Winner: Chromecast Ultra[/font]

DubTaylor

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:55 am

FireTV spanks Roku's little naked hiney until it's glows pink - then it runs home to Mama.

Unfortunately for Plexers, Plex can't create an AFTV app worth a hoot, so it seems one box to do everything simply isn't possible. I use my AFTV for some things, I use my Roku 3 for others (now that I finally got the 'good' FW).

Get used to it.

jeffrok

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:14 am

FireTv and Roku are both about equal. One beats the other specs-wise, and the other wins in the sheer amount of unbiased content.. Try to watch Vudu or Google Play Movies on an Amazon Fire box. It may be able to be sideloaded, but the average user isn't going to want to sideload. Or try finding horror channels or more adult-themed stuff in the Amazon store..

If all you want is Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon services, then yes I'd give the edge to the Fire TV.. you just can't beat the variety you get from a Roku box.

To say the FireTv is a far superior streaming device is an exaggeration. Yes, I own both.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

DubTaylor

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:22 am

jeffrok wrote:
FireTv and Roku are both about equal. One beats the other specs-wise, and the other wins in the sheer amount of unbiased content.. Try to watch Vudu or Google Play Movies on an Amazon Fire box. It may be able to be sideloaded, but the average user isn't going to want to sideload. Or try finding horror channels or more adult-themed stuff in the Amazon store..

If all you want is Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon services, then yes I'd give the edge to the Fire TV.. you just can't beat the variety you get from a Roku box.

To say the FireTv is a far superior streaming device is an exaggeration. Yes, I own both.

I have 11 channels installed - I use 4 of them regularly. I don't need 8 thousands channels of crud.
For what I use them for - my AFTV is top dog around here most of the time.
My Roku3 (now that I've been through the flaming hoops and have the working FW) leads the pack for Plex - everything else goes through AFTV and there's no comparison. The performance race can't be won by my Roku3. It's not even a race.

I will not even consider another Roku at this time.
Roku has ruined their reputation in this neighborhood and if they ever want to be asked back to the dancehall again - they have a LOT of work to do.

belltown

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:38 am

scottypie1234 wrote:
While the Fire TV is technically capable of 4K, it doesn’t support HDR, and its framerate is capped at 30fps.[/b]

Amazon is expected to release a 4K HDR 60 fps device by the end of the year: http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-these-are-the-two-new-amazon-fire-tv-models-being-released-in-2017/
https://github.com/belltown/

Elijah_Baley

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:44 am

DubTaylor wrote:
For what I use them for - my AFTV is top dog around here most of the time.
My Roku3 (now that I've been through the flaming hoops and have the working FW) leads the pack for Plex - everything else goes through AFTV and there's no comparison. The performance race can't be won by my Roku3. It's not even a race.

I will not even consider another Roku at this time.
Roku has ruined their reputation in this neighborhood and if they ever want to be asked back to the dancehall again - they have a LOT of work to do.

I have Rous, Fire TV, Shield TV and several other streaming devices. Up until just recently my favorite, by far, was the Roku. However due to both the Roku's stability problems and changes made by Plex that have been "less than user friendly" I stopped using Plex and discovered that, for my needs, Emby does everything Plex does and does it better,

Because of that discovery I examined the three main streamers in my usage and found that the Emby app was great on both the Fire and the Shield. In fact it is so good that I now use the Shield for 90% of my viewing and the Fire sits as a backup. I keep my Roku active for exactly one app, the MLS. The Roku is the only device I own that has a reliable MLS app that actually plays the matches rather than just highlights and other fluff that does not interest me at all.

My other app I often use is WatchESPN and the versions on the Fire and the Shield are much better than what is on the Roku.

I am even considering getting a Shield for my bedroom.

I never thought Roku would screw up to the point that only one app keeps them active in my household but they have and, in my house, the Shield TV is now the number one streamer.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss

Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm

I ended up giving away my Roku 3 (the last Roku in my house) recently - AppleTV (current version) gets all my usage now.  It has the apps I want (except Amazon Video - I can watch that on my computer or old Fire Stick if I want, but it hasn't come up), the voice control on the remote is amazing, and it integrates with the rest of my devices nicely. Its Plex app also gets a lot of attention, which is also good. 

I wouldn't rule out getting another Roku, but right now I can't imagine what features it could have that would entice me. 

Heyitsrick

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:36 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
I ended up giving away my Roku 3 (the last Roku in my house) recently - AppleTV (current version) gets all my usage now.  It has the apps I want (except Amazon Video - I can watch that on my computer or old Fire Stick if I want, but it hasn't come up), the voice control on the remote is amazing, and it integrates with the rest of my devices nicely. Its Plex app also gets a lot of attention, which is also good. 

I wouldn't rule out getting another Roku, but right now I can't imagine what features it could have that would entice me. 

It seems like there are quite a few "I've left Roku" posts from those who can't quite seem to be able to quit the forum, itself. Why is that, I wonder?

mikebdoss

Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:44 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:

It seems like there are quite a few "I've left Roku" posts from those who can't quite seem to be able to quit the forum, itself. Why is that, I wonder?

I can still help people with general questions, i still like hearing about new features/problems, and it's familiar.