Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
User avatar
DubTaylor
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Location: W[By God]V

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:25 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Heyitsrick wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
I ended up giving away my Roku 3 (the last Roku in my house) recently - AppleTV (current version) gets all my usage now.  It has the apps I want (except Amazon Video - I can watch that on my computer or old Fire Stick if I want, but it hasn't come up), the voice control on the remote is amazing, and it integrates with the rest of my devices nicely. Its Plex app also gets a lot of attention, which is also good. 

I wouldn't rule out getting another Roku, but right now I can't imagine what features it could have that would entice me. 

It seems like there are quite a few "I've left Roku" posts from those who can't quite seem to be able to quit the forum, itself. Why is that, I wonder?

I can still help people with general questions, i still like hearing about new features/problems, and it's familiar. 



Not to mention the Roku I do have - likely my last - I use for Plex so I'll need to stay right here to deal with the inevitable FW debacle that turns my Roku into a little Black Brick...

Why is that - I wonder?

Rhetorical - asked and answered.

It is important to remain active in the hopes when Roku reads how unhappy previous happy users are - so unhappy they'd never touch another Roku with a 10 foot pole (unless something drastic happens) - Roku may snap out of it and start doing something different.
Last edited by DubTaylor on Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
reddice
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:38 pm

The Fire TV 2nd gen stick does the auto play annoyance as now does the 4th gen FTV.  Netflix does this purposely to try to get to to watch there mostly crappy original content the worst being that the auto play trailers are quite offensive.  It won't be long until every device except the really old ones that are on Blu-Ray players and the 2nd or old gen Roku that don't have proper profiles.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 am

The solution is simple, cancel Netflix. They are never going to listen to complaints and they will continue to inflate their terrible app with useless annoyances like auto play and auto preview. They are also now providing edited versions of TV show episodes without the recap segments at the beginnings and they provide a lot of videos without the original hard coded text as it was originally produced. Netflix is a cesspool if you haven't jumped ship you are a fool to give them your money every month, it's only going to get worse never better.
 
huskerbear
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:02 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
DubTaylor wrote:
For what I use them for - my AFTV is top dog around here most of the time.
My Roku3 (now that I've been through the flaming hoops and have the working FW) leads the pack for Plex - everything else goes through AFTV and there's no comparison. The performance race can't be won by my Roku3. It's not even a race.

I will not even consider another Roku at this time.
Roku has ruined their reputation in this neighborhood and if they ever want to be asked back to the dancehall again - they have a LOT of work to do.

I have Rous, Fire TV, Shield TV and several other streaming devices. Up until just recently my favorite, by far, was the Roku. However due to both the Roku's stability problems and changes made by Plex that have been "less than user friendly" I stopped using Plex and discovered that, for my needs, Emby does everything Plex does and does it better,
 
Because of that discovery I examined the three main streamers in my usage and found that the Emby app was great on both the Fire and the Shield. In fact it is so good that I now use the Shield for 90% of my viewing and the Fire sits as a backup. I keep my Roku active for exactly one app, the MLS. The Roku is the only device I own that has a reliable MLS app that actually plays the matches rather than just highlights and other fluff that does not interest me at all.
 
My other app I often use is WatchESPN and the versions on the Fire and the Shield are much better than what is on the Roku.
 
I am even considering getting a Shield for my bedroom.
 
I never thought Roku would screw up to the point that only one app keeps them active in my household but they have and, in my house, the Shield TV is now the number one streamer.

Been thinking about the Shield box. Did they ever get Vudu? that's a must for me. If they did is it the regular app like on Roku or the neutered one they were forced to put on the Apple tv? Thank's
 
User avatar
reddice
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:07 am

Emissary35 wrote:
The solution is simple, cancel Netflix. They are never going to listen to complaints and they will continue to inflate their terrible app with useless annoyances like auto play and auto preview. They are also now providing edited versions of TV show episodes without the recap segments at the beginnings and they provide a lot of videos without the original hard coded text as it was originally produced. Netflix is a cesspool if you haven't jumped ship you are a fool to give them your money every month, it's only going to get worse never better.

I agree.  I bet what will coming soon is annoying NF original promo's for shows popping up while you are watching something.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am

reddice wrote:
Emissary35 wrote:
The solution is simple, cancel Netflix. They are never going to listen to complaints and they will continue to inflate their terrible app with useless annoyances like auto play and auto preview. They are also now providing edited versions of TV show episodes without the recap segments at the beginnings and they provide a lot of videos without the original hard coded text as it was originally produced. Netflix is a cesspool if you haven't jumped ship you are a fool to give them your money every month, it's only going to get worse never better.

I agree.  I bet what will coming soon is annoying NF original promo's for shows popping up while you are watching something.

You and others have been saying that for years. It still hasn't happened. Netflix isn't going to inject commercials/promos into their content (in fact, they're probably under contract with rights owners that say they can't). 
 
Cangrokouser
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:04 am

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:10 am

Or you can sign the petition. https://www.change.org/p/netflix-netflix-auto-preview-must-be-a-user-controlled-software-setting
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:14 am

Petitions on the web accomplish absolutely nothing, especially in a case like this where the company knows some people dislike the feature via other feedback methods. 
 
adam1991
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:02 pm

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:09 am

I'm revisiting this to say that my Fire TV box (*not* stick, those are silly), 2nd generation, continues not to do the auto play crapola on Netflix.  It never has, not since I first got my first one a couple of years ago.

And my Roku 3, my last remaining Roku, does do the auto play thing.  (Again, my lesser-hardware Roku TV that I had for a year or so didn't do this, so it's a matter of horsepower on the Roku platform).  It's done it since Netflix turned the feature on, and it continues to do it to this day.

And that's why I finally replaced it a few weeks ago with another 2nd gen Fire TV box.

It's funny that Netflix is NOT using the generic Fire TV interface but is clearly using their own app; so why aren't they doing this "all-important" thing on Fire?  Or is this being driven by Roku and not Netflix?  That's the most logical answer.  Roku wants its users to think of it as "TV, you turn it on and it just starts up"--and they got Netflix to help them with it.

And frankly, I find myself watching less and less Netflix as time goes on.  I wonder if I'd miss it...
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:49 am

adam1991 wrote:
And frankly, I find myself watching less and less Netflix as time goes on.  I wonder if I'd miss it...

After their last price hike, I decided we weren't watching Netflix enough to keep it. Haven't missed it at all. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
User avatar
DubTaylor
Posts: 425
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:27 pm
Location: W[By God]V

Re: Netflix auto play GRRRRRRRRRRRR

Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:51 am

atc98092 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:
And frankly, I find myself watching less and less Netflix as time goes on.  I wonder if I'd miss it...

After their last price hike, I decided we weren't watching Netflix enough to keep it. Haven't missed it at all. 

My life was so much better after cancelling Netflix Streaming it probably added 10 years to my lifespan.
I recently added streaming again for a family member that doesn't mind the world's worst user experience (Basic:480p - maybe). I don't have to watch it and eventually those shows/movies arrive in my mailbox wherein their UI plays no meaningful part... lol

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests